Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

lacey car show

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 AM
DCL

Importspeed… don’t let those Hot Rodders get you down man… you, me, and just about every other import tuner knows that they are the first ones to steal our customization ideas, and try to claim them as their own.

Before I continue, I want to reiterate the ScionLife Forum Rules, in particular, Rule #1, and #2:

#1. I will keep my posts relevant and helpful.
-Be helpful and do no harm!
-Post that have veered off topic or bashing WILL be locked, split or deleted.
-Do not multi-post the same subject on different areas. This is considered Spamming and will be deleted.
-Allowed multi-post are Large Events (I.e. HIN etc), threads will be Locked and Linked to the Region or Club.
-Any personal attack to a member will not be tolerated.
-Lighten up! This is a fun place, don't take anything on this site too seriously.

#2. I will make sure that the forums are kept family-friendly.
-Use only language acceptable in public. Misspelled profanity is still profanity. If you must cuss, use "#&$*#@%!!"
-The same applies to images. If it isn't appropriate for display in public, it isn't appropriate for display on ScionLife.

Ok… now that’s out of the way… let me continue by saying that I was one of the other Kia’s at the show yesterday that won “Favorite Sport Compact”.

Now, before everyone freaks out, and starts biting my head off, let me just say that between the Tib’s, the Kia’s, and the Scions, there were 16 high quality (late model) imports in attendance at that show, and that’s pretty darn good considering this was a predominantly all-Hot Rod event. Yeah, there were other imports sporadically placed throughout the venue, but honestly, none were of the caliber of the Scions, Tib’s, and Kia’s. Yes, even the Kia’s.

I’ve noticed that there was a little Kia bashing posts in this thread, and for the life of me I can’t understand why.

blatant-blue wrote:
I was slightly ____ed considering our cars were about 100 times cooler than the tib's and the Kia's.
BZinn1 wrote:
...next time I see you i will roll up on you in my KIA......vroommmmmmm.......shes got stock hubcaps baby.........and a panasonic stereo.......... how the Effen can a KIA win anything........and why would you mod one…
You want to know why there aren't enough car shows around here with categories for imports? THIS is why. The constant bashing between tuners. It’s ridiculous! Why does this still happen? As if the sport wasn’t competitive enough that we have to compete with $80k - $100k Hot Rods at these “open” car shows, we now have to face even tougher scrutiny from other import tuners? Why? I just don’t get it.

During this event yesterday, I was engaged in conversations with several of the Scion owners there, and at that show, Nathan was giving the Kia’s mad props… did he mention that in his post on here? Nope. But, it doesn’t change the fact that I still have much respect for the Scions, and their owners, that were there, as well as this community.

Look… far be it from me to say who’s the better import… that‘s not why I‘m here. My fellow Kia tuners, and I, work extremely hard to break the stereotypical negativity all the narrow minded people have created about Kia’s in the import tuning community. The trophy wins on Saturday further solidified the fact that our hard work is indeed paying off again. I say again, because we had a Teammate who took home first place honors at the 2006 H.I.N. show in Seattle. Not to mention the multiple wins at the 2006 Hot Summer Rides show, which was very much like this show on Saturday. And that’s just the car shows… we have several Teammates that compete in several SCCA events, Time Attack, Auto-X and we have several very quick Quarter Mile cars as well. Our I.C.E. competitors are just getting started this year, and next year is looking to be even better for them. Just like the Scions.

Although, unlike Scions, Kia owners don’t have the luxury of buying our aftermarket parts from the dealership, or out of a magazine. Most, if not all, of our customizations are done by the owners themselves, in true tuner fashion. This isn't to say that buying your parts from the dealership, or a magazine, isn't being a tuner, because believe me, if we could, we would. I only mention it to make a point at the difficulties Kia tuners face in getting aftermarket parts. If that doesn’t garner any respect from people, then maybe they should set aside their opinions for a moment, and learn about what a tuner really is. Check out UrbanDictionary.com if you want the definition of a tuner.

The point I’m getting at here is we all work darn hard on customizing our rides. Don’t let the negative comments you hear at these shows ____ you off. Instead, turn that negativity around, and educate these people on the sport of import tuning. Most of those “Old Timers” there couldn’t tell you the difference between a Honda, from a WRX, or a Scion, from a Hyundai. Knowledge is power, and it’s up to us to prove to them that we have every right to be there just as much as they do.

I look forward to competing against Scions, and Tibby’s, and all the other imports again at other car shows, this year, and next. I want to be right there next to all of them competing for the same trophies that they’re competing for. So, keep going to these types of car shows… it’s the only way we can create a spot for tuners in them. Like it or not, that’s just how is.

