Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Describe Scion in one word

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by GQQSE13
sales people here are the big problem in my area; the only ones that sell them are older, older people. and the younger dealers dont want anything to do with them being pure pricing. sad part is i could go in the dealership and probably sell them quicker (probably the reason almost every scion owner in my area are all OLD )
I agree, there needs to be a push by dealers to incorporate the younger generation in Scion sales to bring in younger Scion customers. I plan on going to my college in the spring to spread the word about the great financing, and college grad opportunities. With a stronger base, there will be a stronger customer interest, with a stronger customer interest there will be more opportunities for growth. With that growth Scion could then offer a variety of cars that fit for many different peoples needs.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^good idea! Do you have any questions of us to help Scion potentially do better or aim sales, etc?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
^good idea! Do you have any questions of us to help Scion potentially do better or aim sales, etc?
Do you think we can involve scion more involved in the new trend of 'schools of the arts'. These are places for artists to thrive and drive the culture of Scion.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^Yes to put it simply. Kinda wondering about the 2nd part though. I have never understood why Scion has been so involved in art & music. Seeing that there is a large demographic that is 40+ that purchases Scions kinda wondering how some of that plays in. Personally for me too the artsy side played no part (and would only deter me at this point) from purchasing a new Scion. I saw a reliable Camry motor in an attractive lined car, full of basic options like cruise control, CD player, sunroof, tons a dealer parts and most of all......RECLINING REAR SEATS!!!! The community I have always been exposed to has had very little to do with art outside of their cars. Photography has been big, and graphic arts both on and off the cars is a contender as well but other than that can you help me understand Scion's big push there? Is it just to look cool or are they trying to specifically target just that market segment?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
SL Member

^Yes to put it simply. Kinda wondering about the 2nd part though. I have never understood why Scion has been so involved in art & music. Seeing that there is a large demographic that is 40+ that purchases Scions kinda wondering how some of that plays in. Personally for me too the artsy side played no part (and would only deter me at this point) from purchasing a new Scion. I saw a reliable Camry motor in an attractive lined car, full of basic options like cruise control, CD player, sunroof, tons a dealer parts and most of all......RECLINING REAR SEATS!!!! The community I have always been exposed to has had very little to do with art outside of their cars. Photography has been big, and graphic arts both on and off the cars is a contender as well but other than that can you help me understand Scion's big push there? Is it just to look cool or are they trying to specifically target just that market segment?
So it is agreed that Scion should try and involve itself more in the schools and events that happen amongst them. I realize that there is a larger demographic of persons out their (beyond the art, the youth, the music, etc.)

To put the answer simply that is the targeted market segment.

Here is my reasoning.......

1. When we were briefed on the launch of the new TC, the point was driven home that Generation Y is extremely important to Scions growth and success.

2. It sounds like it is agreed that Scion should become more involved in education.
Would you agree that College Campuses, High School functions are a great place for Scion to get involved. I remember in school how cool I thought it was when Red Bull would come by and put on events. I am not saying to specifically focus on this demographic. However, they are the one's who will be sustaining the growth of Scion in the future. (I do believe however, that Scion should not stray too much from its roots. Obviously it had been doing something right)

On a separate note:
I guess there also is a fine line that we walk between features, functions, and value. Every person will view the vehicle in their own way. (Adapt it if you will). Scion also targets the invidual, who is very interested in personalizing their car and showing off their individuality (much like art and music).

Now to the Point of Older vs. Younger Demographic.

