Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

And so it begins, then pauses, then starts again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You got off lucky I have learned to wear gloves after my car tried to kill me...

Wrench slipped and I hit my wrist on my header heat sheild. I later had to get surgery to reattach some tendons. You never know!

Anyways I hear ya with the waiting around, but its going to be sick once you finish!

Last edited by Kanchi; 06-10-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: ewwwww gross!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, cool! Worst I've ever had was stitches, you totally win. Got full movement back or are you limited now?

I usually wear gloves, but the other day was a dumb day for me so I kept on forgetting to put them on. I learned my lesson, again.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have full movment now luckily, but it still gets hung up sometimes. Actually I had just gotten my stiches removed the first tome when I went out to miller to help Dan Gardner.

My car likes to stroke back at me whenever it can lol
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Lookin good man! I'm in pretty much the exact same boat you've been in this past month (waiting on parts from descendant and all), my car and hands look pretty much the same as yours haha.

I think I was missing a piece of straight silicone tubing from descendant as well but I was able to use one from an cai I had laying around.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cavalierkid888
Lookin good man! I'm in pretty much the exact same boat you've been in this past month (waiting on parts from descendant and all), my car and hands look pretty much the same as yours haha.

I think I was missing a piece of straight silicone tubing from descendant as well but I was able to use one from an cai I had laying around.
Interesting that you were missing that part too. I talked to Rob about it and he said they come pre-bagged from his silicone supplier so I'll let him know that this whole batch might be missing some straight couplers.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Remember to wipe the manifold & all hot parts down with rubbing alcohol before you start it! Don't want any fingerprints on the purdy manifold!
Or you can spray brake parts cleaner. Great idea tho
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by One-Nut_McGee
Interesting that you were missing that part too. I talked to Rob about it and he said they come pre-bagged from his silicone supplier so I'll let him know that this whole batch might be missing some straight couplers.
I just double check 6 bag kits that I have here at the shop and they are all correct

Sorry about that guys, I though Steve from the one he thought was missing but I could be wrong. Either way my apologies.
Thanks for the support tho!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update:
Ok, so I went back through and finalized all the tightening and clearance checks. I shaved a little off one of the 90 degree silicone couplers (the one coming off the turbo) to get the intercooler pipe away from intereference with the radiator fan, and adjusted the angle of some of the pipes to make them align properly.

I went over everything and made sure step by step - starting at the airbox - that everything was plugged in, screwed down, tightened or clamped, and then I took inventory of all that was left to do.

I could technically take the car to the tuner right now and put it in their hands. All I need is to get the 1/2 tank of low grade gas out of it, and have them weld in a bung for the wideband, but otherwise it's pretty much ready to be tuned. (Need to T into a vac line twice; once for AEM F/IC and once for the BPV, but that's easy and takes around 10 seconds)

Name:  fullkit.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  107.0 KB

Right now I haven't even started to work on my vacuum manifold, my electronic boost controller, or the Oil cooler/attachments. I'm debating if I want to start doing them this weekend and try to get them done, or if I should just get this thing towed to the shop, tuned, and then just try to install that stuff later.

I think I'm going to wait and do the oil cooler install later. That'll mean I won't have the sandwich adaptor, the oil pressure/oil temperature gauges, or the oil cooler until later, but it'll mean I get my car on its feet. Theoretically, they're easy to install and aren't needed for this turbo build...so we'll see.

Stay tuned!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default SWEEET

Can't wait until I get my $$$$$$ saved..... PS. Looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Lefty!

I think, after looking up the install instructions, I'm going to definitely try to get the boost controller installed before I get it to the tuners. It doesn't seem that hard (http://www.alamomotorsports.com/gred...EC_B_SPEC2.pdf) and they're just going to have to readjust after I put it in anyway. Might as well just get it all done in one pass.

I set some dyno time with CarbConnection for Tuesday @ 10am this coming week. Holy crap...we might actually be close!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boost controller installed.
Vac lines routed.
Vac manifold plugged in. (Needs to be mounted)
Gauge wiring started. (Needs to be finalized tomorrow night)

As soon as I wrap up the vac manifold and the gauge wiring I'll fill the engine back up with oil and we'll get a test fire going. I'm going to ask Rob @Descendant for a basemap so I can get to the tuners as my towing plans got smashed.

Getting close everyone!

Stay tuned!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Stay tuned!
GET TUNED (soon)!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Getting tuned on Tuesday morning if all goes well!

Just gotta wrap up the gauge wires, mount that vac manifold, and drain the old gas and there we go!

Name:  Gaugewires.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  107.7 KB

Tomorrow's job...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Well that's a mighty fine mess you got there Ollie......lol
Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

um wow...i would just push my car out of the garage, set fire too it, and push it down the hill...let insurance sort it out
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Well that's a mighty fine mess you got there Ollie......lol
Yea, it looks pretty fiesty right now as I left a LOT of extra wire so that I can actually wire the gauges to where I want them after the tune. It doesn't help that I wired everything up and turned on the car and only the boost controller worked. Ok...wtf...I break out the multimeter...oh, great...Toyota accidentally made the BLACK wire POSITIVE..._______s. Switch the wiring and everything works!

Name:  Gaugesandboostcontrollerdone.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  63.8 KB

Once I got all the gauges wired in I took the car off the jackstands and test fit the bumper. Holy crap! Everything fits!! Splitter clears the pipes perfectly, the lower grille doesn't interefere! SOMETHING WENT EASILY!!!

Sneaky sneaky...
Name:  Sneakyintercooler.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  87.4 KB

Originally Posted by Kanchi
um wow...i would just push my car out of the garage, set fire too it, and push it down the hill...let insurance sort it out
Trust me man, there have been so many times that I actually considered torching this stupid ___ car. I'm still thinking about it now, but we'll see how I feel the first time I'm actually able to drive it when it's turboed.

Right now, the car has been towed to the shop (CarbConn in Kirkland) and I gave them a list of all the things I needed them to finish up. Mostly just little stuff, maybe about an hour or two's worth of work. After that, it's onto the dyno for some tunin'. It looked like they were insanely busy and I think they were down a guy today so they might not get to me just yet, but that's ok...as long as it's in their hands I have faith. (I'm sure this sentence will come back and bite me, but oh well)

Name:  Pre-towing.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  87.0 KB

Prepped for the tow; bumpers are for suckers.

Watching Lil Dirty get hoisted up onto the truck was a mixture of stress, annoyance, relief, and wallet pain. Oh well, it's in CarbConn's hands now. Wish me luck!

Name:  Gettingtowed.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  106.8 KB

Hopefully the next update you guys get on this thread will be a new dynos sheet and a picture of my epic boner from the first time I drive it. I'm sure we can all guess that if this goes anything like the rest of this build we're more likely to see me crying and complaining, but we'll see.

Stay Tuned!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Hopefully the next update you guys get on this thread will be a new dynos sheet and a picture of my epic boner from the first time I drive it.
I'm down for the dyno sheet, but the boner is not necessary.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Infeliciter
I'm down for the dyno sheet, but the boner is not necessary.
Sorry, they come as a package deal.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice tC man, love the rims
Old 06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck!! can't wait to see the #'s!!

Quick Reply: And so it begins, then pauses, then starts again!