Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
United Imports
Balliztik
SL Member

Ok since you are trying to change our whole M&G location which I think is POO I will NOT be at Denny's instead I will be at the normal M&G location, If you wanted to change where we have regularly met you should have created a new friday like maybe 4th friday for the south enders so we have something to do other than drive up to Marysville. The 2nd friday is the TACOMA M&G not puyallup...that is not right to change it without our input some people do not want to drive to puyallup and by you coming in and changing this is not being very considerate of us..........think about it
Old 02-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Balliztik
SL Member

I am going to go to the Tacoma meet & greet spot, That's where it has been for the last 18 months that I have been going to. Who ever is there see you there.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so i'm assuming everyone is still going to meet at the normal spot, then all driving to denny's?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve, I'm hearing these grumbles from a number of different directions...

There have been a whole lot of folks who have worked very hard and very consistently to get the Tacoma meet established as a very stable meet with a known location, and known time.

For the past four months this meet has met or exceeded 30 cars showing at each meet.

What you have just done by coming in and changing the location by ten miles WITH ABSOLUTELY NO DISCUSSION and with only two days notice to folks who already planned to attend the Tacoma Meet at Tacoma is at best split the meet.

I would be shocked if 30 cars showed now.

I suspect you may get ten cars in Tacoma at the usual spot, ten cars in Puyallup if anyone can find the location, and the rest will probably just say the Hell with it and not show.

It's great that you got a dealership to sponsor a meet by popping for food, but damnit, you have to work with the community, not against it.

I believe I made a serious error in just going along with your sudden take-over of the Tacoma M&G when you announced in this thread you were changing the location.

I should not have changed the header of this thread to something people might notice and repeated your little page two notice that you had moved the meet from a little "by the way" comment on the second page to something in bold print in your first post.

I apologize to the community and will go now and revert this topic to exactly the way you left it, Steve.

I will also go to Meetup.com and revert the Tacoma M&G information to the way it has been for over a year and a half.

Thanks for working with the dealership on sponsorship, but you must also work with the community, not just dictate to them.

Tomas
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
United Imports
Balliztik
SL Member

Thank you Tomas
Old 02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Steve if you still plan on doing this....might see if some of the south folks want to join us for a drive up there on Friday.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

me, my son and Nesa will be in Puyallup....if its just a one time thing, its not gonna kill anybody to try somethin new....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm, my posts seemed to have been moved, or removed, don't know why, they were about this event, not any m&g's. In any event, Steve, if you are still planning your event, let me know either here or in a PM and we will attend, after all, its only an hour and a half drive for me.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM
United Imports
Balliztik
SL Member

It wouldn't kill anybody IF it's a one time thing.........
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that's how i interpreted it, as a one time deal. seems like steve is switching restaurants every time or something. IMO, i think for next month, everyone should meet at the normal spot, then if steve has something we can all go together.

either way, i will still try to make it up from lacey (family bbq, if i'm not wasted).
Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBLOVE
It wouldn't kill anybody IF it's a one time thing.........
Ive kept my mouth shut cause I didn't want to ____ people off.. But here it is: this is freakin stupid to argue about on ALL ends, and yes I am friends with all parties arguing here.. From reading this post about the change to Denny's it didn't sound like he was changing every event.

Like Chris said above, I will be at the denny's meet with him cause I'm up there this weekend to spend time with him and blaze. I would love to be able to see everyone (cough Jenn.. cough Cindy) and even come up with a compromise of meeting at t-town at 730 and heading to puyllap (sorry don't know how to spell it)

I don't understand why EVERYONE is upset because last months meet sounded like a blast.. From my understanding with talking to dealers in my area the way it works for being 'reimbursed' by scion it has to be in there general area, hence the moving to their town. I also understood that the Tacoma dealership wasn't thrilled with the other dealership coming onto their 'turf'

Seriously can't we all get a long and come up with an agreement? I'm making a trip from freaking Milwaukie to Puyallap, Rob is coming from Kelso (think thats where he lives) whats 10 miles when I am traveling 130+ meet at T-town and head to Denny's.. Sheesh I'll pass out the $2.09 it will cost you in gas (and not even that much) if its that big of a deal
Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

uhh... wow.. try and actually do some work and the forums go to heck in a handbasket... looks like there needs/needed some clarification on if this is "after the m&g" or "instead of normal loc" ...that woulda cleared everything up i think

that being said... i will not be making either event 2/13/09 ... between jenn flying out the next day for 4-days and another thing i am going to... my friday is booked...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's fine, Janesa, but the two new scion folks I handed cards to this past month who said they would try to make the meet at Tacoma Place in Tacoma (and whom I do not believe are on ScionLife.com yet - I'm not sure) will find at least me standing in the parking lot where I said we would be if they show up.

