honda
Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToyotaScionTRD
Price or Quality?

price isn't bad and to customize it, it isn't bad either.
quality is 7 between 1-10. 10 being best
Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Was:

catch-up & fun

Now:

amidoinitrite?

Its Toyota's way of getting into the 18-35 year old market as cheaply as possible, offering customizable cars that are strongly based off of vehicles that are already produced in other markets in order to keep costs down. Its taken several years but manufacturers finally get that people actually modify cars and will embrace a brand if they can give them something to work with. Since the Celica was being discontinued due to poor sales, and MR2 & Supra were long gone, there Toyota was running out of options had had to do something or fall out of the game totally. Scion is what they did and they did an awesome job to begin with, now it just feels like they are just trying to throw as many options & features as they can in a bag, and instead of creating styling with tasteful uniqueness, creating bulky looking expensive & unattractive cars. I think if they seriously re-looked at what they started based on and what the goals were vs. now I think they would be saying,"wow what happened?"

Just so there is no confusion, I love Scion and both of our cars but based on current offered models and those slated to come out this next year, there are no cars that Scion offers to make me stay loyal to the brand.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

douchebag
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM
SL Member

progress
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Was:

catch-up & fun

Now:

amidoinitrite?

Its Toyota's way of getting into the 18-35 year old market as cheaply as possible, offering customizable cars that are strongly based off of vehicles that are already produced in other markets in order to keep costs down. Its taken several years but manufacturers finally get that people actually modify cars and will embrace a brand if they can give them something to work with. Since the Celica was being discontinued due to poor sales, and MR2 & Supra were long gone, there Toyota was running out of options had had to do something or fall out of the game totally. Scion is what they did and they did an awesome job to begin with, now it just feels like they are just trying to throw as many options & features as they can in a bag, and instead of creating styling with tasteful uniqueness, creating bulky looking expensive & unattractive cars. I think if they seriously re-looked at what they started based on and what the goals were vs. now I think they would be saying,"wow what happened?"

Just so there is no confusion, I love Scion and both of our cars but based on current offered models and those slated to come out this next year, there are no cars that Scion offers to make me stay loyal to the brand.
Do you think that over time these cars will catch on, just like the first generation. I know when a new body style hits the market it can have some adverse effects, because as humans we are programmed to be cautious about change.

Best example being the acura TL. The 05-08 models had a fantastic design. However, when the drastically changed the vehicle it turned me off from ever wanting to buy another.

Like a young child, Scion is finding its way. Don't plan on it going away anytime soon.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:29 PM
SL Member

Exciting......Encouraging
Old 08-30-2010, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Erik hit the nail on the head. The gen 1 xB's were a hit from day one, they didn't need time to catch on. The gen 2's are cool, but in a different way, but they have not inspired people to customize them the way the gen 1's did (and still do). I love my xb and it's all i ever see myself ever driving. I'd like a couple more gen 1's in fact. As far as ever buying a new Scion for the "family" car, I haven't been too impressed with the new models.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disconnected.

Explanation:

Originally Scion was well connected with the community they labored so hard to create, but more recently they have lost touch with that community, and appear to be no longer listening.

Example:

As an xB Classic owner it definitely feels as though Scion and Toyota has abandoned the Urban Utility Vehicle (UUV) niche it singlehandedly created in the US in favor of the common "longer, lower, wider, heavier, more power" formula in the US. The xB2 is no longer a City Car, it is a freeway cruiser.

We got the Rumion, the rest of the world got the next bB.

Result:

Kia with the Soul and their Hamstars are starting to own that niche, along with Nissan and it's Cube.

Last edited by Tomas; 08-30-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2003 to 2006.5= Genius
2007 to 2010= Stagnet
2011 to TBD= Disinterested

I have 1 word for each of what I perceive as the evolution of Scion
Scion came out the gates like a champ when they launched the xB1 & xA in '03 and then nailed the market when they launched the tC. the first few years were awesome and amazing. Seriously, how often has a new brand caught on like Scion when it first came out?

After the discontinuation of the xA and giving in to the ninnies who didn't like the xB (no space, too small, blah blah), the new xB was too much of a change (for me) and really started to show signs of Scion losing it's edge. The changes made to the bB in Japan is the direction that they should have kept going.
The xD is nice (especially Rob's), but as I'm sure sales show, it just wasn't time for it to come out.

Now in this new phase, the '11 xB is updated with what appears to be the same stylings that were for the RS models. That seems to take away the special feelings behind owning an RS. The new tC isn't really much of a game changer. My overall opinion is that it's blending in. If the overall approach was "wow look at all the honda tuners", then mission accomplished. It is my opinion that Scion has lost's it's steam and the shark may have been jumped back in '08.

Counter....I kinda like the iQ, but it's not practical right now. Plus doing a public showing and having a spokes-person who doesn't really know much about the car present, doesn't help.

