Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

So who is working on anything new.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn Tyler, you're going bezerk on the mods after a long dry spell. Can't wait to see whats going on next.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, gonna need your compressor/air-gun to get the oem pulley off... *cough* ... <3
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cough Lugnuts cough cough...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah yeah! Those too! Ugh!
Old 02-02-2010, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by optional
Just a question, aren't knuckles illegal in WA? I don't know but, could a cop give you lip if he noticed?

Or this one of those "paperweight" deals? lol.
nope they are the real deal, meant for punching d-bags in the face. bought it a convenience store in everett.

but you cant really use them as a pair of knuckles anymore (since they are welded) so that cop would look like a stupid ___ real
fast. technically the club in my car is more dangerous than those knuckles now.

-----------------

and you need to be careful with that crank pulley you just bought. you dont have a balanced racing crank.
so your losing a lot of vibrational dampening by replacing your harmonic balancer, you may
flatten your bearings and cause a lot of early engine failure issues (wrist pins, chatter, general ouchies)....

you will see a 10-15 hp improvement but you will reduce 1/6 to 1/4 of your engines life span, by going that route,
maybe even worse..

i'm saying this because our motors have two sets of crank balance shafts already and if that doesn't say
enough about the need for the harmonic balancer needing to be there i dont know what does..

Last edited by alienvictim; 02-02-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

well recently when i start my car you can smell exhaust fumes coming into the car when the heater is on and so brian came over and he didnt see where it was coming from so yesterday i went and took a look and found out that the new header gasket that came with the new header has some burn outs on the top so i was like WTF so i went to autozone and ordered a new one hopping that will fix it because i have the first of the year autocross going down this sunday so i need my car fixed.

If anyone is interested in coming and watching or maybe trying there hand at autocross hit me up and i will send u the link. later
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brad are you doing SCCA??

Erik and I didn't see you at all last year! We'll be out of the Portland region this year though.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by alienvictim
nope they are the real deal, meant for punching d-bags in the face. bought it a convenience store in everett.

but you cant really use them as a pair of knuckles anymore (since they are welded) so that cop would look like a stupid ___ real
fast. technically the club in my car is more dangerous than those knuckles now.

-----------------

and you need to be careful with that crank pulley you just bought. you dont have a balanced racing crank.
so your losing a lot of vibrational dampening by replacing your harmonic balancer, you may
flatten your bearings and cause a lot of early engine failure issues (wrist pins, chatter, general ouchies)....

you will see a 10-15 hp improvement but you will reduce 1/6 to 1/4 of your engines life span, by going that route,
maybe even worse..

i'm saying this because our motors have two sets of crank balance shafts already and if that doesn't say
enough about the need for the harmonic balancer needing to be there i dont know what does..
That's the plan! haha.

yeah I'm fully aware of the lack of the harmonic balancing on the new pulley, it's been talked about for hundreds of pages all over SL with no one actually having any issues, doesn't mean I won't keep an eye on things, but I'm not worried about it either.

Thanks for lookin' out!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the plan! haha.

yeah I'm fully aware of the lack of the harmonic balancing on the new pulley, it's been talked about for hundreds of pages all over SL with no one actually having any issues, doesn't mean I won't keep an eye on things, but I'm not worried about it either.

Thanks for lookin' out!

you get me a scion with over 140k on it running an aftermarket pulley
the whole time and we will see.

heresay and knowing what "will" happen are different issues. just trying to help.

and its a bad option to replace any harmonic balancer unless your planning to
track a car and keep it low mileage usually with a race motors. its common knowledge with
anyone from domestics, euro's, and imports.

a cheap and dirty way to improve hp at the cost of everything else over time. but again
that's why they put them in race engines because they dont usually see the mileage of a road car.

not trying to start an argument just truly cautioning against rampant upgrades for the sake of just
"upgrading" but either way have fun with that (no sarcasm intended).

Last edited by alienvictim; 02-02-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you get me a scion with over 140k on it running an aftermarket pulley
the whole time and we will see.

heresay and knowing what "will" happen are different issues. just trying to help.

and its a bad option to replace any harmonic balancer unless your planning to
track a car and keep it low mileage usually with a race motors. its common knowledge with
anyone from domestics, euro's, and imports.

a cheap and dirty way to improve hp at the cost of everything else over time. but again
that's why they put them in race engines because they dont usually see the mileage of a road car.

not trying to start an argument just truly cautioning against rampant upgrades for the sake of just
"upgrading" but either way have fun with that (no sarcasm intended).
Well it won't be going on until I get everything checked out under warranty anyway, so if there is any problem going into it, whatever, it was 100$, someone else can grab it from me, but I am excited for the change in throttle response.

