ID, OR, WA

O2 sensor hard to get out of a 08 tc factory exhaust header

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default O2 sensor hard to get out of a 08 tc factory exhaust header

Hi just wanted to tell everyone I got my strup header today! Anyway everything went smoothly until I tried to take the O2 sensor out of the exhaust manifold, it wouldn't come out it was like it was welded in there. I manage to get it out after fighting with it for like 20 min, but I striped the threads all to hell, so I am going to have to get a new o2 sensor. I manage to get it to temporly work until I get a new one, but its expensive, 200$! Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

yup. Its the 4-wire one right? If so yeah its really spendy..
Old 03-14-2009, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah this is a pretty common thing... toyota doesnt seem to like using anti seize compound in the factory... bastards. the only real thing you can do is put some form of penetrant oil on there (light amount or it can foul the sensor) and then work it back and forth a few times to really get it loose and then hit it with a thread file once its out to straighten the threads out a bit... and when you put it back in just make sure to put some anti seize on it. that part is very important... otherwise your just gonna have that problem again if you ever have to take the sensor back out... i actually had to by a thread chaser in a extra super huge size just for fixing O2 sensor bungs because of people not putting anti seize on them.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yep no anti sieze and they are probably put in by a machine so they are 50/50 whether they come out or not......got lucky with mine as it did not want to come out and we managed to get it out in tact......call a few wrecking yards and see if you can get one for $20 before buying new.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine got stuck on my 06 tc they are expensive for a new one lol
Old 03-14-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought they were cross-threaded in. so it makes nearly impossible to remove. cause the same happened when i swapped my header. cheap to replace the bung. expensive to replace the sensor.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

universal Denso O2 sensors cost about 60 bucks all u gotta do is wire, its not hard at all, but it saves a lot of money!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive had to buy 2... 230 a piece
Old 03-15-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by qrymson
i thought they were cross-threaded in. so it makes nearly impossible to remove. cause the same happened when i swapped my header. cheap to replace the bung. expensive to replace the sensor.
Hi guys, well I got the O2 sensor to thread into the header, but when taking the O2 sensor out of the s-pipe I striped that to, it seems to me like they were cross threaded in from the factory. I welded the O2 sensor into my cel eliminator since it was striped, but it still throwing a error. I guess I messed both O2 sensors up and made a expensive mistake. Anyway watch out for the O2 sensor everyone and be careful!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the key to removing them is to go slow and use heat if there stuck.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="pioneer1976"]the key to removing them is to go slow and use heat if there stuck.[/quote

I tried heat, but they were stuck bad. It wouldn't of surprise me if the car was older, but the car was brand new, anyway lesson learned I guess LOL.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I wil ask the stupid question,what CEL eliminator and header,did you use the Weapon R eliminator as it won't throw a CEL,which would meen you fried the sensor welding it on,but the anti foulers can still throw CELs depending on what header you used.

Also when you put the new sensors in use anti sieze compound on them so they can come out again and take your time putting them in.

Also we are all here to help so in the future jsut ask and I am sure someone can give you a hand.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I wil ask the stupid question,what CEL eliminator and header,did you use the Weapon R eliminator as it won't throw a CEL,which would meen you fried the sensor welding it on,but the anti foulers can still throw CELs depending on what header you used.

Also when you put the new sensors in use anti sieze compound on them so they can come out again and take your time putting them in.

Also we are all here to help so in the future jsut ask and I am sure someone can give you a hand.
I got the strup cel eliminator along with there header, it is the l-shape cel. I should of been more patient, because now I will have to get both new O2 sensor and another cel, but there was know way the O2 sensors where coming out without stripping them, they must of accidently put them in cross threaded from the factory. Anyway it is a expensive mess that I have to pay for now. I did put some anti sieze on the one in the header, but I did not put it in very tight because of the threads being messed up.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

cut the weld very patiently with dremel and unscrew it,it might be ok to put new sensor into.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
cut the weld very patiently with dremel and unscrew it,it might be ok to put new sensor into.
Hi guys I got my O2 sensor and air fuel sensor replacements today and am just waiting on my new cel elimantor to come in. But since the air fuel ratio sensor on the factory exhaust header came out cross thread I call my dealership to see if they would cover the cost and they said no, but told me to contact Scion directly to see if they would cover the cost. Normal I wouldn't complain, but since my car is still under warranty and the sensor was with out anti seize from the factory I feel they should cover it. I called scion and talked to Shawn and he was very helpful and is talking to the Scion warranty department to see if he can help me out. But I am going to encourage anyone that has had this problem with the O2 sensor to contact scion at 1 866 707 2466 to tell them about it, so me and others that have this problem won't be stuck with the cost of replacing the air fuel sensor that was flawed from the factory. When you call the # go the the part the says: (tell us about a experiences you have had) and talk to Shawn if possible Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Scion is going to give me 1/2 the price of the air/fuel sensor and 1/2 the price of the exhaust manifold, So I came out money ahead! It is around $285 total there going to give me, WOW. I encourage anyone else that has had this problem to contact scion!

Thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

WoW that is actually pretty cool of them......they really do try hard to work with the customer.I know there are horror stories as there always be.......but really they did step up and helped out....that is great.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

wd-40 works great... just let it sit for 5 minutes... and then whipe everything good before re-installing... didnt have any trouble takin my O2 sensors out when i put my mmw headers on
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yeah it is about 50/50 chance of crossthreading......all cars are lke that though.........
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive had really good lucking using that PB Blaster stuff, seems to loosen stuck bolts even better than WD40. i think it has some kind of penetrating compound? its done what WD40 couldnt.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor hard to get out of a 08 tc factory exhaust header