Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

Performance/Custom Exhaust in the West Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro Area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Performance/Custom Exhaust in the West Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro Area?

Now that I have the Five Axis kit installed on my Red Box, I'm looking to get a custom dual exhaust to match the openings in the Five Axis rear valance.

Originally, I was planning to get the new Five Axis specific version of the Tsudo Fireball dual cat back exhaust from Speed Elements. However, after seeing photos of that exhaust mounted on another RS6.0 with a Five Axis kit, I'm very disappointed with the appearance/fit. I am even more disappointed in the lack of customer support from Speed Elements, I have contacted them by both PM and email with questions about this product and they never responded to either. They, apparantly, don't want my money.

So, I'm looking elsewhere. I'd like to find a local exhaust shop that can put together a custom dual exhaust for my 2009 xB that has a deep, throaty growl (like the Tsudo), fits the car and the kip kit properly (unblike the Tsudo), has good looking tips (unlike the Tsudo), and ideally, I'd like removable silencers (like the Tsudo). For 80 - 90% of my driving, I'm the only one in the car, but the other 10 - 20% I have kids in the back seat. A little rumble won't be a problem on short trips, but it would be nice to have some silencers to put in for the occasional long trip. I'd also like to keep the cost to $400 or less (the price of the Tsudo).

Can anyone recommend an exhaust shop in the West Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro area that could pull together a system that would meet my needs?

I have no first hand experience with any custom exhaust shops. I spent some time on google and reading online reviews. A1 Muffler on Barbur Blvd seems to get universal praise in the online reviews. Anyone have first hand experience with them? It's a bit of a drive for me, but I don't mind if they do great work at a fair price.

Any others?

Thanks,
PDX_xB
Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I would spend some time looking @ universal mufflers & tips to find the design that you like then look @ having them mounted. If you are not after any performance gains that would be the most cost-effective way to do it and get what you want. Otherwise you will most likely be several hundred in with materials to do a full S-pipe back system custom made.

IMO a rectangular tip would look the best considering the opening...
Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
I would spend some time looking @ universal mufflers & tips to find the design that you like then look @ having them mounted. If you are not after any performance gains that would be the most cost-effective way to do it and get what you want. Otherwise you will most likely be several hundred in with materials to do a full S-pipe back system custom made.

IMO a rectangular tip would look the best considering the opening...
I've been looking at rectangular, oval and dual tips, both straight and bent upward. So, many options.

I'm not really looking for performance gains (there are more cost effective ways to improve performance). I want something that sounds good (low rumble/growl, not wet farts in a can) and looks good. I think getting either would be a piece of cake. Getting both, together, may be a bit more challenging.

I really like the sound of the Tsudo in this clip (you need a good speaker system with a subwoofer attached to your computer to hear how deep it is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVioo715XTg

However, I don't like the fitment with the Five Axis kit shown here:

Name:  ed5.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  58.3 KB

You think with a $400 custom exhaust that is designed specifically for this car and this lip kit, they'd at least be able to come close to getting the tips centered in the openings. They aren't even close. I have contacted Speed Elements (the only one who sells this particular exhaust, that I am aware of) about this multiple times, but they have never responded.

The Tsudo Fireball muffler is a copy of the original 5Zigen Fireball that was discontinued a few years ago. I could always get a couple of these mufflers ($80.00 each for the Tsudos or other Fireball clones < $50.00 each), have the tips of my choice welded on and have the whole thing mounted and installed by a local shop to insure proper fitment. That may be the way I end up going. I like the DIY, bolt-on nature of the Tsudo dual exhaust, but if it fits poorly and the dealer can't be othered to answer questions, it's probably best to look elsewhere.

PDX_xB
Old 12-30-2009, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I think Redbeard on here has a dual exhaust on his 2nd gen and it sounded beautiful......might want to hit him up for what he had installed.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^I think his is the fireball, he has a Fiveaxis kit as well!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8056
^I would start with something like this (you will need to find your stock inlet size)

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8375
^would be my choice of tip w/ that kit
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I think Redbeard on here has a dual exhaust on his 2nd gen and it sounded beautiful......might want to hit him up for what he had installed.
Yep, he has the Tsudo, but I don't believe he has the Five Axis kit.

PDX_xB
Old 12-31-2009, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I think his is the fireball, he has a Fiveaxis kit as well!

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8056
^I would start with something like this (you will need to find your stock inlet size)

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8375
^would be my choice of tip w/ that kit
I know those are just MSRP prices, but that comes to almost $500 just for two mufflers and two tips. Even at mail order prices, it's over $350 - and that doesn't include the rest of the pipes or the install.

BTW, that tip was one I liked. I've been checking Magnaflow parts and prices online. In addition to separate mufflers and tips, they have combined mufflers and tips in their Street and Racing series. Buying them combined is definitely less expensive than buying them separately.

I REALLY like the sound of the Tsudo. So, I may just buy a pair of their Fireball mufflers, try to find a couple tips I like and get the rest of the piping and install done at a local shop.

The problem may be finding tips I like that fit over the Tsudo outlets. I believe they are 3.75" (not sure if that's inside or outside diameter). I believe all of the Magnaflow tips are 2.25" inside diameter. So, way too small to fit the Tsudo mufflers.

PDX_xB
Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Didn't even look @ prices lol, might be able to just find generic mufflers w/ the nice tips then. An yes Mike aka Readbeard46 does have the 5a kit:

Name:  P4240583.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  86.1 KB
Name:  P4240586.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  53.4 KB
Old 12-31-2009, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Magnaflow on my xD and it sounds nice and deep. I think you would be happy with the sound of them.

Last edited by robbiej; 12-31-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't even look @ prices lol, might be able to just find generic mufflers w/ the nice tips then. An yes Mike aka Readbeard46 does have the 5a kit:

You're right, of course. Unfortunately, I can't tell from the photos if he has the same fitment issue (off center tips) as the other photo I posted.

PDX_xB
Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by robbiej
I have a Magnaflow on my xD and it sounds nice and deep. I think you would be happy with the sound of them.
Definitely sounds good. Do you know which model number you have. It looks like one of the 5x8 Racing Series, or perhaps one of the Street Series models.

PDX_xB