Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Need Help!I'm getting screwed(sorry no cliff notes)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need Help!I'm getting screwed(sorry no cliff notes)

Okay it started two and a half weeks ago I bought a set of rims and tires from a goodyear store in Ballard(Wash.). I delt mainly with the manager of the store. The rims were a set of Max Sport 002(black/silver) 15x8, that I prepaid for. The next day the manager called me up and told me that the rims I wanted were on backorder for 3 months. I told him that I didn't want to wait that long for my rims, and that he can go ahead and cancel my order. He replied with a "Let me see if I can find something else in that size and I'll get back to you". I said "okay". He later called me back and left a message on my cell phone saying he had good news and that I should call him back. When I called him he told me that he couldn't find another 15x8 rim, but rather he found a set of Focal F6(black/silver) in a 16x8. He told me that with the right size tire it would make the overall height the same as stock and the Max Sport 002, at the same time giving me the same width as the MS 002. He then wanted me to come into his shop to take a look at the rims(picture), which I did. I told him that I was going to lower the car up to 2 inches and that I didn't want to run into any rubbing issues with the rim/tire and the cars suspension or its body. He assured me that there wasn't going to be any problems and that he'll get the right offset, so I believed him. Afterall he was a "professional". I asked him repeatedly before and after he placed in the order if the rims were infact 16x8, because I didn't remember ever seeing anything in that size from Focal, Rota, Konig, etc...The manager repeatedly told me yes they are 16x8's. About 4 days later my rims came in, though I couldn't have them put it on till the following day(not important why--just sticking with the facts). When I got there the 1st thing out of the managers mouth was "I took a look at them and they're nice". I gave him my keys and off he went. After they installed my rims/tires I went outside to take a look at them. Right off it didn't look right to me, mainly from what I remember of the cars on here. So I asked him again, "are those 16x8's?". As always he said "yes". About 2 weeks later I get frustrated with the way it looks and I decide to pull one of the rims off to see for myself if it is truely a 16x8. Well low and behold it says 16x7 with the offset stamped on. Which is not the same as what he wrote down on a peice of paper. So wrong width and wrong offset. So I go back and tell him and he acts really surprised. I asked him to remove the wheels and give me a refund, because they're not what I wanted and not what he told me they were. He removed the rims and put the stocks back on, then told me that he needed to talk to the owner first. He's been giving me the runaround for 3 days now, and today he said that the owner who is on vacation, but told him that I can't get a refund because the rims are used, but they could get me a dicount on a new set of wheels...am I wrong here????

Please let me know.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

If you have a receipt, or documentation stating that the wheels were 16x8, you have a much better case... and should be really easy... just lift up the receipt and say you paid for 16x8 rims, not 16x7.

If you don't have a receipt that states that, then you're in MUCH worse shape... it's just word against word, and you'd have the responsibility to check upon purchase, at that time, you could have more easily made the claim.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So basically what you might want to do is show him the model number, show him that they do not come in a 16x8 cuz they don't. Simple as that. Just do the best you can to keep your cool. Dunno what else to say
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only bad thing is you left the dealership with the rims, then came back 2 weeks later. good luck hope things work out for you.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you hadn't waited two weeks you would have a better case but that all set aside. Do you have anything taht states 16x8? If not, you are trying to go up creek with no paddle. Sorry man.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

As long as you have a receipt, then you have a strong chance of getting your money back.

I had problems with Goodyear many years ago with a refund request for a poorly conducted alignment. It took about 3 visits and lots of patience, but I got my $40 back! It wasn't the money I wanted. It was just the principle of the matter.

You deserve a complete refund. Be aggressive, because Goodyear is tough.

This is what I recommend:
Speak only to management.
Ask management for the corporate office phone number and address.
Ask management for the regional manager's phone number and address.
Ask management for their Business License number.
Ask management to sign a document stating that they refuse to issue you a refund.
Let them know that you are reporting them to the corporate office, the regional manager, the bureau of automotive repair, department of consumer affair and the Better Business Bureau.
You will need to be consistent, and aggressive, but don't lose your cool. Be respectful and polite regardless of the situation.

Good luck!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

AROQ, nicely put.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That is great advice AROQ. You should be cool if you follow that........key thing is, stay calm the whole time. You are more likely to get your way.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thanks guys. Just trying to help out where I can.

Once a shop mounts the tires onto the rims, they are yours. Mounting the tires onto rims causes marks which is part of the process yet only cosmetic, however, deem the rims no longer new. That is why all sales are final when it comes to rims. In this case, you were misquoted and mislead.

It is important to find out when the regional manager is in. Regional managers are required to checkup on their stores and if you plead your case to him or her, they have more authority to issue a refund ON THE SPOT! Most Goodyear and other major auto repair shops will do whatever it takes to keep you from posting complaints to the corporate office or the business bureaus.

You have rights. Instill fear and you will overcome. Let us know what happens.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks a lot AROQ and everyone else. I spoke to a manager higher up on the food chain today, but nothing really new went on. I told him what happened and he asked me if the manager at the store showed the rims to me before they were mounted onto the car. I told him no, all that happened was I gave the guy my keys and he gave it to a tech. I went outside and watched my car being worked on from the parking lot(customers aren't allowed in the work bay). The upper management guy told me that that sounded weird. In hind sight I guess it does, but that's what happened. He said that he'd look into it futher and that he'll get back to me tomorrow. Hopefully everything will work out okay. I just hate being nice and cool and trusting with people, and then just get bent over the couch like this. All this, just so some tool can keep a sale...

More later,
Ven
Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No one said get bent over the couch or be trusting just be nice and cool.......and make sure he knows that unless it is taken care of it will go higher up the food chain. Threaten him but with a bit of tact........
Old 04-22-2006, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorry sheep, but I was refering to the store manager when I first went into his shop and purchased the rims. Instead of doing honest business he tried to cheat me. Well, I said tried, because I was given a full refund today by the gentalman from their corporate office that called me yesterday. There was no explaination given nor did I ask. I am just happy that it ended with me getting my money back and I don't have to deal with or think about this again. Not saying that all is forgiven, I still think the manager is a cheat and a used car salesman in a goodyear outfit. He will surely not be on my Christmas list this year. Oh well, lesson learned.

thanks again guys,
Ven
Old 04-22-2006, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ALL'S WELL ENDS WELL
Old 04-22-2006, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

great to hear.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

At least you didn't have to call Chuck Norris!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^2nd that....

and congrats on getting your $$ back
Old 04-23-2006, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good job. nice toi know you got taken care of in the end
Old 04-23-2006, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to hear that you got this taken care of, now go to Les Schwab's and get your tires and wheels, lol, j/k.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It is a bit of a drive but Evette's man, Brian, is the guy to work with at Les Scwabb......speaking of, has anyone seen them lately? Last I heard they were going out of town for vacation and now I haven't seen nor heard anything about them in over a month....
Old 04-23-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing you are in bellevue, check out what Car Nutz can do for you too!

Quick Reply: Need Help!I'm getting screwed(sorry no cliff notes)