Now, I'm gonna go hug my xB1 and get him a new toy.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:52 AM
SL Member

Adolescent------
I see Scion as a young kid growing up.
We all encounter adverse change in our lives, and that is how we figure out what works well, and what doesn't. It sounds like we need to have a stronger voice within Scion so that they can really get back to the roots.
Scion in in the pubescent stages of growth. I feel like if we give it time, don't write it off, and not think of it as being a Saturn II, we will benefit.
Remember Scion is about you. Those who speak loudest will be heard. So get your microphones out, get your emails ready, and let Scion know what you think. I promise they will value your opinions, because this brand is about "us".
Longlive Generation Y
Old 08-31-2010, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ToyotaScionTRD
Do you think that over time these cars will catch on, just like the first generation. I know when a new body style hits the market it can have some adverse effects, because as humans we are programmed to be cautious about change.

Best example being the acura TL. The 05-08 models had a fantastic design. However, when the drastically changed the vehicle it turned me off from ever wanting to buy another.

Like a young child, Scion is finding its way. Don't plan on it going away anytime soon.
I do not think that the cars will catch up even close to the same way the first models did for 2 simple reasons that I will explain: 1) they are not the same, 2) There is no corporate backing.

1)Not the same; of course they are not the, that is obvious but all the models are now too different from their predecessors. None even look similar except the front of the 2011 tC.

1st gens vs. 2nd Gens (including xA -> xD)

1st gens: compact, underpowered (except tC ), UBER UNIQUE body styles, fun, JDM components (except tC), tons of dealer parts, tons of companies given the cars to show the possibilities and create parts for the cars, young, innovative, all were/are still head turners

2nd gens: poor execution,putting items in that people said they wanted in the first gen models and not listening to why they had actually bought/why they had bought the 1st gens to begin with, chunky, too expensive, no excitement, no interest/excitement from dealers/region/corporate after release, poor aftermarket support, bad timing possibly from economy, detached, old, blah.

2) No corporate backing; Not sure if it was all the economy but there is nothing going on here in the region at all anymore. Don't get me wrong I am very thankful that we still get Formula Drift access, but to see how much we have lost is dis-heartening. I see other regions get a track day where Ken Gushi took people for a ride in the drift tC! They also were able to run the drag strip! Not saying that's for everyone but dang! In the beginning Scion threw cars out to several large companies and had parts developed!!!!! Not only for the aftermarket but for private branding as TRD. If you want to know what I mean by support look at the after market products for a 1st gen vs. a 2nd! BIG DIFFERENCE in variety and selection! Not saying everyone modifies their cars but for a vehicle line that was geared towards that they have surely done no less than fall flat on their face since changing to the new models. For a vehicle the replaced the previous model there is/was hardly any carryovers that went from a 1st to a 2nd that I have seen. Not sure if there has just been a HUGE direction change in the company or if they think things are going fine and have no windows in their office to see what is going on outside or what.

However there might be a glimmer of hope amidst all of this. The iQ has a JDM and E-spec counterpart. That means it will attract possibly those crowds to the company and help breath some life/bring interest back to the brand. I would love to talk about the possiblity of the FT-86 or whatever its supposed to be but until I see a solid prototype (not the one @ the TAS) or possible production pic I am not holding my breath for something that if it comes will most likely be arriving to the party as the janitor is cleaning up.

Basically...COME ON SCION!!!!! WHERE DID YOU GO!!!! COME BACK AND BRING A CASE OF BEER TO GET THE PARTY STARTED AGAIN!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^sorry that was so long...I feel strongly about this...
Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 AM
SL Member

Ok I pose you two questions.

Question 1:If you were to redo the design of the 1st generation xB, what would you do? Also, I mean this as if the option of staying exactly the same was not allowed.

Question 2: I do believe there is backing, I just believe its not being utilized? If you had the ability to put on the best event you could, what would you do? i.e. whats your idea of a perfect product launch.

By the way.... no worries on the apology.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ scion corporate backing WAS ALOT MORE back in the day then now, just look at the Miami Event Winners, chances are you werent around for that. or just any of the scion corporate events and how it use to be.

the first gen xb/xa made this brand what it is now, the tc came out and those 3 cars took the company to its peak, then the designs started to flake, then the Release Series cars started to fail, then the xb2, then the xd, then the hideous tc2. the company isnt what it use to be and chances are will NEVER be what it use to be especially if they keep designing the horrible cars there designing.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

It's definitely gotten down the sh**ter. None of its new models are attractive and the generation of buyers that was into the first gen xB and xA have moved on to something better. Now it's just parents that are looking for a cheap/reliable car to start off their children in.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 AM
SL Member

Default How can I help?

How can I be more pro-active in this process????
serious question---looking for serious answers
Old 08-31-2010, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Who are you and what are you trying to accomplish?

Quick Reply: Describe Scion in one word