I think it is fair for Scion to target a younger generation. This is our opportunity to feel like we are listened to and belong.At this point it seems like Scion should sell and engine and a frame and just let the consumer decide what they want to do to it. Offer some shells and call it good. What do you think?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

It’s hard for me having been so involved with Scion over the last few years to pin it down to one word. Have I enjoyed my cars? Yes. Have I built some sick custom cars with my Scions? I think so! Are they relevant? I don’t think so to me anymore. Are they a victim of gen Y wanting newer faster bigger better? Yeah, I think so. Personally, I feel like Scion did a great job bringing three models that had something new, different and exciting, then they gave in to the public. We heard rumors of the most fantastic cars coming as a Scion and are treated to such blandness as the 3rd gen xB. The tC remains FWD, and the xD while arguably the funkiest of the bunch, fills no need or niche in the market. Also, if the aim as I understood in the beginning though was to get younger buyers into the Toyota pipeline, I feel like Scion and Toyota have failed in some aspects.

I have bought 3 Scions now and my parents have bought one as a result of my apostolic reviews. I think no one listened when they asked our (the owners) input for the second and third generation models. Where is a RWD coupe? Where was the same funky out of the box (no pun intended) styling with a bigger motor xB? Instead, we got watered down to be more mainstream version of the xB, an xD that doesn’t fill a niche anywhere and has little to no aftermarket support and a tC that doesn’t do what we wanted it to do. The lineup also has some gaping holes. Where is a 4 door sedan? Where is a true small SUV and is a pick up out of the question? These additions would broaden the range to include all new car buyers and all value car buyers and help open the Lexus and Toyota world to them after they are ready.

Are they good cars? Hell yeah! I wouldn’t still own my xA or my xB if they were not, but the next failure in the line comes with Toyota failing to offer AFFORDABLE cars that are a natural progression after you own your Scion. The Venza, FJ, Tacoma and Tundra and Avalon are AWESOME but not realistically affordable to the folks looking to step up from a Scion. The Corolla is a GREAT car but its $16,500 to get in a model with any youth relevancy and 18,900+ to get the XRS which is by most reviews and accounts, is lackluster and not a value for the package. What is the point of Scion anymore? You won’t step down to a Yaris or Corolla after owning a Scion, and the step up to a Camry or Rav4 seems boring or lackluster. The cars that are interesting from Toyota or Lexus are usually out of range for your target gen Y’er

Look at the ‘hot’ cars out there right now. Soul, Koupe, Genesis, WRX, Lancer, 1 series, Fiesta, heck even the Sportage is making a bit of noise. All of these cars vary in price and feature but they are edgy, new and exciting. Scion feels anymore like the same word but pronounced with a new accent.

Lastly, and I don’t mean to attack you personally, but look back over the first page of this topic. You flat go after someone albeit in an appropriate and professional way, for saying something negative. Rather than ask why they felt that way, process the information and come back with a rational response, you ask them to quietly and privately talk so no one else can see. We the consumer are not being listened to and when we are, we feel like it get swept under the rug! That’s another part of one of the other true to form problems right there. We don’t have sales force who are CHAMPIONS anymore and gone is the support for grassroots movements like enthusiast groups and clubs and unique individual owners who ARE the champions. Gone are the Kelly’s, Victors, Steve B’s. Gone is the support for the local clubs and their agenda of spreading the love and excitement of their enthusiasm. When was the last time Scion Evolution, Scikotiks or the Puget Sound Toyota Owners club were shown some love for being the CHAMPIONS of the Toyota family of brands? Did you as a dealer even know those groups existed in the PNW? Why does Scion insist on trying to promote its own forums and board instead of reaching out to the GAGILLION’s of people on ScionLife, the biggest concentration of Scion owners on the web?

It may be different now than it was then but that’s part of the fundamental problem. We changed Scion stayed mostly the same.

My one word: Toyota

Why? Toyota stands for beige. For Safe. For Reliable and for desired. It stands for something people believe in but no one gets too worked up about. But it doesn’t stand for evolution, for edge, for fun for bucking the trends and for setting new ones. It’s grey out of black and white. 5 out of 10, medium.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

This is a thread meant to describe Scion in one word and all we keep reading is essays. lol
I just find it comical. Keep it coming.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heh. I have another word, then: BLOG

I wrote about the very same thing I - and others - are still writing about, over three years ago. In order to understand what I have said every month since then, one needs to go back to the beginning and read what I said as my first impression of the xB2...

http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=23

http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=24

http://www.tijil.org/blog/?p=27

(...and yes, every bit of that has been communicated to Scion, repeatedly, over the past 3 1/2 years.)

