Describe Scion in one word

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ToyotaScionTRD
Ok I pose you two questions.

Question 1:If you were to redo the design of the 1st generation xB, what would you do? Also, I mean this as if the option of staying exactly the same was not allowed.

Question 2: I do believe there is backing, I just believe its not being utilized? If you had the ability to put on the best event you could, what would you do? i.e. whats your idea of a perfect product launch.

By the way.... no worries on the apology.
Q1) Same size no matter what...gotta keep an icon an icon. Update/add features like cruise control (like hey did in the new one), navi (like they did), leather option, sunroof option, upgrade/ have an option to 1.5L like the bB's have, option like the open deck(would give my left nut for one), optional awd like the bB. All in all I would have brought the updated bB over and made the Rumion a Toyota model if anything as it is just too far away from the 1st gen for my taste. Bringing over a model that is already in production, even if it is in another market has got to be cheaper than creating a new model or re-designing a new front end I would think...thats not dig, I really don't know but they would have to convert it to LHD from RHD.

Q2) Perfect launch...I am assuming for the tC? Well I would consider the clientele of previous model and potential of the new model. Something involving the lifestyle of both men & women 18-35. I would incorporate "the nightlife," Scion Racing/autosports, technology (Gen Y) & the features of the car, Scion community, and most importantly FUN!!! Make it feel exclusive like everyone there is VIP.

With that being said...I/we all would love to see more involvement from dealers/ the region/ corporate. The reason we are all on this site is because of these cars, no other car company throws events like Scion does or has, but ultimately they can't sustain a company by just throwing parties and spending money they need customers. Point is being cool = good for us, re-designed cars that aren't selling as good = bad for you guys
Old 08-31-2010, 03:50 AM
SL Member

I feel like the route of the problem is that sales people don't dive themselves into the culture like they should. I know saleman comes with a negative connotation, but, really it is our responsibility to co-ordinate with our customers and our company. If we did a better job of that, there would be less misunderstanding from us to you. I am Todd, I am an advocate, and I am fully devoted to helping the culture of scion.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I feel like the route of the problem is that sales people don't dive themselves into the culture like they should. I know saleman comes with a negative connotation, but, really it is our responsibility to co-ordinate with our customers and our company. If we did a better job of that, there would be less misunderstanding from us to you.
^lot of truth there, but I think if more sales people felt supported/listen to by the region they would do better as well. Just out of curiousity how many Scion champions/rockstars are there now in the region? Also curious how many are both full time and Scion only.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:06 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
Who are you and what are you trying to accomplish?
My name is Todd, just graduated college with an art degree, couldn't find a job so I started selling used cars, I was then hired by a toyota dealership. I couldn't find my place in the store. I felt too young, and like I didn't have something to concentrate on. I started going to seminars about 8 months ago, where they trained us about Scion. And then. pow! I saw all of the art, listened to all the music, and felt like this was what I wanted to be part of. I wanted to concentrate on being a person who could help. Thus, I am on this site.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:14 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
^lot of truth there, but I think if more sales people felt supported/listen to by the region they would do better as well. Just out of curiousity how many Scion champions/rockstars are there now in the region? Also curious how many are both full time and Scion only.
At the moment I cannot speak to that. I want to get to my office tomorrow so I can commit that to memory. So tomorrow, I will post that info.
I understand your point though. I believe there is more money there, I just think it needs to be utilized.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hmm.. in this region... we did have a few really really involved dealerships... Victor @ lake city and Steve @ Puyallup.. toss in a Chris @ Auburn, Kelly @ Burien, Kelly B. @Gladstone, Josh @ Bellevue... and Mike @ Rodland..

The first 2 Victor and Steve... Lived and Breathed SCION for the first 2-3 years... I was @ the first Scion Exposed at the Seattle center in Oct 2004, about 24 of us showed up.... we got to go into the EMP, they had go-karts for us to ride (not fun forest stuff actuall go-karts) DJ etc... granted that was when all 3 models first came out... we drove up thru down town seattle and people stopped and starred (sp?) at us. It was great... they caught peoples attention. I was circled on the Freeway once while driving ... 2 cars litterally came up one side, slowly.. got infront then to the other side... let me pass them slowly and then they followed me for a bit... and that was STOCK.

