ID, OR, WA

Big Brother?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Big Brother?

I got a "photo ticket" in the mail.... it looked like junk mail at first... I opened it up and found a nice color picture of my truck, even a second close up of my license plate.... $132... it read, go to this website and pay by a certain date and nothing will go on your record.... isn't this kinda wierd? Scary?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

We have had that out here in colorado for years.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Go to a website and pay bya certain date, lol? Can you call the city of Puyallup, or wherever it was the ticket was issued, and verify all this? I'd hate to end up paying a punk who sat outside, taking pictures of cars to fine and make them pay on the website he created, lol.

I'm glad we don't have those up here yet. When I go to Lynnwood, I get super paranoid and probably drive worse because of it.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Red light cameras are a pain...they're all over Seattle. I probably set one off the first month I had my car, but luckily for me I still had the temp tag and no plate.

If you drive around Issaquah, Sammamish, Redmond, or Bellevue, you'll notice that every major intersection will have at least one type of camera - the highly travelled ones will have multiple different sets of cameras. I doubt any of them are red light cameras, but I still felt really weird about driving around after they put those on.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

screw em..

Take a picture of a $132.00 and send it back to them..
Old 11-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by singleshot
screw em..

Take a picture of a $132.00 and send it back to them..
LOL, depending on the mood of whoever gets that, he might get charged with counterfeiting money
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jeezes... thomas, you make me laugh at the best moments
Old 11-10-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And here I thought this was going to be a post about being a big brother for an at risk child.

I'd probably be a little wary and call the city in which the ticket was issued.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

is the website a .gov ? I would check w/ local authorities, I've never heard of paying a ticket and not having it go on your record, sure would have saved me a lot of time trying to contest 'em...
Old 11-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here in Washington state that actually is the way the photo tickets work - they are a fine only, not mark on the record because there is no (legal) proof that you were driving. They are essentially a ticket against the vehicle rather than the driver, and are mailed to the owner.

I would definitely do some verification before sending ANY money to ANYONE.

RCW 46.63.170
(2) Infractions detected through the use of automated traffic safety cameras are not part of the registered owner's driving record under RCW 46.52.101 and 46.52.120.
(See http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.63.170 for details...)

Very notably, there is no mention of responding to the infraction via e-mail or a web site... From the law:

RCW 46.63.170 (1)(d) ... A person receiving a notice of infraction based on evidence detected by an automated traffic safety camera may respond to the notice by mail.
Tomas
Old 11-10-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice bill Thomas.... it was the City of Lakewood and I did call.... I have no problem paying a fine if I'm doing something wrong... I would prefer another human have to go through the trouble of "catching" me... this automated stuff has me looking in the trees and the spigot of the slurpee machine for cameras... I just get creeped out
Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just speak into the pen, Steve, just speak into the pen.

Tomas
Old 11-10-2006, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What happens if you dont pay? There is no proof that you were driving? Like tomas said its more of a fine to the car, so then if your the owner of the car you have to pay which I think is bs even if you werent driving!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem, Ira, got ya covered.

RCW 46.63.110 - Monetary penalties.

(1)(b) If a person has not entered into a payment plan with the court and has not paid the monetary obligation in full on or before the time established for payment, the court shall notify the department of the delinquency. The department shall suspend the person's driver's license or driving privilege until all monetary obligations have been paid, including those imposed under subsections (3) and (4) of this section, or until the person has entered into a payment plan under this section.
(See http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.63.110 for details...)

Also, state law "presumes" the registered owner was the driver unless the registered owner swears, under oath, that someone else was in control...
RCW 46.63.075 - Toll evasion — Presumption.

(1) In a traffic infraction ... the use of a photo enforcement system ... constitutes in evidence a prima facie presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle was the person in control of the vehicle ...

(2) This presumption may be overcome only if the registered owner states, under oath, in a written statement to the court or in testimony before the court that the vehicle involved was, at the time, stolen or in the care, custody, or control of some person other than the registered owner.
(See: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.63.075)

Enjoy!

Tomas
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know of anyone around here that has gotten a ticket, does anyone know if they do it here in TX bc if so, then I am screwed. That is laaaame though. Fo' REAL. I thought the red light cams were for traffic monitoring ... at least that's what I was told ...
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas

look its silent bob!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nwscionman
nice bill Thomas.... it was the City of Lakewood and I did call.... I have no problem paying a fine if I'm doing something wrong... I would prefer another human have to go through the trouble of "catching" me... this automated stuff has me looking in the trees and the spigot of the slurpee machine for cameras... I just get creeped out
you are lucky..they used to have camera's on every street, before they ran out of money to fund them....now they only have them at the red lights & i believe some school zones....i did get one before & it sucks....definately makes you watch your mail!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Re: Big Brother?

Originally Posted by nwscionman
I got a "photo ticket" in the mail.... it looked like junk mail at first... I opened it up and found a nice color picture of my truck, even a second close up of my license plate.... $132... it read, go to this website and pay by a certain date and nothing will go on your record.... isn't this kinda wierd? Scary?
did i miss what the ticket was for? why you got it?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm actually a proponent of cameras at intersections and school zones. Up in my neighborhood we've been trying to lobby the city to have them because too many people, who are primarily just driving through our development, that speed and run lights/stop signs...even next to the elementary when school is getting in/out. There have been so many near accidents with kids and cars and soon I'm sure we'll here of a car/ped collision.

I follow the law and I think that people who run lights/stop signs/speed should be penalized in my neighborhood.

Quick Reply: Big Brother?