Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

2011 tC!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default 2011 tC!

I have owned my 2011 Scion tC 6 speed MT for 11 months now bought it brand new and it has less than 14,000miles like 13,300ish.. and I recently noticed my front drivers side seat has started to fray! I will try to be as detailed as i can... Its fraying on the lighter gray fabric on the bottom seat cushion where you sit...not the seat bolster (i would have thought it would happen there if it where to ever happen?) guess i am wrong.. the frayed is close to the size of the palm of your hand and it is a little more than half way point of the cushion towards the front of the cushion but not the front... its a really odd place!(think of the space between your hip and knee when sitting its about 1-2in. past half way point towards knee) then like 1'-1.5' from the bolster towards the inside.. I do not own jeans with buttons on the back pockets or drive with my wallet in my pocket... but that does not matter because the fray is NOT even in the area where that would be! I have called my dealer where i purchased the car and they were willing to look at and hopefully help fix the problem she said "that sounds odd, not "normal wear"... but I am currently 8+ hours away due to school so I have a appointment tomorrow with a local Toyota/Scion dealership where i am... they will look at it and decide based on their managers discretion...(did not sound like they really wanted to help) the dealer where i bought the car said if they wont help they will be making some phone calls on my behalf... Hopefully all works out! IMO this is WAY to fast for this to happen my bro has a 08' tC close to 40k miles and his stock seats are FINE! my old 08' xB was 2 years old & stock seats where fine! anyone with a 2nd gen tC having this issue? or anyone have a issue with seats fraying any scion model less than 1 year old? What did your dealer do?
Ill keep posted on what the dealer says tomorrow my appt. is in the afternoon.. (MAYBE...... I can get pics posted... so you can see whats up)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

They should cover it...pic of the damaged area?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member

I hope they do... we will see.. i'll know by tomorrow.. i'll try and get a picture tomorrow when its lighter outside.. either way I will prob try and get clazzio covers asap
Old 10-21-2011, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you wear pants with velcro pockets like on some cargo pants/shorts? Velcro can cause the seat fabric to fray.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

^ @2_tC i did not think of that very valid point, thank you!

The 1st pic look above the middle seam line through the center of the seat.. 2nd is trying to get a closer pic (sorry about quality iPhone pics..) it looks worse in person.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 tC!-photo-9.jpg   2011 tC!-photo-8.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doubt they will cover that, it's a standard "wear and tear item". They wouldn't even cover my seizing gas door because "I could have leaned on it", it's been a pain to open sense i bought it and it wore some paint off.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah nocturnal is right. the company that stitched those seats probably used some old material or something and the stitching popped abnormally early. due to the fact that this is the drivers side seat and you get in and out of it a lot, they can justify it tearing due to something you did (although I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with it). if that had been in the back seat or somewhere else that didn't get that much traffic, then you might get compensated but I'm pretty sure they won't cover this. kinda sucks but they might change their mind
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

The dealer took pics and is going to email california reps to see what they want to do.. and go from there so "hopefully" might know something within 24hrs but service manager did agree it was odd spot...
Old 10-22-2011, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well good luck man. i got my fingers crossed for yuh
Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

It took awhile to hear back... but i got the phone call the other day and they are going to fix the seat... the service advisor called and said he ordered a new seat cover thing! talked to the reps in cali and they said go ahead and fix it!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent work gives us all something to be proud of a Company that stands behind their car.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TMJsSCIONxB2
It took awhile to hear back... but i got the phone call the other day and they are going to fix the seat... the service advisor called and said he ordered a new seat cover thing! talked to the reps in cali and they said go ahead and fix it!
NICE