That leads me to yet another word... Materia

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101969
Old 09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ToyotaScionTRD
Scion also targets the invidual, who is very interested in personalizing their car and showing off their individuality (much like art and music).
^Exactly what I was looking for!

I think it is fair for Scion to target a younger generation. This is our opportunity to feel like we are listened to and belong. At this point it seems like Scion should sell and engine and a frame and just let the consumer decide what they want to do to it. Offer some shells and call it good. What do you think?
^Think thats why they offered the Spec tC's...say whatever happened to those? Actually takling to regional he had an idea about offering a release series where you got your choice of 5:AD wheels and in your choice of color, now that is uniqueness!!!

Originally Posted by ohcanada_00

Why? Toyota stands for beige. For Safe. For Reliable and for desired. It stands for something people believe in but no one gets too worked up about. But it doesn’t stand for evolution, for edge, for fun for bucking the trends and for setting new ones. It’s grey out of black and white. 5 out of 10, medium.
^unfortunately truth now

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
This is a thread meant to describe Scion in one word and all we keep reading is essays. lol
I just find it comical. Keep it coming.
My bad I kinda started it Please forgive
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

My bad I kinda started it Please forgive
There's nothing to apologize for, it just goes to show to you how complex are answers really are. Too many mixed feelings that certainly cannot be condensed into one single word.

Even though I'll be parting ways with my beloved xB2 and moving onto something different, I'll still have love and respect for these vehicles.

Nothing, that a couple of bureaucrats behind their office, can do that will spread this feeling. You either like a reliable car or you don't.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM
SL Member

It’s hard for me having been so involved with Scion over the last few years to pin it down to one word. Have I enjoyed my cars? Yes. Have I built some sick custom cars with my Scions? I think so! Are they relevant? I don’t think so to me anymore. Are they a victim of gen Y wanting newer faster bigger better? Yeah, I think so. Personally, I feel like Scion did a great job bringing three models that had something new, different and exciting, then they gave in to the public. We heard rumors of the most fantastic cars coming as a Scion and are treated to such blandness as the 3rd gen xB. The tC remains FWD, and the xD while arguably the funkiest of the bunch, fills no need or niche in the market. Also, if the aim as I understood in the beginning though was to get younger buyers into the Toyota pipeline, I feel like Scion and Toyota have failed in some aspects.

I have bought 3 Scions now and my parents have bought one as a result of my apostolic reviews. I think no one listened when they asked our (the owners) input for the second and third generation models. Where is a RWD coupe? Where was the same funky out of the box (no pun intended) styling with a bigger motor xB? Instead, we got watered down to be more mainstream version of the xB, an xD that doesn’t fill a niche anywhere and has little to no aftermarket support and a tC that doesn’t do what we wanted it to do. The lineup also has some gaping holes. Where is a 4 door sedan? Where is a true small SUV and is a pick up out of the question? These additions would broaden the range to include all new car buyers and all value car buyers and help open the Lexus and Toyota world to them after they are ready.

Are they good cars? Hell yeah! I wouldn’t still own my xA or my xB if they were not, but the next failure in the line comes with Toyota failing to offer AFFORDABLE cars that are a natural progression after you own your Scion. The Venza, FJ, Tacoma and Tundra and Avalon are AWESOME but not realistically affordable to the folks looking to step up from a Scion. The Corolla is a GREAT car but its $16,500 to get in a model with any youth relevancy and 18,900+ to get the XRS which is by most reviews and accounts, is lackluster and not a value for the package. What is the point of Scion anymore? You won’t step down to a Yaris or Corolla after owning a Scion, and the step up to a Camry or Rav4 seems boring or lackluster. The cars that are interesting from Toyota or Lexus are usually out of range for your target gen Y’er

Look at the ‘hot’ cars out there right now. Soul, Koupe, Genesis, WRX, Lancer, 1 series, Fiesta, heck even the Sportage is making a bit of noise. All of these cars vary in price and feature but they are edgy, new and exciting. Scion feels anymore like the same word but pronounced with a new accent.