And if you really want to even the playing field for import tuners, try becoming a member of the NCCA, the National Custom Car Association (www.4ncca.com). All of us Kia tuners set-up our rides according to the judging criteria as outline by the NCCA. In the very near future, you’re going to see more, and more car shows use this format for their judging, and that’s why we’ve adapted these guidelines now.

The National Custom Car Association (NCCA) was organized by a group of competitors whom frequently tour the show circuit. By becoming a member, you will be informed of all NCCA sanctioned shows, and at these shows you will compete against other competitors, just like at any other show; however by being a NCCA member, your results will convert into points. Your points will accumulate through the show season. You will have the chance to earn a national title and a piece of the progressive cash purse.

What makes this a fair, fun, and exciting competition is that the NCCA point system makes it possible for someone with a moderately modified vehicle, who is visibly seen on the show circuit, able to earn as many points as a trailer car which makes limited appearances. You see it is not only your vehicle that is being challenged, but your enthusiasm and participation too.

If you are not ready to compete, that is fine too. Join the NCCA to follow the event dates to come, and to see the results from the shows that past. Come to the events to see the latest trends and to meet people who are into the same hobby as you. Besides being a competition, the show scene is the best place to see the latest products and ideas. You do not have to compete to be a member, but as a member you will receive the following;

1. An official rulebook.
2. An official membership card.
4. The NCCA will keep track of your earned points from sanctioned events
... during the season. (For those that are competing)

Whether you are interested in joining to compete, or just to keep up with the latest show dates, it is simple to join. All they ask is that you complete the membership application found on their website, and then to get yourself a copy of the rulebook, just send your annual membership dues in the amount of $26.95 with the application to:

NCCA
P.O. Box 481
Mechanicsburg Pa 17055
Attn: New Membership Department

They know it’s hard to earn respect in such a competitive sport, now it is your turn to take it. Join the NCCA in creating what will be the largest automotive competition association in the nation, if not the world. By becoming a part of the NCCA, we as competitors can finally get the recognition we deserve! And you can even take judging courses to become a judge at these events. Again, knowledge is power. The more you know what the judges will be looking for, the better your chances of winning at other shows.

Ok. That’s my 2 cents worth on the Lacey show. Please understand, I’m on your side. I fight the same battles as you in this sport, and get the same negativity at these shows as you do. You’re not alone in this. I know how bad it sucks to hear someone put down your ride, and all the hard work you put into it... it makes you just want to smack'em. Instead, go to that person, and ask them why they said those things. I promise you they'll dummy-up real quick when you get in their face about it. Take that opportunity to talk them more about your ride. You never know, after doing this, they'll probably change their mind, and their opinion about your ride, and might even become fans.

Don’t further isolate yourself by not going to any other shows like this, or talk down about other import tuners. Stand together for the better good of the sport… don’t hate the players… hate the game. - DCL
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

ummm ok well you can post what ever you want all i am saying is that i think ours were not judged at all we stood around our cars cleaning them and for about 6 hours + and not one judge walked over and and judged them. that is all i am saying besides we do not need to be put in a category with corvettes and other new musle cars. thank you for your time later
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

all i am saying on this was that our cars were not judged that is it why cant people just read that and say dang brad that sucks maybe we need to send them a msg about it and get a response from them about it. thats it, thats all. maybe me bringing all this drama and ranting about it all of us scions can go there and truly rep the brand and show those judges what scion and the import comunity can do. Plus i think that nsx or the subi should have gotten something or the rx7 with the engine swap i mean come on that rsx is way more costing then alot of the imports put togather. but anyways later this thread needs to be locked up

thomas do you magic buddy thanks to all and a good night
Old 09-17-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I agree

The judges knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They CHOSE to ignore us. If they are going to charge $15-20/car, have import clubs pre-registered, then they should make things fair. That's all that I am saying.

I could care less about what anyone said about our cars being there. That "high-mucky-muck" attitude is the reason I stopped attending classic shows and clubs back when I had my '65 Mustang.