I can understand the need for a dealer to sponsor only in their "area," especially in today's automotive economy, but in all rational worlds, a little bit of coordination with the folks running an event and adequate notice so people can be made aware of any changes really is necessary.

I do not know if the people meeting as scheduled in Tacoma will then trek to Puyallup to join up with those at Denny's, but even your idea of meeting early (7:30) in Tacoma so we could get to Puyallup not long after 8PM doesn't work: People will be showing up per the plans they already made, and that will for some be between 8:00 and 8:30 at Tacoma Place.

(Why? Because they have no idea that on page two of some topic the location was changed on them or on page three meeting early was suggested.)

I'm not against Scion of Puyallup sponsoring an event, I'm not against having events in Puyallup. What I am against is breaking what people have spent so much time and effort building with last minute changes that not everyone has any chance to find out about.

I feel that in some way I owe it to the folks who didn't catch the hidden changes in an odd topic on one web site to be where we said we would be.

I don't want those folks to show up at an empty parking lot on a dark, cold, rainy night and have no one there to greet and welcome them.

Everyone else can do as they damned well please, I'm following through on a commitment I already made.

Tomas
Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

sooo then why doesn't someone call steve and say 'hey here's our idea, because so many people don't use SL can we meet at t-town then cruise your way and be there between 830 & 9' explain why in a nice, calm rational way.. then we all get what we want, fun times, nice cars and our friends... I don't know steve and tellin him that I am some random chic in oregon he might not believe me.. so come on call the man already.. lets do this.. oh and also when u talk to steve let him know that we love what the dealers do for us, this just might make it simpler... for EVERYONE involved, new, old, and random OR guests like me....
Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Steve hasn't even been logged on to ScionLife.com since this little firestorm started, Janesa. He doesn't get on here all that much.

When he logs on again and catches up on what is going on I'm sure he will have some suggestions on what everyone can do.

In the mean time we'll do the best with what we have.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

I was just thinking a call might be a lil better so he doesn't get a HUGE suprise with all this convo today.. I know that he is working very hard on this event, and unfortunately I think some of the convo today could be discouraging to anyone in his position, so if we can lessen the blow then it might make it better.. Heck I'll call him, he doesn't know me but I'd gladly do it..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Go ahead, give him a call. Probably wouldn't hurt to give him a running start on fixing this...
Old 02-11-2009, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

In all my experience with Steve he is a GREAT guy and the last thing he would want to do is stir up a bunch of crap by trying to take over a meet and greet. I am sure that this could have been avoided completely by contacting him with concerns in the first place.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doug, none of this would have had to happen at all had Steve contacted ANYONE in the community before singlehandedly attempting to change an event's location with essentially zero notice.

I'm sure Steve meant well, but if he is going to change something that is already planned and advertised he should at least contact the people involved.

Steve jumped in and unilaterally decided that HE had the power to take over and change someone else's planned event without so much as saying hello before doing it.

Steve IS one of the good guys, and has done much for the community over the years, but this particular thing was played too close to the vest and without any contact to those involved until it was suddenly sprung on us all.

Now we have folks ganging up, taking sides, threatening to leave the community (or actually leaving), etc., etc.

We now even have a rift between the "OGs" and the newer active members.

Sadly, whether intended or not, there has been damage.

Hopefully this will all sort itself out, but things have been done/said that will not just go away.

Personally I don't run events, I simply attend them. My concerns are the effects on the Scion community and ScionLife.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Uhhhh I saw that 2/13/09 post a while back and it didn't seem like he was changing an event location, rather posting a new one. I did see other people asking if that was the tacoma m&g.

I don't care either way as I would not go to either because it's too far for me (I did make it one time ) but I don't see steve trying to change something that is already planned.

I think some people get a little touchy when their meets are challenged with something different or new on the same date.

Personally I like choices and the more the better, I can understand not wanting to go because you have other people coming to the Tacoma greet, but freaking out over it and throwing a fit is not my style.