ID, OR, WA

RCW 46.37.390, Yes I just got a ticket.**update pg 3**

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default RCW 46.37.390, Yes I just got a ticket.**update pg 3**

Okay, so a nice Washington State Patrol officer just decided to give me a ticket for "defective/altered exhaust" the muffler I am using is a TRD, yes, a Toyota Racing and Developement muffler. The officer gave me a 124$ ticket because it is "too loud" (no decimeter readings) When I informed him it was a factory upgrade from Toyota he then told me it was "for off road use only" I looked up the RCW that it says on the ticket and the part that I believe applies to me would be ..

"(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection."

It is TRD exhaust installed by Toyota. I'm going to fight it because it is BS, problem is I'm not sure if I should fight it by my self, or get a lawyer. The ticket is 124$ and my usual lawyer is 300$ because it was installed by Toyota and I saved all my tickets i believe it would be an easy case, any ideas?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fight it... call a local dealer and they should be able to provide you documentation stating the TRD exhaust is legal... at least our local dealer here in Boston did that for a few people.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks L4rry! Ill stop in at toyota tomorrow and get that info.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking about installing one myself. Should I ask for that document before hand L4rry?
Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah, i would recommend getting it freedom, because cops pull you over, BAM! whip out the paper. "have a good day sir"
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what a *****. there are thousands of cars on the road with altered exhaust. trucks and muscle cars are the worse, talk about loud, not to mention bikes... wow...
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm umm fight it. why i say this is the fact that he didn't give you a reading. was that the only reason he pulled you over for????
Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep, and as i was sitting there, i seen 3 cars with a tail light out, 2 cars no blinker, numerous people following too closely. i know cops cant catch them all but this is just a silly ticket.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, no reading and this is the ONLY reason he pulled me over, i seen him coming up on me at a stop light then follow me onto freeway. so i used all my turn signals (100 feet at least) set cruise control to 60 once I got on freeway. so i know I wasn't speeding. but again, no decimeter reading. it was just too loud for his liking. luckily no tints because that would have made it worse.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he has no case. that muffler is an option listed on the scion webpage. seriously this will be the best fight you will ever have cause you will win. no question about it.

it is not much louder then a stock muffler.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection."
no problem just get the info from the dealership that they put out on the table with the options and high light the exshuast and hand it to the court person, i gave them my bill of sale showing it came from the dealership and my pass testing for state test ,he let me go
Old 05-29-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Find somewhere that does a decibal reading and take that in also, I know of a young lady with an Eclipse that got the same ticket and she did that and won her case.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it doesnt say anything about a decibel limit so I'll probably just do what ninja did, go to toyota get the info from them, photocopy my receipt and highlight them.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

the TRD does not exceed 93 decibles...........which is the legal limit.........period

it is also dealer installed.......if ticket goes through in court.......on a dealer installed part.........then take back to dealer for refund..........
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

the embarassing part is my Yaris has a GReddy exhaust that is rated at 96 decibles with the silencer.....I am not running the silencer.........and I bet I am louder than you by far.......sad huh......what a jerk cop.........maybe tomorrow he can get a real criminal for his money.........
Old 05-29-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah, haha, like i said though the RCW has no decibel limits. just cannot be louder then "muffler originally installed on the vehicle" this is the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so.. i want a "contested hearing" right? (saying i DID NOT commit the infraction? not "mitigation hearing" (says i did it but i want to explain the circumstances) correct?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you probably look young and it was the only excuse he can pull you over.

1 out of 10 cars pulled over are unlicensed people.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamessicat25

1 out of 10 cars pulled over are unlicensed people.
wow i did not know that. This is one of the reasons i want to become a State Patrol officer, because tickets like this, i was doing NOTHING to put my self, or anyone else in harms way. i was not speeding, i used my turn signals, i have my head lights on, wearing my seatbelt, its really just a silly ticket.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yeah i agree fight one, my xb's exhaust is loud and i have never gotten pulled over for a bogus law that is never upheld by the law....

Quick Reply: RCW 46.37.390, Yes I just got a ticket.**update pg 3**