ID, OR, WA

BAZOOKA subwoofer help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BAZOOKA subwoofer help!!

Looking for some help with my bazooka tube.
Cant seem to get it to power up, even after doing the install troubleshooting,It still wont give me the green light. Bazooka's web site says they have a fuse but I don't see anywhere to check the amplifier fuse??? I have 12 volt signal at the connection to the tube and a signal from all the speaker pins but still no green light. Does some one local have one installed I could hook up to my harness to check it?
Before I have to send it for warranty work, I would like to see if I can get it going.
Any help/info would be much appreciated
Steve

TRD Spark's PDF install instructions http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-52500inst.pdf
Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking through that install pdf, says there's a phase switch that should be in "up" position. Page 10 step 16. Did you check that?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response Tu,
Yeah checked it all twice still no green light or sound.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Steve.... hmm. since the install directions dont list it... and i have yet to try looking up bazooka tube's site..

Fig 16-1 it circles the power LED.. to the right of that is the Gain ****... and to the right still... there appears to be another **** (upper right corner of the plug)... could that be the fuse holder? should be labeld but guess not.

it looks like it could be and hold one of those glass tube fuses
Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Kekai,
That's the output plug for a remote control gain switch.
http://www.bazooka.com/products/mobi...EL-Series-P211

http://www.bazooka.com/
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh... back to the drawing board.... but thats my guess on the type of fuse.. some sort of small glass tube fuse, not a blade style fuse
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Steve
This may sound strange but I had the same thing with my subs come to find out the sub was turned off on the head unit.
I don't know if your head unit is the same but check to see if it can be turned on and off on the head unit. Other then that I can't think of anything.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Carl,
Thanks, but its the stock head unit.
Should have had the green led power indicator light up on the Bazooka when I hooked it up. I have a strong 12volts at the power pin on the connector and a signal at all the speaker pins it just wont power up the tube when I hook up the connector.
I was hoping someone in PNW wit a xB/xA would have one so i could check my unit on there connector and there unit on my harness to pin down where it's failing.
Didn't really ever think I would need a sub woofer, but I won an e-Bay auction for a new Toyota option one for $130.00 shipped that was being liquidated the seller had 5.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok just a thought. Mine is the upgrade pioneer because base unit didn't have the RCA's still a Scion head unit. The only other thing is make sure all connects are on snug including RCA's. Although if led is not on then it would seem to be power related don't know. There should be a fuse on the sub amp some where but couldn't find it on the website. If I come up with anything I'll PM you.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

woops no RCA's with that unit huh? lol
Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I wonder if it would hook up to the plug for the 08 stock sub.......mine is not hooked up anymore to anything but there must be someone how has theirs working still and could pull the plug and hook your sub up........it is the stock bazooka sub for the tC right......pre 08.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xB Brian, diff, sub but could be the same plug.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brian take a look at the install pdf in first post and tell me if the sub woofer connector on page 15 is the same as the one in your tC 12 pins but not all are in use if plug is same im game to see

edit;;;; I just checked TRD Sparks and they are identical
http://www.trdsparks.com/install/00016-21250inst.pdf
Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

looks similar,but it is differant,on the car harness to the back it ends in a round shape 7 pin connector with 2 then 3 then 2 in the connection end......then to a short harness attached to the stock sub that goes to the amp attached to the sub that is 14 pin but only uses 7 pins......my guess is it is wired differant......and would hate to blow someones trying........sucks.

Check your deck again........I know my stock deck has a sub off function hidden in the secret controls.......Doc I has the button codes to do to make them come up........I know I can make the radio say hello Brian and such to me when turned on.....all kinds of weird stuff.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah I think pioneer has sub off in controls but led should still be lit up I would think. That was the problem with mine not working but led was on just no sound had to turn on the sub on the head unit.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Pscifun
SL Member

When i had my tube the power supply went out , so i searched the web frantiacally and found this page: http://bazooka.com/forums/index.php

Which in turn got me to call the 1-800-THE-TUBE and talk to their customer support. Long story short I was out of waranty, but got the replacement part for around $60or so. That also included the toyota wire hareness that went off the deck to the tube. Keep in mind that was about 2 years ago and on the non scion bazooka sub. I would call them though.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks I spotted that forum just haven't taken the time to join and post.
chapascion,
Even though I bought this from someone liquidating Toyota stock via e-Bay, since its technically a Toyota part #PTS20-52040 would it be under its own warranty through Toyota. It was new, sealed in its orig box
Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is the easiest thing you can do to verify that the sub works, I have the tC version of that sub installed in my 08 tC with some custom work I did. I assume you have the wire diagram (Page 15 I think)? Find the +12v (Red) and the Neg (Black), and the +12v remote wire (Blue with White Stripe) Using a good 12v source connect the power wires up, then tap the remote wire to the +12v... If the green LED turns on at this point there is nothing wrong with the sub... If that works you may have a remote wire problem somewhere... If you don't see the LED light up it's defective...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another thing you can do if you have a Multimeter is Check all the pins in the harness:

Pin 1 - GND
Pin 8 - +12v
Pin 9 - Remote (+12v)

Check pins 8 & 9 with respect to ground, you should see +12v on both with the radio on...

On the harness that you installed (the side that goes behind the radio), are there two remote options?
1) Always on (with the car's ign. in the acc/on position)
2) Only when the radio is on
If so, which option do you have it set for?

Also, stock head units don't really have a "real" remote wire, our cars have a Gain Antenna booster located in the passenger side rear quarter panel above the rear speaker (FOR A SCION tC), the "remote" wire is actually just the "Power Antenna wire", or in our case power for the Signal Gain booster, spliced off... This output should always be on regardless if the mode on the radio is set to CD or FM radio, but just in case - did you try it with just the FM radio on?... Although this really should NOT be the problem...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you just answered my problem....
NOWHERE in the install instructions does it say to hook up the remote options wires. and since it did not mention them I did not hook them up. The end on my HU harness was not hooked up to anything. should it be I have the 06 stock HU.
Also I did not get a reading on the ground pin or the remote option pin Now I think I know why.... please confirm this

I had no sound from the tube weather it was radio or cd

Quick Reply: BAZOOKA subwoofer help!!