Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

just got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got pulled over the other day for having blue dots in my tail lights. The cop said that if my car was 40 years or older you can have them, but not on a newer car.... I am un aware of any stock vehicle that came with blue dots? Whatever! All in all I did not get a ticket, lucky for me but he also thretened a 100$ ticket..
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.37.390
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heck put the silencer back in and say hey this is suppose to be a leagal pipe!!! yea i got popped for blue dots in a 67 bug with the 39 ford tail lights back in like 1997. dang judge didnt even know what blue dots were. pay the clerk please sir. pfff i think the cop was jealous lol i dunno but yea piddly things they get us for sometimes.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

another thing is if he is getting me for noise violation the good luck i didnt over excellerate or anything, i know it sounds a little bit louder but i did nothing in that sort. i guess i will just go and try to get it reduced or something. i guess when i added that header it just made it louder but what can i do to tone down the noise i am not putting the silencer back in .
Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It's not that it's a noise violation persay. It's that you have an exhaust that did not come stock on the car...and it will "amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine". That is why you got the ticket.

I'm not saying it's right or fair...but that is why.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yeah i get that but why havent i gotten pulled over the other times when i am near other cops and passing them or any other time???? i see and hear other cars ripping down the freeway all the time and it is like why dont they get pulled over???? but like i said i will go and try to fight it if i dont then i will just pay it and maybe go and get another exhaust that doesnt look to modified... oh yeah i gotten pulled over in my lancer a few time and not one time did a cop or state pig give me any ticket for the exhaust it was more like speed or you had a light out or where is your front plates.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BCS
It's not that it's a noise violation persay. It's that you have an exhaust that did not come stock on the car...and it will "amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine". That is why you got the ticket.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection

the court has to go by the letter of the law, this is an after market muffler, not a modiification you did to the OEM equipment......go to court and state your case...but if you car sounds like a honda lawnmower then you deserve the ticket
Old 03-14-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Importspeed
yeah i get that but why havent i gotten pulled over the other times when i am near other cops and passing them or any other time????
cause cops are people....some, straight up power crazed _______s, and other just regular peeps doing a 9-5 and really don't want to do more paperwork than they have to
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

it does sound loud but from the point when i left the light and started going and changing lanes i didnt once romp on it or anything. but oh well i will just go and face the court maybe he or she will let me slide or reduse it, maybe i will give them a sap story and puppy dog eyes lol say i am sorry and that i didnt know that it is illegal to put an aftermarket exhaust on cars. and that i did not modifiy the stock exhaust lol
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The law doesn't apply just to modifying the OEM parts, but to any modification of the exhaust system which makes the noise level greater than stock. That means removing parts, substituting parts, modifying parts - anything that changes the system as a whole so it makes more noise.

He was probably not having a good day, and you were a really easy target, sitting right there in front of him.

Tom
Old 03-14-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My boss just got one also. cops are attracted to SHINEY thingssorry man
Old 03-14-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

probly plus i was having a bad day at work didnt get off till very late and i just wish i would have gotton off earlier or went another direction. plus i also forgot to say where my work is it is located to two state patrol places one is the main hq and the other is where all there cars/ bikes and so forth are at like a big parking lot. so i see them all the time and drive bye them like every day and not once have they did anything. like you said thomas he must have been in some mode and i was a very easy target.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

next too lol
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep ive been hit with this too. the law about it not being lourder than stock, or allow more noise is what they get you for. im on my 4th or 5th exhaust ticket lol. time for a high flow cat and a resonator to quiet it down
Old 03-14-2007, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

you removed the silencer, have a header. It will be rather louder than what stock is. You were a real easy target this time it seems. Put the silencer back on is my opinion.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it extremely loud? if not, get a sound test that compares a trd exhaust versus yours and bring it in. That might help things.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
BCS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Originally Posted by BCS

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection.

A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection

the court has to go by the letter of the law, this is an after market muffler, not a modiification you did to the OEM equipment......go to court and state your case...but if you car sounds like a honda lawnmower then you deserve the ticket

Are you serious? If you are...that's one of the most rediculous things i've ever heard.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

It was probly 'cause I shined it up @ Import Motion , Sorry Brad, I will help pay for my part in the crime
Old 03-15-2007, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

My boyfriend had gotten pulled over for speeding like 100mph on the freeway it was by state patrol too. But apparently he didn't get the chance to lock the speed on his gun,.. so he mentioned to us that his exhaust was too loud. And thats all that he said, since he wasn't able to lock the speed, he let us go... the nicest state patrol EVER!! And my boyfriend went back to the exhaust place to get a resinator put into his car so its quieter and the guy who owned the place said that if any cop gives me trouble about his exhaust to call him up and talk to the cop himself,.. because it doesn't exceed the decibals in the law. State patrol, really has nothing better to do.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Leslie, in some states, for example California, there is an actual SPL limit (often around 95dBA) in the law, which requires officers to have calibrated SPL meters to make measurements, etc.

Here is Washington state the requirement is much simpler in some ways: Any exhaust system that is louder than the stock system is illegal. The actual text of that law was posted a few posts back.

While that expresses the requirement more simply, and can make "testing" very direct (park stock and modified next to each other, rev 'em up and see which make the most noise. If the modified system is appreciably louder, it's toast).

Thing is, if there is no stock system handy, there are no objective limits stated in the law to use instead.

Unless it is really obvious, there may be no convenient way to prove that a modified exhaust is too loud. (On the other hand, if the modified exhaust is obviously louder than most any stock system on a similar car, the ticket will probably stick.)

Keep in mind, though, that just being "different" or "non-stock" is NOT illegal in this state.

(Wish I could find my old Radio Shack SPL meter - I have no idea where that thing went.)

Tom

Quick Reply: just got a ticket