Hopefully, they will take into consideration for next year, and I will mention to them there are a few Scion clubs in the Seattle area with 300+ members. A lot will show if they included more import/tuner/4cyl categories.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

for show LOL
if we can get in contact with some one that was working the show and state some stuff you never know.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Something you may try is to "Sponsor"a Scion award or 2. Dustin did it for a show here in Battle Ground. I'm sure T/A would sponsor an award if the proceeds went to charity. It does suck to not get judged as a few of us had this happen earlier this year at the coast. That's my 2 cents. Bash if you must.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well stated Matt, and we had fun at that car show at the beach. Whatever you do, don't call and complain about the judging, that will get you nowhere and could get the catagory dropped completely because the "ricers" aren't happy. That will be their attitude. Maybe ask to help out and as Matt stated, see about sponsoring an award. Also, don't go bashing the person who won the award, that person put alot of time and money into their car also, applaud them for the work they did and try to out do them next time.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

DCL well put, the scene needs more people like you! You cannot expect to go to a classic car show and get a trophy for an import guys! I agree w/ Brad and all if the judges didn't even look, thats lame, but at the same time does it matter if you didn't go for a trophy in the first place? I know it is frustrating but like is said ^ & ^^ sponsor a trophy next year or work w/ the promoters to expand the import class! Make positive change instead of complaing about how things are! Come on guys we are a community Scion or not!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

It was a waste of 20 bucks. Glad you agree with him, because he wasted about 20 minutes of my life reading that entire book. Erik, I got a new mid-pipe put back on my car so now it doesn't smell like rediculous leaking exhaust. Makes me happy.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Nice can't wait to hear it and not smell it!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i am not going to bash the car show i am just mad or a little bit mad that our cars where not judged but you know if i did get in contact with the promoters i am not going to bash them i am not that kind of person, and for the kia owner if you all read before i am friends with kid that won, last year i was parked next to him and his wife and had a great time chatting with them. He congrate me on my work i have done and the same to him on his. I will try to contact someone and see what i can do or even the team might be able to do to help out. other then that later and oh yeah nate get ahold of that dude about that part i need for my ride and oh yeah i want my defouler back LOL damn you erik for giving nate my part LOL later
Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^True that. Think it would be cool to work w/ the Tibby and Kia guys on supporting a few trophies....Nothing like spreading the love!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yep that would be sweet
Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hello Scion friends & family!

JUDGING
Let's not bash other tuner's makes/models when the ROOT CAUSE here for the dissatisfaction is that there was an impression that the cars were not judged.

If that is so, then I feel that Brad, Corina, & Nathan have a right to be upset for paying $20 on entry only to be 'skipped over.'

At the same time, every show-n-shine (especially hot rod shows) will never have consistent awards because each show has different criteria for judging. I won 8 trophies in 2006 with a stock car and even beat Tim's HIN winning tC at the APPLE Battle Ground Hot Rod show.

That being said, it is never a ‘waste’ to go to a show. First of all there is the camaraderie and fellowship that one gets for the day. Secondly, every show one attends adds knowledge, growth, and learnings about showing cars. Third, every show attended adds to the resume of where one’s car has been scene at when one goes looking for sponsorships or discounts. Fourth, each show helps one to widen their outlook and to thicken their skin.

POSITIVE SHOW CHANGES
I think that Brad has every right to call and ask if there was a judging sheet that he could look at or question if a judge even evaluated his car.

In addition, there are several ways to create positive change in the show scene. Indeed, in 2006, there were several trophies which were sponsored by various elements of the Scion community (Scion Corp., Scion Evolution, etc) that helped with bringing awareness to the Scion brand at smaller show & shines as well as classic/hot rod shows. That is a great way to go and if there are particular shows or cities that people can recommend, we can move forward for 2008 in contacting the promoters and setting those up.

Also, I have been very successful in sitting down with various parks & recreation departments of local cities to explain why classic/hot rod shows need import/tuner classes. Cities such as Auburn are now open and giving trophies for classes in which our vehicles would fall into. Sometimes cities and other organizations just don’t realize the segments that they are missing by limiting entries to pre-80’s vehicles.

SCION COMMUNITY ATTUTUDES
I know that I work very hard at promoting the Scion brand, bringing people into the friendly community we have, and making our ‘family’ one with open arms to owners of ALL MAKES & MODELS. I would hope that we are an INCLUSIVE community not an EXCLUSIVE clique.

That’s why it really hurts me to hear members say that non-Scion owners have no business on this forum. I am a member of over 50 forums, most of which are non-Scion oriented in any way. I am personally shocked and mortified when certain forum members attack my posts because I am not part of the ‘inner circle’ or an owner of their particular focus. That is absolutely counter-intuitive to growing love and support for themselves in a greater import tuner community!