Lastly, and I don’t mean to attack you personally, but look back over the first page of this topic. You flat go after someone albeit in an appropriate and professional way, for saying something negative. Rather than ask why they felt that way, process the information and come back with a rational response, you ask them to quietly and privately talk so no one else can see. We the consumer are not being listened to and when we are, we feel like it get swept under the rug! That’s another part of one of the other true to form problems right there. We don’t have sales force who are CHAMPIONS anymore and gone is the support for grassroots movements like enthusiast groups and clubs and unique individual owners who ARE the champions. Gone are the Kelly’s, Victors, Steve B’s. Gone is the support for the local clubs and their agenda of spreading the love and excitement of their enthusiasm. When was the last time Scion Evolution, Scikotiks or the Puget Sound Toyota Owners club were shown some love for being the CHAMPIONS of the Toyota family of brands? Did you as a dealer even know those groups existed in the PNW? Why does Scion insist on trying to promote its own forums and board instead of reaching out to the GAGILLION’s of people on ScionLife, the biggest concentration of Scion owners on the web?

It may be different now than it was then but that’s part of the fundamental problem. We changed Scion stayed mostly the same.

To begin, thank you.
I do want to respond to something. I want to appologize about what I posted earlier. I thought it would be fun if we had to limit ourselves to just one word.
I have thought so highly of these cars, personally, before I began visiting this site. I honestly thought everything was cool, people were happy, and Scion was successful in the eyes of the public. This was my own deception.
When the thread quickly went negative, or broke what I had intended originally I was disappointed. I did not mean to come off in that way.
I actually realized all of this after that post.

Response 1: Yes I whole-heartedly believe that Scion continues to improve its product and culture. Would you care to discuss this over private message so that I can keep this thread open to users who wish to post their one word responses. Thank you.
Todd Clancy

<<my bad....so I posted this quickly following the first>>

Response 2: Ok, so lets change this up and we will improve the thread title. Lets use the one word idea, and then please provide a reason for that word. Do you think that would be a better idea? I do want to see why people like/dislike this product. So offically lets change the name. One word to describe Scion, and why did you choose that specific word.

I genuinely meant the best I hope you understand.

I was initially very shocked with the criticism of Scion. I guess I was upset until I fully engaged and realized that there is a flaw and the only way to make it right is to find its route and fix it. I understand that people are upset and I want to get invovled and fix it with you.

Do you have any ideas for that small pickup????? That sounds like a blank cavas, with a ton of opportunities.
I want to start a thread for peoples drawings of scions. I doodle them all the time. Would anyone take part in that?

Thank you for keeping me on my toes

Last edited by ToyotaScionTRD; 09-02-2010 at 03:07 AM. Reason: forgot to add something.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Do you have any ideas for that small pickup????? That sounds like a blank cavas, with a ton of opportunities.
I want to start a thread for peoples drawings of scions. I doodle them all the time. Would anyone take part in that?

Or...

Old 09-02-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

^ HAHAHA NAILED IT!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I genuinely meant the best I hope you understand.

I was initially very shocked with the criticism of Scion. I guess I was upset until I fully engaged and realized that there is a flaw and the only way to make it right is to find its route and fix it. I understand that people are upset and I want to get invovled and fix it with you.

