Notices
Regional - Northeast CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT
View Poll Results: Where should we move to?
Buffalo, NY
22.22%
Philly, PA
77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Advise on moving to East Coast! (Buffalo, NY OR Philly, PA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
I moved to SC for 3 years and it made me want to come back here. If I had to live there for say, 3 more years I'd have had to kill myself. That kind of thing
LOL...where in SC did you live? I grew up there. I've been in PA since '85.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Center city kicks major butt, best china town and wireless internet everywhere.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by matt_a
I moved to SC for 3 years and it made me want to come back here. If I had to live there for say, 3 more years I'd have had to kill myself. That kind of thing
LOL...where in SC did you live? I grew up there. I've been in PA since '85.
Greenville/Greer/Spartanburg. I actually liked it there, but I felt out of place in a "you're a yankee ain't ya?" kind of way.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Greenville/Greer/Spartanburg. I actually liked it there, but I felt out of place in a "you're a yankee ain't ya?" kind of way.
Hehe...yeah, they're still fighting the civil war down there. I lived in Sumter. I liked it too, but I like where I'm at now even better.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if u gonna attend temple u. dont live around there. unless u dont mind investing in some firearms and a bullet proof vest. live up in the northeast area and drive down there.

i've lived in philly all my life. and i lived in all parts of philly. i grew up in north philly (25 and master!!!) and now i live in the northeast. rent up here aint too bad. i'm payin $600 a month for my apartment (closet). its so small that wen i walk throught the front door i'm already in the bathroom.

btw temple is a great school. i went there. but i didnt make it out. i was there to learn but instead partied like its penn state.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have been to both locations briefly, Philly was really cool. Plus Philly looks great on the Real World (MTV).
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

you should come to Virginia.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

IF you are planning on moving to the east coast for dental school
why not try
The New Jersey School of Dentistry...
It is near north jersey.. piscataway i think?
one of my co workers went there..
she graduated this january after 2 year program.
and she's currently puttng her resume together
for like 5 interviews in the same town...
and new jersey isnt that bad...
anywho... thats my $.02 .. .good luck
Old 01-10-2005, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why not stay in SF, CA. There's UOP (now renamed Dugoney? school of dentistry) along with UCSF dentistry (I think)
Old 01-12-2005, 06:21 AM
5 Year Member

whats up. little input. ive lived in buffalo for 7 years now, originally from europe. worst thing about hereis bad roads, they will take a toll on your car, unless u keep off all the bad streets which is pretty damn hard. lately there has abeen a lot of contruction in the suburbs, so if u live out there i guess its not so bad. ub is a real good school, its my 4th year attending there. there are two campuses and i believe that med students go to the south campus because there is a hospital right across the street. snow isnt that bad actually if you're at all capable of driving in it. cold is a problem, especially if u leave ur car outside and let that thing freeze on yuo haha. as far as the club/bar scene. its so-so i guess, summer is kinda cool with all the watter and things u can do there, my choice is mountain biking, and there ar ea lot of trails around here. canada is pretty much 10-15 minutes away. and if u ever miss the big city, u cant go wrong with toronto. its awesome out there, i used to go pretty much every friday, its a really short drive (if u press it u can get there in hour and a half or less) cost of living in buffalo is real cheap, for around 100k u can get a real good deal on a house, especially if ur in the city. traffic at 5 o clock keeps moving most of the time, unless ur on I-90. all in all i dont think buffalo is that bad, except for the cold part. if u can suck it up for a few months and dress warm, u should be fine :-)
Old 01-16-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the replies, after a lot of thought, the choice is PHILLY! (unless we get a last minute acceptance to UOP or UCSF)

I just got back from Buffalo and it's not for me The people are *really* nice, the school is top notch, and I could handle the cold (not as bad as I imagined), but I just felt so isolated. Outside the city, there's nothing for miles! Life is slow just like the traffic lights

Plus, there isn't the cultural diversity that I'm accustomed to. Maybe, I was just paranoid, but I got a lot of stares everywhere I went - like they've never seen an Asian person before.

It was still a fun mini-vacation. Niagara Falls, Wings at Anchor Bar, etc. I don't know if it's an east coast thing, but the pizzas are AWESOME! way better than anything I've had in Cali, that's for sure. (But, what's up with the steak pizzas!? ) Beef on 'wek is pretty nasty.

Oh, and I saw only one xB - but there was an endless amount of Cavaliers and Neons!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Welcome to the East Coast !!! I hope to see ya in future meets!! :D
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

and once you come to Philly, you'll be able to have their "famous" cheesesteaks!!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ugh... if you care for your health you'd never eat a real philly cheesesteak.. (as we like to say... its heartstoppingly good).

Anyhow I live in NYC.. I don't really know where you should go. I guess if its only for the duration of school, anywhere upstate is not a bad choice... though you'll be far off from any big city hot spots.

But if its for settling down somewhere, if you are a city person, philly is probably the better choice (though last time I was there.. there are some spots which are truly... ghetto).

But of course nothing beats NYC....
Anyhow as dealing with the cold.... I have one tip...
learn to love fleece or wool (but preferably fleece)...
and get something that covers your ears (like a head band... or a skully or something)
a scarf is a pretty good idea too.
the wind and chill will cut right through anything cotton.
oh yeah learn to layer too... usually when its really cold three layers plus a jacket.
North face or some equivalent made for ski wear but not really ski wear is kind of trendy and warm.
Remember to wear inner layers that don't look like crap... cuz when you go indoors and people got the heat turned up, you'll be peeling off the outer layers.
I can't stress enough the importance of fleece...
oh yeah and if you are the type... chap stick to help with wind sheer on the lips and some sort of moisturizer for the face may be in order.
good usuable gloves made of suede/leather/fleece is nice... girls can get away with mittens.
Thermal socks (long socks) can be really helpful... generally the thigh area never gets noticeably cold, but you may want thick boxers to keep you from freezing your ... well you get the idea...

ok that was many tips but anyhow good luck