Notices
Regional - Northeast CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT

getting a loan: are interest rates high now?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default getting a loan: are interest rates high now?

About six months ago, out of curiosity, I applied online for a loan through my local scion dealer and I remember it being around 5%. I was just looking online now and noticed that they are all 6.5% and higher.

Have general interest rates gone up? Should I wait to get a loan to see if rates drop? My credit is excellent, so that isnt my concern.

Any suggestions on what I should do consider the current rate of loans?

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

interest rate just went up unfortunately...may be a long wait for them to drop
Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they are not expected to drop for quite a while.. just keep gradualy goin up
Old 11-17-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interest rates are tied into the Fed's prime rate, which has been raised a couple % points over the last year or so. As it goes up, the interest rates charged by lenders for car loans (and credit card APR's!) tend to go up. Bankrate.com is a good site to look at to shop for good interest rates. Rates won't drop any time soon, but they aren't likely to climb much higher.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Banned
SL Member

It all depends who you listen to. Me, i take my financial info from several reputable sources. All of them say that the FED ( Allen Greenspan ) will continue to raise % rates to keep inflation in check. I wouldnt expect the FED to drop % rates for the next few years. It was thought that with the 2 hurricanes in the Gulf that the FED would hault the increases. He didnt, it went up 1/4 point a month after.

When the FED increases the % rates ... it goes across the board. It cost more money to borrow money. Yet, it also makes money in savings .. CDs .. and bills. My savings % rate went up almost one whole point since the spring. With this the % rates for mortgages have also gone up. The highest they have been in a few years.

That being said ... check with you local bank for % rates. Then check online banking for their rates. When i bought my box back in April of '04 the cheapest place to get my financing was with Toyota Financial @ 4%. 2 months later it was up to 4.5% If you have great credit, it pays to shop around.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member

i had same problem. they go up about every six months, and from what I've heard, interest rates aren't supposed to go back down for at least another year or so. I would buy sooner just in case it goes up again. I bought mine early october and the rates had just went up. Your best bet is to go through a credit union or apply for a loan elsewhere. As long as you have long established credit.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned
SL Member

i forgot to mention i looked into credit unions too. Unless you belong to a union or one of your family members do then your sh*t out of luck. If you in the military you can get great loans too.