We did meet & greets, we had club night where they gave away an xB for a year, We as owners and helping of Victor, Steve and the others did scavenger hunts, car shows, toy runs. etc you name it we did... we had dealerships coming to us... and if any of the owners had an idea we knew we could go to these guys and they'd jump in with both feet and help us make whatever the event/idea we had FLY!

now... fast forward a few years... life happens, i get that things happen my own life has changed enough to where i cant do as much as i used to, we lost 2 of the biggest dealership/employee's supporters to job turnover and/or economy, some of us heavily involved owners had a few more repsonsibilities chage in their own lives to where we couldn't dive in like we used to... but when we can.. most of us try with 110% of enthusiasim.

and yeah as for car design, like Eric, Tomas and others said... the xB went SUV way... hell the Flex looks more like a 1st gen redone than the 2nd gen does... but thats still a bit too big to stick with the style of the 1st gen

tC kinda stale (tho the 6spd is nice this run)

xD is Decent... but also to close style wise to a matrix/vibe.

had Scion thrown the bB, with the options like Kanchi(Eric) said... or the OPEN DECK... I'd own a Open Deck as well as 1/2 the current/former owners... FT-86.... or the HAKU!!! that was/is hella cool, My wife would sell her xD, truck, (fight me to sell my xB) and whatever else she could to buy one or two Haku's

at the minimum... bring back Exposed where we rented out a parking lot, had good food, prizes, car show and got tickets to M's game... that brought in lots of people... way more tha Formula-D.. which is great but much smaller group of people interested in that vs the Baseball game

now i'm rambling.... but i aggree with the previous posts about the current models lacking that unique punch... they are tryin to get by on name recognition vs being unique.. and as for the local support... i said my piece
Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I appreciate you taking the time and listening to what, a very small percentage of Scion owners, have to say.

The thing with this forum is that it makes to about 1% of Scion's market and most of the requests that would be mentioned on here would fall on deaf ears.
The concept of this company has been great since day one.
Practical/functional/economical/unique.

Recently Scion steered clear of its uniqueness and tried focusing on more mainstream car buyer's requests. This took them off the map and have been wondering why ever since.

I've been a customer since early 05 by owning a tC and an xB2. Both cars have served me well and all, but these new models that they have sitting at dealerships aren't going to get a 20 year old say "holy ____ I need to get me one of these".

In conclusion, I don't have anything constructive to say and I'm sorry but it appears that they've taken the plunge towards a "melting pot" car market which will ultimately put them out of business.

Best of luck with your newly found passion but unfortunately you might have hopped on a sinking boat. The party was 4-5 years ago.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh and how can i forget Bobbi Simpson.. the Regional contact we had at Scion... she had our back on just about anything we wanted.. as long as it was legal
Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My name is Todd, just graduated college with an art degree, couldn't find a job so I started selling used cars, I was then hired by a toyota dealership. I couldn't find my place in the store. I felt too young, and like I didn't have something to concentrate on. I started going to seminars about 8 months ago, where they trained us about Scion. And then. pow! I saw all of the art, listened to all the music, and felt like this was what I wanted to be part of. I wanted to concentrate on being a person who could help. Thus, I am on this site.
What "Brand of Car" do you drive? 2nd Generation xB??
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Let me know if I/we can help! Love to see Scion involvement in the community!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:03 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by lefty29er
What "Brand of Car" do you drive? 2nd Generation xB??
I know I'll gain some heat for this, but I drive the 05 acura TL. It belonged to my grandfather. I really want to get the new 2011 tC. I have waited off on getting one. I am going to try and use the college grad rebate for my down payment and go for gen1 financing. Then I will own a cement colored 6sp manual Sion tC. Plus my initials are TC it would be awesome to rock a car with my initials.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Why would you catch heat for owning a better car?
Old 08-31-2010, 05:15 AM
SL Member

I don't know....
that was a quick type brain fart right there.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
SL Member

Word of the day: Challenging
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
Why would you catch heat for owning a better car?
New answer.....I feel like to be totally involved I should be driving a scion.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Partially true. At least you're within the Toyota family.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plus my initials are TC it would be awesome to rock a car with my initials.
Sounds like you should have a tC emblem on a neckchain as part of your personal bling, TC.

(Couldn't resist.)

I know when I met you at the dealership, Todd, you were certainly eager and focused on Scion. I wish you well.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Sounds like you should have a tC emblem on a neckchain as part of your personal bling, TC.

(Couldn't resist.)

I know when I met you at the dealership, Todd, you were certainly eager and focused on Scion. I wish you well.
Not a bad Idea. Maybe I should stop by the B&I to get one of those..Thank you Tom.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel like the route of the problem is that sales people don't dive themselves into the culture like they should. I know saleman comes with a negative connotation, but, really it is our responsibility to co-ordinate with our customers and our company. If we did a better job of that, there would be less misunderstanding from us to you. I am Todd, I am an advocate, and I am fully devoted to helping the culture of scion.
sales people here are the big problem in my area; the only ones that sell them are older, older people. and the younger dealers dont want anything to do with them being pure pricing. sad part is i could go in the dealership and probably sell them quicker (probably the reason almost every scion owner in my area are all OLD )

Quick Reply: Describe Scion in one word