This is an open community in which we have several members who are non-Scion owners but are part of our larger import tuner family. Several households own more than one vehicle and they may be of manufacturers that people are flaming here in this thread. Just think, our community has members with Toyotas, Kias, Dodges, Hondas, Volkswagens, Minis, Subarus, and a variety of other rides. A few of our members don’t even own a car at all but they have still participated because of how open-minded the majority of our community is.

I don’t think that anyone was in any way ‘spoken down’ to by DCL. I think he has every right to be here, every right to defend what he feels are attacks against the brands that he loves, and has every right to still be accepted and respected. He took the time to write a thought-provoking and educated response instead of just coming out fists-flying and attacking. And how did some of our community repay him? By sinking to a lower level, attacking him for his pride in the work his community has put forth trying to improve their image and brand, and in the end telling him he shouldn’t be posting here. Since when were we ScionLife members the ones who make the choices of who should & shouldn’t have rights on this forum?

Haven’t we SCION OWNERS had to defend our brand and cars at several points in our ownership? Haven’t we had to validate our ability to be accepted and included in the import tuner or greater car show communities? Why is there the need then to do unto others what we hated being done to us for so many years?

Along those lines, I don’t appreciate people making attacks on classic/hot-rod car owners and promoters. Had I deep pockets I would be restoring and showing classic cars as I know many others in this group would as well. I have taken the time to talk to several classic owners at shows and for the most part I have been welcomed and encouraged by them. In addition, I found that they have been open to learning about the import tuner community. As Rodney King said, “Can’t we all just get along?” I think that as long as everyone can come to the table and respect each other for the time, work, and money that we have ALL invested in our hobbies, that many bridges can be formed and common ground can be found.

I’m sorry for the long diatribe but I will like everyone to be more cognizant of what our words give to the perceptions of others in our greater car enthusiast community. REMEMBER - ScionLife is an open, public site and your comments will stay here forever and will be viewable by anyone (registered or not) - anytime for years to come! Please try to be open, inviting, educating, and encouraging of all manufactures, makes, models, brands, ages, etc. The more we can work with others and take the high road, the more we will see in terms of our community growing and strengthening the Scion brand! When we attack others and start to exclude people - that is when the community will fall apart.

SCION LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

CoreyAnn brought up a lot of good points. Well said.

I think though she brings up a good point, there are a lot of people lurking this forum, I know because I do it on other forums, and if the area feels hostile, then people don't want to post. And that doesn't help any of us.

Well my plain to Las Vegas is boarding.. so I am cutting this short I will chime in later on.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^ very true, In other words: Treat other as you would have them treat you, Scion or not!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Since I was quoted........let me say........I own a KIA.........have since 2001......drive it everyday.......it is a good car.....there are no aftermarket parts available for it........or I should say little to none and that is why I say why would you mod one.......sorry to upset someone.........hey they will get over it..........and I will still be driving my KIA every day to work and back.

My Scion is my hey I work my butt into the ground every day till I cannot walk and just want to cruise in a nice ride for a little bit........so if you want to mod your KIA cool........

I have built and owned several classic cars.........my father taught me nearly everything there was to know..........and my first love wil always be my '70 GTO.........it was the only car I could say loved me back..........nothing like 500+ ponies to the rearjust wish the damn thing could stop better.........and corner..........hence why I finally gave up and bought a tuner.......the small tuners are great at everything..........and why I bought one.......but at many car shows........the classics are the first to ignore the tuners...........shame really as the first time I got smoked in my goat was by a flipping Acura..........damn he was fast.........

Saturday in Portland I got to see a r34 up close and personal........and let me tell you it was a beast......my friends hubby teaches at the Portland raceway.....he was more interested in my little car ........he even pulled his BBSs out and put them on mine to see how they looked.........guy has a $80000 race car and likes my under $20000 Scion......
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

koombyyyyahhhh.......

**edit this comment was after readding just CA's post... i didnt see the other post that prompted that... but it still remains valid ****
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Old 09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well coryann if you could somehow contact them for us (the car show people) and talk to them since you are use to that sorta stuff and help out then that would be cool. i hope that the stuff i wrote didnt affend anyone but like i said before i just think and know that my ( our cars) were not judged and that sucks but we live and learn. Plus there was two hot roders well one old timer and one younger guy that i chatted with. the old timer asked my about stereo stuff just like last year one guy wanted to know if i knew of anyplace that he could get custom setero set up for his model t speakers and then on saturday same thing, stereo stuff. the young guy was i think 25 and drove a t bucket, man me and him talked for hours about the tc. but anyways need help with this car show and if coryann you could that would be cool thanks and check you later

Quick Reply: lacey car show