Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

And so it begins, then pauses, then starts again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^this is true.
the boost is so excellent it titillates the mind and spirit....caution should be exercised as this route taken has devoured many UN-built poor Tc's

Last edited by alienvictim; 05-29-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Theoretically I should be getting the final package (the manifold) today and will be working until I pass out or the car is towed to the tuners.

I'll update when I've got something.

Stay Tuned.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...wow...F'd again.

Package that is supposed to be here around NOW and was shipped "Next day" yesterday from Descendant is now showing as "Ground" and won't be delivered until the 4th...

I can't even understand how this is so ridiculous...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

You sure didn't order this from Todd @ TurboToyota's? Inside joke if you don't know who and what I'm referring to...Things will work out for you, hang in there...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Dang dude you have been through the wringer on this turbo build...wonder if the Gods are trying to tell you something...
Old 06-04-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car gods are fickle and not without a sense of (perverse) humor... this I know and am well acquainted with. "Sometimes the car gods like to tease me" @ Mediocre Motoring. Not related to the turbo build, but related to the car gods of course.

The turbo "should" be at the garage tomorrow, but I'll be out in the San Juan Islands for some camping with some friends. I won't be back until late Sunday and then we'll have to see when I can get time off work to put it all together.

“Success is sweet and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.”

- Amos Bronson Alcott
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Amos Bronson Alcott........you never suffered the wrath of the car gods.....lol.......
Old 06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:
Well, after almost a full month of waiting for the full kit to be here, I've got the manifold in hands and I've started putting stuff together. To be fair, I don't really have any instructions (supposedly they were supposed to be included, but oh well...) so I'm working it out as best I can. The going is slow, but I've already got the very sexy manifold (see below) on the car and the turbo, WG, dump tube (it's open dump...holy crap this is going to be loud) on the car.

I'm going to run my older tapped oil pan and oil drain lines, but otherwise everything is really really nice looking and fitting...once I figure out how everything is going to fit.

Name:  mountedmanifold.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  119.1 KB

I'm sure you'll see an update in a few hours that contains me cussing and complaining so don't be too surprised if it happens.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by One-Nut_McGee; 06-08-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Remember to wipe the manifold & all hot parts down with rubbing alcohol before you start it! Don't want any fingerprints on the purdy manifold!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Or drool........
Old 06-08-2010, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  mountedmanifold.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  119.1 KB

i have concerns with how close the radiator hose is with that header pipe... you may want to wrap the radiator hose in a fire retardant material. or the header. just looks scary close, and i would hate to see a failure occur from a burnt hose or possible fire from the foam on the hose.

but other-wise looks awesome steve, very excited for you buddy.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alienvictim
i have concerns with how close the radiator hose is with that header pipe...

but other-wise looks awesome steve, very excited for you buddy.
I'll go back and double check the actual distance, but I think it's just a trick of the camera's perspective. If it's not, I might hit you up for that thermal wrap we talked about a while ago.

As per usual, the install isn't done though. I made pretty good progress on almost everything, but I really need the instructions to make sure everything is sitting right. The compressor (cold side) outlet seems to be pointing in the wrong way and I don't even think clocking the housing is going to help due to interference issues with the starter's housing. I'm pretty sure I'm missing at least one silicone coupler. The couplers I have for the BPV are waaayyyy too tall and don't line it all up, and I've gotten all but one of the intercooler pipes figured out pretty nicely.

I'm going to call Rob@Descendant today and see if he can e-mail me the instructions and figure out if I'm really missing the coupler. I've got a bunch of couplers from my old kit so I might just cannibalize until he can ship me the new ones that I paid for.

Not a terrible outcome for the 3 hours I worked, especially considering I did it alone and without instructions...just not done yet.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey! do you already have a set of injectors? im selling my used rc440's w/ descendant racing pnp harness for them!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do actually, but thanks for the offer! I kept the 630cc injectors that came with the original Turbonetics kit I had picked up and just spliced those into the wiring harness.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by One-Nut_McGee
I do actually, but thanks for the offer! I kept the 630cc injectors that came with the original Turbonetics kit I had picked up and just spliced those into the wiring harness.
ahh, awesome!!!! Kits looking awesome, good luck with the rest!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow! I cant believe I missed this thread! Looks like a fun build!
Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thorium06
Wow! I cant believe I missed this thread! Looks like a fun build!
Fun wouldn't be the word I'd have chosen, but glad other people are enjoying it! Truthfully, all the work I'm doing is fun...it's the waiting, getting f'd by UPS, and having to struggle to get time to work on the car are the un-fun parts.

Update:
I've got all the chargepipes on (kit was missing a silicone coupler so I cannibalized my old kit), the intercooler hooked up, turbo, manifold, downpipe, S-pipe all mounted and ready to go.

All I need to do now is to re-attach the WG and dump tube, get the oil feed line all plumbed, get a few vaccuum lines re-attached, fill the car back up with oil (check for leaks), prime the turbo with oil, then I can get it towed to the tuner's spot and I'm ready!

Check out the difference between the stock S-pipe and the Descendant one! Descendant one obviously on the left, check all the crimps on the stock pipe! Serious serious flow restriction going on there...

No good build is completed until you've sacrificed some blood to the car gods. I took this picture in the beginning of the build to show my chuffed knuckle and the (hard to see) really really deep cut on my middle finger. I have many more cuts on my arms, knuckles, palm, and fingers from this. Let no man question the blood and sweat I put into my car.

Name:  Battlewounds.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  62.8 KB

And finally, check the progress. It's hard to see as I didn't have a lot of room and the garage is too dark for my little camera, but it's certainly startin' to look like a full turbo kit.

Name:  Fullturbo.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  72.0 KB

Makin' serious progress here! Stay tuned!

Last edited by One-Nut_McGee; 06-09-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll go back and double check the actual distance, but I think it's just a trick of the camera's perspective. If it's not, I might hit you up for that thermal wrap we talked about a while ago.

I double checked, there's plenty of space between the manifold and the radiator hose. It was just a weird perspective from the angle I took the shot I think.

Still might hit you up later for that heat wrap though, Pete. We'll talk after I get the car running again.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^I would just go silicone hoses when you upgrade the radiator.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I double checked, there's plenty of space between the manifold and the radiator hose. It was just a weird perspective from the angle I took the shot I think.

Still might hit you up later for that heat wrap though, Pete. We'll talk after I get the car running again.
well had to speak up, had you died in a hideous fire i would have felt really terrible...lol

Quick Reply: And so it begins, then pauses, then starts again!