I apppreciate the thought process, I do, but I've been polled by Scion, I was a HUGE active part of the commmunity from 2004 until recently and I've heard feedback from here to Miami and everywhere in between (KC, Ames,SoCal and Springfield Scion Clubs where you at!) and the common wants and desires have never been answered. Poll 10, 100, 1000 tC owners and you'll hear since day one, wish it had a 6 speed, wish it was RWD etc...etc... WE keep saying the same things and people keep nodding thier head telling us its great feedback and then handing us another crappy foam antenae ball and going right back to beige-ing down Scion to appeal to a brader audience.

Scion, since day one has been ALL about the owners, the individuality and being that stepping stone to Toyota/Lexus. Now, the past couple updates and generations have been pandering to pocketbooks. Making it mainstream, it is a FACT that Scion appeals more and more with each new model to a more experienced demographic looking for value in a vehicle. It's not a bad thing, capitalism is great, but stop telling me how edgy the xB is and cramming individualism! FUNKY! and all the other non conformist adjectives down my gullet when at the end of the day, MY RETIRED PARENTS OWN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get somewhere with your efforts. I do. I am 100% willing to help in anyway possible as an owner and a long time Toyota enthusiast, but to be blunt, I got excited when the Coppen was suppposedly a new Scion, the FT-86 was going to be a Scion, the Open Deck was going to make an appearance in the states, the Terios was going to be a small SUV released under the Scion name...none of it ever happened and I'm not getting my tail feathers up this time either. Also, if I read your profile correctly, you work for the dealership on South Tacoma Way? If thats true, you have a long uphill battle to fight regarding that dealership's image in the community and its involvement in the local scene. I hope you are the positive force and change for good and I look forward to seeing what you are going to do.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 1GreeKtC
Partially true. At least you're within the Toyota family.
Are you referring to his job? It couldn't be the Honda he drives...

And my one word would be: versatile
Old 09-02-2010, 03:55 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Are you referring to his job? It couldn't be the Honda he drives...

And my one word would be: versatile
And I wrote......"I know I will gain some heat for this" ....my Acura was a gift from my grandfather.....has some personal value to me(very long story associated, so I will bare you the details)....I will be getting the new tC, once I've saved up another couple grand.

Please remember that I am new. I am starting from squre one here.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 PM
SL Member

I apppreciate the thought process, I do, but I've been polled by Scion, I was a HUGE active part of the commmunity from 2004 until recently and I've heard feedback from here to Miami and everywhere in between (KC, Ames,SoCal and Springfield Scion Clubs where you at!) and the common wants and desires have never been answered. Poll 10, 100, 1000 tC owners and you'll hear since day one, wish it had a 6 speed, wish it was RWD etc...etc... WE keep saying the same things and people keep nodding thier head telling us its great feedback and then handing us another crappy foam antenae ball and going right back to beige-ing down Scion to appeal to a brader audience.

Scion, since day one has been ALL about the owners, the individuality and being that stepping stone to Toyota/Lexus. Now, the past couple updates and generations have been pandering to pocketbooks. Making it mainstream, it is a FACT that Scion appeals more and more with each new model to a more experienced demographic looking for value in a vehicle. It's not a bad thing, capitalism is great, but stop telling me how edgy the xB is and cramming individualism! FUNKY! and all the other non conformist adjectives down my gullet when at the end of the day, MY RETIRED PARENTS OWN ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get somewhere with your efforts. I do. I am 100% willing to help in anyway possible as an owner and a long time Toyota enthusiast, but to be blunt, I got excited when the Coppen was suppposedly a new Scion, the FT-86 was going to be a Scion, the Open Deck was going to make an appearance in the states, the Terios was going to be a small SUV released under the Scion name...none of it ever happened and I'm not getting my tail feathers up this time either. Also, if I read your profile correctly, you work for the dealership on South Tacoma Way? If thats true, you have a long uphill battle to fight regarding that dealership's image in the community and its involvement in the local scene. I hope you are the positive force and change for good and I look forward to seeing what you are going to do.
I have only been part of this dealership for a short while. Since, I was not here in the beginning of all this, could you please catch me up to date on how the public views the dealership? Dealer specific, is it just that we are not well enough involved?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well old wounds run deep and dont heal well but to tell you the truth, i bought an xB there and discovered LOTS of flaws that were covered up and not disclosed but of course, nothing big enough to get on anyone's radar or matter once the car was out the door. Even despite this, the bigger scar in my mind at least was that your dealership held a car show open to all Toyota makes not too long after my purchase that I though was worth supporting, until I got kicked out for bringing a pair of super built trucks that were really muddy and a celica supra hybrid one off project that didnt look pretty in the pictures that they wanted to take. We were asked to leave be cause despite being expertly built and awesome examples of enthusiast prowress, they were not pretty to look at and there were other cars they wanted to put in the shop bay stalls.