Also I need to pick your brain about some vinyl's questions sometime, who won that btw? Did it even get given out?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it won't be going on until I get everything checked out under warranty anyway, so if there is any problem going into it, whatever, it was 100$, someone else can grab it from me, but I am excited for the change in throttle response.
i hope it works out buddy, i really wish people would just start making lightweight harmonic
balancers instead of just throwing out cheap aluminum pulleys....no worries and better response all around.

i have heard good stories about the drive by wire transmitter upgrades. maybe something to look at?

i would also see if they make flex-plate upgrades for your car. but realistically i dont know.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Neither of those things exist for a tC... sadly, we're stuck with cheap pulleys.

One company tried to make one with a harmonic balancer but it was way too expensive and they just stopped..
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by Adorian
Brad are you doing SCCA??

Erik and I didn't see you at all last year! We'll be out of the Portland region this year though.

well here is the link of the two i am going to be doing it is WWSCC,NWR-SCCA

http://www.wwscc.org/calendar.php

and as for last year i only went to one which was the the last one of the year in Bremerton LOL but there year i will be trying to go to as many as i can unless they land on car show days.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, installed my Ingalls camber bolt in the front passenger side today, not gonna mess with the driver side cause it's in spec, but probably will end up installing it anyway and going for -1 camber up front and probably a bit more out back when I've got the camber links for back there.

Also got some vinyl's incoming, and a DoctorIsotope radiator diversion panel, got some plans for that.

Might be swapping for a badgeless garnish and even have my eye on a TRD CAI too.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Name:  2210001.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  167.5 KB

200 grit & Brillo
Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope it works out buddy, i really wish people would just start making lightweight harmonic
balancers instead of just throwing out cheap aluminum pulleys....no worries and better response all around.

i have heard good stories about the drive by wire transmitter upgrades. maybe something to look at?

i would also see if they make flex-plate upgrades for your car. but realistically i dont know.

I saw somewhere there was one model of a harmonic balanced crank pulley for the tC but I can't find it anymore! It was like $400.

Anyways, Pete's right about the vibrations, my friend blew his honda b16 motor up twice because of his, so he went back to his oem crank pulley, and no problems since then.

Currently I have the Agency Power crank pulley for my car but I didn't know about the vibration issuess til after I installed it. I don't drive my car much anymore, but so far nothing that serious, aside from my 2nd and 4th cylinder compression being WAY off compared to 1st and 3rd.

Good luck with the install!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep Brad that's what Erik and I do, we did the NWR (north west region) SCCA last year but we missed the last two because we moved down here. Good luck, if you need help with anything or advice or whatnots let us know.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dodaddy
I saw somewhere there was one model of a harmonic balanced crank pulley for the tC but I can't find it anymore! It was like $400.

Anyways, Pete's right about the vibrations, my friend blew his honda b16 motor up twice because of his, so he went back to his oem crank pulley, and no problems since then.

Currently I have the Agency Power crank pulley for my car but I didn't know about the vibration issuess til after I installed it. I don't drive my car much anymore, but so far nothing that serious, aside from my 2nd and 4th cylinder compression being WAY off compared to 1st and 3rd.

Good luck with the install!
that's really odd, at least the compression works out with the firing order in the block. i dont think it would affect the duty cycle of the crank. do the rpm's cycle at all? or is it really even noticeable?

strange as it sounds you may be getting more power out of the low compression cylinders than the higher compression ones due to being FI..lol

and as long as your not seeing any kind of smoke you should be ok. i dont like smoke, unless i have set something on fire.................or there's an explosion involved....lol
Old 02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's really odd, at least the compression works out with the firing order in the block. i dont think it would affect the duty cycle of the crank. do the rpm's cycle at all? or is it really even noticeable?

strange as it sounds you may be getting more power out of the low compression cylinders than the higher compression ones due to being FI..lol

and as long as your not seeing any kind of smoke you should be ok. i dont like smoke, unless i have set something on fire.................or there's an explosion involved....lol
It's not really noticeable, I think its becaue my original tune was so horrible that it might have caused my motor to wear out faster. I found out later that when they tuned my car they used Non-Iridium spark plugs that were all gapped different and it was just a mess.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dodaddy
It's not really noticeable, I think its becaue my original tune was so horrible that it might have caused my motor to wear out faster. I found out later that when they tuned my car they used Non-Iridium spark plugs that were all gapped different and it was just a mess.
wow, dang buddy that's rough. luckily, its usually only a set of p-rings when you have
funny compression. parts are cheap dunno about labor. your car is still fantastic though.

Quick Reply: So who is working on anything new.........