Regional - Mid Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

maryland veip

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default maryland veip

okay, i've had my tc since november of 04, and just last week i got my notice that i am due for emissions testing before june 13 of this year. so i took it in to the veip station in air park and i have to say it was a freakin joke.

just rolled up. guy asked me out of my car, collected $14 dollars, asked me to open the gas tank. asked him if it was a problem that the gas cap was attached to the car. he just told me to go wait in the enclosed area. i watched him get in pull the car to the other end of the garage and then he told me i was finished. i didn't even see him plug in the obd computer or nothing.

now i don't know if this changes every couple of years as they get older, but nearest i can figure is that as long as your car doesn't have noticible smoke coming out of the tailpipe, or a cel, they don't care at all. i remember then running my 95 explorer on the dyno with a sniffer on the tailpipe. i was waiting praying that the cel didn't come on cause it had a habit of doing that. but i lucked out and it didn't go off that day.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

it is a HUGE joke
but i cant fit over the rollers, so they let me go
eventhough i dont have to for them to plug the OBDII in
but they are some stupid f-ers

its a waste of $14, but id rather it be a joke than a hassle
Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I noticed them doing this same thing at the VEIP station off Broken Land Parkway in Columbia, but only for one lane. There were like 4 lanes open, but only one was having cars pulled through without any semblance of a test...I don't even think there were rollers on the floor.

I wonder if this is a new policy (officially) or if the VEIP attendants don't care. Anyone know if there has been a law change regaurding VEIP testing?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

not as far as i know in MD
but at almost all VEIP stations they have characters like that
they dont bother to check anything or do anywork, just let everyone pass through
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

when i had my jetta (with a6v head swap and SC complete with CEL i.e. shouldn't have passed)
they asked if they could see how fast it'd turn the roller on the dyno, 153mph later they let me go stating it was impressive

the test is a joke
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

There are 2 things funny about all this:

1) I have a 93 firebird with headers, catback, CAI, everything is street and emissions legal in 50 states etc etc. While I was at college last year it was due for its emissions inspect so my Dad fired it up, and drove it down there and it failed by like .2 or something small and stupid like that, and gave me a notice. So I was freakin out about having to take of everything, make it stock, etc etc BS. I end up just letting it sit in my garage for about a year until like two days ago, my dad decided to take it up to the VEIP place again, this time after letting the car warm up for a bit, and it passed fine. Dispite having a big damn fine for waiting that long, it was fine. Whats funny is my emissions fine car that just needed to be driven a little longer prior to testing failed first time, passed on the retest, but emissions illegal cars are being passed because they are "impressive". Your right, it is a joke

2) There is all this rumbling and bumbling with the government and environmental lobby groups about making cars produce less emissions and using E-85 (which might actually be worse for some people with breathing disorders) and Flex Fuel (which also is encountering some problems I read but can't prove at this moment) and yet all these higher ups can't even see the little guys at the bottom, who are supposed to be adminstering the VEIP tests, not doing their jobs and just passing cars. For all the national hysteria about better emitting cars, there is no account for Joe VEIP Attendant just saying, "I like your car" or "I am sick of my job" and just passing the car.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my mom was telling me that because of how the toyota prius hybrid drivetrain operates, it can't pass virginia emisions test for some reason.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Is it because depending on the speed your going, your either running on electric or gas power?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, something like that. i think that you have to run the car on a treadmill and it has to cruise at that speed. but once the car is at that speed, it probably only uses the electric engine to cruise and thus the gas engine shuts off and you have no emissions is suppose.

don't know for sure cause i don't know much about hybrids.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i couldn't find the story for virginia, but here is one for georgia: http://www.egmcartech.com/2007/04/16...aving-feature/
Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I went through emissions today. They plugged in an OBDII reader and checked the gas cap. The guy who talked to me when I pulled up was a jerk. I asked him repeatedly if I was too low to drive over the rollers and he said "no youll be fine". He then drove my car over and was about a 1/4 of an inch from buying me a new front lip.

VEIP employees = State worker = normally dont care and do a crap job.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by BrianxB
I went through emissions today. They plugged in an OBDII reader and checked the gas cap. The guy who talked to me when I pulled up was a jerk. I asked him repeatedly if I was too low to drive over the rollers and he said "no youll be fine". He then drove my car over and was about a 1/4 of an inch from buying me a new front lip.

VEIP employees = State worker = normally dont care and do a crap job.
yup
luckily the tards didn't damage anything
Old 04-25-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

hahahaha
so i just saw that they are trying to toughen emissions and testing in MD
hahaha
Old 04-25-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn. i guess i shouldn't of posted about it! somebody must have read my thread and told the government! damn my big mouth! guess i'll have to cat my turbo kit after all...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

haha
Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well i got my car in jan 05... so i should be getting my notice sooner or later... and i think my car IS too low to get on the rollers, and ill request to stand next to them the entire time they do my test (too much money in my car for dumb ***** to mess it up).

also, the airbag light being on isnt a problem with the test correct? i dont think it does, but wanted to get others views.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
well i got my car in jan 05... so i should be getting my notice sooner or later... and i think my car IS too low to get on the rollers, and ill request to stand next to them the entire time they do my test (too much money in my car for dumb ***** to mess it up).

also, the airbag light being on isnt a problem with the test correct? i dont think it does, but wanted to get others views.
no, emissions has nothing to do with your airbags
so the light being on wont be a problem
not all stations have the rollers, so you may get in a line without the rollers and not have issues
but the dumba**es dont realize they can do the OBDII test and then have you back out, becuz the machine is before the rollers, but they can do wut they want
id rather not get tested and have them give me a pass
Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY

how low are you? i have the trd drop and i took my tc to the veip station on 124 in airpark. i went through the garage all the way on the left, the rollers were pretty low. and they don't even run it on the treadmill, they just drive it over. i didn't see any in the information pamphlet that said your air bag light couldn't be on. it only really cared about the cel.

anyway, you have to go to the waiting area, which is a big glass booth right next to the row your bring your car into. your are pretty much right next to your car, just separated by a glass window.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

trd drop with a lip kit. plus my rear is really low (wheels are tucked) cause of my sound system.

yeah i know about the glass booths, but with my car ill still request it
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yea i dont think im goin to mak eit over the rollers?? tein s-tech drop -2.4 in front with the kaminari kit???? how often do you have to get it tested for emissions??? and i have a custom exaust with not muffler will that be a problem???

Quick Reply: maryland veip