Since then, I have had and have wanted nothing to do with the dealership. I thought I just had a bent nose until i noticed many folks in the clubs I have belonged to and lots of indepenent owners have the same views. That dealership is the wham bam thank you maam dealership who caters to military folks who wont be in the area long enough to build a long term relationship. There has never been support from the Larson group for the community and as mentioned above, when there was, it sucked. Even now, I still am laughing in disbelief at that whole situation especially when I remember it was a food drive show! About the only thing that ever pops up on the positive radar for your dealership is that if you need someone who speaks Korean to help a customer, thats the place to go.

As far as how the public view the dealership process in general, I think its all individual preference and the dealership talking the talk and then walking the walk. I had some of the same concerns and hesitations about Titus-Will until they started hosting shows, supporting PSTOC with space, time and prizes, and generally making themselves available to us as a resource in a way that made us feel valued and honored as enthusiasts and consumers. It's about having that CHAMPION as I mentioned earlier. I still go to Toyota of Puyallup just to shoot the breeze with Steve B. I am a personal friend of Steve's because he was so involved and so passionate about our success as consumers and as people.

It's not about handing out free t-shirts and feeding us Costco hot dogs, its about talking us out of buying a car because you know our situation, its about knowing us well enough to know our situation. It's about coming to car shows and supporting them, its about growing a brand, as well as a reputation.

Something Dave 'The Foth' Fotheringham (historical reference that some will get others wont and thats okay) told me once and I believe more than ever, is that there are Yugo enthusiast clubs. There are Daihatsu enthusiast clubs. It's not about the car, those cars suck, but they still have loyalists and champions of the brand. Its about people with a common interest getting together and sharing time with like minded people. It's the same with a dealership to me. It's not about buying a car. I can do that anywhere. It's about feeling valued and being a part of a larger picture. It's about being treated with respect and made to feel like my money was well spent. Those are the basics any car dealership should worry about first. Then if you want to support the enthusiast community, remember to go above and beyond for them. Do right by the people who are most loyal. Remind yourself one person telling people how great Scion, and Tacoma Toyota is will net you a few extra sales in the long run. 100 people doing that will build you a network of sales that can carry you. But all of it falls to pieces when one of those people isnt treated well or the support for the customers stops. Then all of a sudden those evangelists will turn and run to another safe place and begin evangelizing the new dealership.

Hopefully I planted some seeds for you. Again in public, I'll offer my support or advice if its wanted. I'll soon tire of writting these long winder soap box diatribes and I'm sure folks are already tired of reading them, but meeting for coffee or a RedHot is something i'm willing to do if you have more questions or want more advice. I'd also throw out that there are a LOT of other opinions out there and to build the most well rounded opinion, you should talk to them too. Find the old school PNW Scion OG's; Kekai, Tomas, Steve B at Toyota of Puyallup, find some of the folks who have recently bought cars who have a fresh unbiased opinion and most of all, find the clubs and enthusiasts and get them in your apostolic army of supporters. Don't try to sway them from thier current favorites, but add you and your dealership to the list!!! Then take all this to your manager and make the changes you want with an informed fact based opinion supported by research!

Last edited by ohcanada_00; 09-02-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 PM
SL Member

Thank you.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Refined.
This made me laugh.