Regional - Pacific Mid CA, NV

Speeding Tix Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Speeding Tix Help Needed

Fair and square I got a speeding ticket. (The reason to me was fair - Running late to work because I had to double back due to forgetting my heart medicine. The same meds that I missed a few days the month prior and stopped my heart which led to a 911 call and the whole 9 yards.) The cop was even nice enough to not add on all the other things he could have. IE front window tint, modified exhaust, no front license plate, intake...ect. Unfortunatly it was markewd as CVC 22350 - Excessive Speed in Walnut Creek. The amount is $258 if I want traffic school. Many people have told me to go and plead guilty and try to get the cost reduced. Does anyone know if that is possible to do, and if I have to ask when I go or just plead guilty and expect him to lower it automatically? If anyone is a cop and know that would help. Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hrmm... i would maybe just explain to the judge your situation without adding the stuff that you have on your car... but i think that the judge would be some what forgiving and maybe reduce the ticket... besides that i dont know... depends how fast you were going too...
Old 05-15-2006, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

plead guilty with an explaination and let the judge know what happened and why it was so important (what happened the month before) and ask for a reduction in the fine. As long as you do not have a bunch of speeding tickets they will usually reduce to about $108 and the explaination will be the icing on the cake. You should be able to get about a 50% reduction at the least.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

What is your driving recrd like? If it's clean (i.e. no tickets), youcan ask the judge for probabtion before judgement.
There's no guarantee you'll get it, but basically, what would happen is that you'd be on probation for 3-6 months. If you have no further incidents, the ticket would act as if it never happened, you'd just have to pay the court costs.

If you had any other incident within the probation period, you'd be found guilty of the original ticket, by default.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Check out www.ticketassassin.com for some good ticket info.

Good Luck
Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

hrmmmmmmmm thats interesting! I have had a few tickets and have gone to court.. I said I was guilty and no costs were ever reduced and damn judge would only give me 30 days to pay.. others ask for more time and they get 90 days. I don't know whats up with that!
Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had a speeding ticket 7/7/03 and one more in 04 that i had removed. Getting it reduced would be great. But Id be more than glad to get a 90 day extension and not jeopardize me being able to go to traffic school. Or do community service so I can stay less broke than I already am.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You go plead no contest he drops the fine then you say yes you want traffic school done deal
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by -Keith-
You go plead no contest he drops the fine then you say yes you want traffic school done deal
still make sure you ask for a reduction in the fine to make sure they know thats what you are looking for.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

by asking most judges wont give it to you
Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 AM
SL Member

If you had a valid reason for speeding, in this case, a medical one with proof of a past medical emergency in related circumstances, I'd see if you could score some documented proof of the stuff that happened last month with the heart medication. That'll atleast add validity if you use that in traffic court, and may buy some sympathy and compassion from the judge, but not all judges are the same.

The 2 other speeding tickets will not be a huge issue, I don't imagine, because they were so long ago.

On the other hand, you already got lucky with the initial stop and the violation count, and the officer overlooking some obvious violations. You already got that break, I'd ask for a reduced fine, go to traffic school, and be done with it. Maybe ask for a reduction and/or an extension, but be prepared to explain why you need either, the judge will want reasons you can't pay the full price now or then.

Good luck, anyway. Stay healthy.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a lawyer that handles criminal law and traffic matters. Most can get the fine reduced substantially and maybe keep it off your record. The going price in the Detroit area is $150 (if lawyer is a friend of a friend) to $500. Money well spent if you ask me. I managed to keep 99% of tickets off my clients' record, which results in the insurance rate not rising. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a lawyer that handles criminal law and traffic matters. Most can get the fine reduced substantially and maybe keep it off your record. The going price in the Detroit area is $150 (if lawyer is a friend of a friend) to $500. Money well spent if you ask me. I managed to keep 99% of tickets off my clients' record, which results in the insurance rate not rising. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have both medical release papers I can bring. So I would just need to show proof and ask the judge to do what he can? Will this jeaopardize my opportunity to do traffic school if I try to minimize the fine?
Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 AM
SL Member

It shouldn't. The medical issue isn't an excuse, it's a valid cause although it can be argued that you weren't speeding to get your medication, you were speeding to get to work.

With the medical forms and the information around why you were speeding, you should be fine. I'd give the extension or reduction in fine a shot. Traffic school shouldn't be an issue if you were offered it in the first place as an option.

Post back with the outcome when your court dates comes.