just got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Default just got a ticket

i just left work went to the light and waited a state trooper pulled behind me waiting for the light also it turned green i started to go but had to wait for cars to pass so i can turn left finally i did and had to get into the other lane then all of a sudden he turned his lights on and pulled me over. gave him my dl, insurance and proof of title, then he told me why he pulled me over, because i have a modified exhaust, WTF you got to be kidding me, so he came back and gave me a $112.00 ticket, he knows he could have just given me a warrning but heck no. what make me mad is that he told me it was against the law to have it because is was not a factory part on the car. so that means that he should be pulling over street rods(hotrods) choppers and every make and model that has stuff done to there cars. oh yeah see another thing is that i have never gotten pulled over for it ever no cop or 50 has said anything like that to me. so now i have to either pay for it and say what ever and still roll with it or take it to court which i really dont have time for. modified exhaust what ever dude go pull some dumb a$$ speeding or really breaking the law.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh take him to court and prove his azz wrong..if it passed inspection whats the problem

and i got pulled over by a sargent and i was running a open s-pipe i got no ticket for that..but i got 6 others..
Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 AM

sorry to hear that. And it sounds like absolute crap to me. I would take the time and go and fight it just because it's worth it. That would mean that htey would have to ticket anyone that got thier exhaust done at Midas as well, because they do not have factory exhaust anymore either.

You would think they have better things to do with their time

Old 03-14-2007, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

what do you mean pass inspection?????
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

it is just an exhaust that i got online and i took out the silencer and plus it slants to the side ( drift exhaust)
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Importspeed
what do you mean pass inspection?????
Different state... no inspects yet in Oregon or Washington... we're green out here..lol..

Sorry to hear about that.. I'd fight it also. If you blow it off and pay the ticket, what happens next time?

again, I think it's wrong
Old 03-14-2007, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tell cops to go bust meth labs or something when i get pulled over.

"its not hard , you dont need a special task force or anything, just walk up and down the street with a dog!"
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default exhaust system?

what kind of modified exhaust did you get pulled over for?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

lol well he also said that my address on my drivers lincese is old it does not have my new addy i guess you have 10 days after yuo move to go get it fixed and oh yeah i have not yet got my new insurance card so i gave him an old one.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pulling you over for modified exhaust is stupid. the thing is cops see anyone in a japanese automoblie with a modified exhaust as a potential street racer, and a potential accident! law enforcement sees pulling us over a prevention policing (made that up). because think about it police react to crimes. crimes happen and they come out and take a report, when they pull us over and right us a ticket, they get back in their car and get off at the fact they just saved a soccer mom and her three kids from a traffic collsion at an intersection. god forbid kids learn something that isnt instituionalized education!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

go review your states laws, that way you know it better than them....I spent a good part of sunday surfing through web pages of laws on recon. cars for Hawaii and other legislative descions on MODS done to cars all becasue of the fact that I hear people say that you can't have any undercar lights etc. etc. etc.....so I went and searched and all I found is that you can't have blue lights so as not to be misstoke as law enforcement (hawaii section 291-31.5 of the HRS)......the cops don't even know that, they think any lighthing is illegal...so now I run mine, let them pull me over and give me a ticket I will fight it everytime, and after enough times I'll sue them for harassment...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be curious to see which laws he cited your for violating. The whole RCW is online, so it should be possible to look 'em up and see if he's actually got anything on you or if it's BS.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

sounds like he pulled him over for having an exhaust that was modified from its original design. He stated he took off the silencer, now it will prolly be over 95db(the law i think).

What i would do, is replace the silencer. Go to court and ask them how your exhuast is not allowed. What can they do? Test it for max db?

I believe that cop has it in for street racers and believes alot of people who drive JPN cars are just that. Stupid imo.

Plus, look at the freaking harleys on the road. Those things deafen me when they ride on by.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

my exhaust is aming towards the right side of the car ( drift exhaust) the funny thing is what i was going to do is replace it with an exhaust that goes straight and does not face the right side. the violation/statute code he wrote is 46.37.390 if some one on here can find out what the heck that means or show me a web site that would be cool but i think i am going to go to court and fight it.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

The cop is being a jack hole. Here is a link, I googled "washington state code 46.37.390 and came up with a state law regarding jake brakes and there use to prevent exesive noise. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.395 Here is a link for you. I am not a legal expert but you I don't think that they can charge you with that violation since tCs don't have jake barkes.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Dude if you don't go to court, I'm going for you. There's no way they're getting away with these kinds of tickets. in my town (lake stevens), just because my car looks modified I get crap. Since I've had my turbo on, I've counted literally six times that my car was PARKED and a cop (same one everytime) got out of his car, and looked over every inch of my car. When I walk out and get in the car, he sits by the entrance of the lot, just waiting for me to get out on the streets so he can pull me over since I don't have a front plate (lol). It's harassment. And this is coming from a person that respects police.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok was this a city cop or county? and where did it take place? then i can look for a rcw.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well this is what the violation code that he gave me say's

RCW 46.37.390
Mufflers required — Smoke and air contaminant standards — Definitions — Penalty, exception.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

if someone can read this and put in simpler words and tell me if it is illegal or not then that is cool thanks
Old 03-14-2007, 03:57 AM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can look up any RCW that you are ticketed for here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx

The post above has the wrong RCW in it.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390

RCW 46.37.390
Mufflers required — Smoke and air contaminant standards — Definitions — Penalty, exception.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.
Section 3. There's your issue.

----------------------------

**EDIT** haha. Posted at the same time.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

it was a state trooper

Quick Reply: just got a ticket