Notices
Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

So who is working on anything new.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by STEELBREEZE
Having an aoutobody shop, I know nothing about which rattle can product is better than another. However for those who want to do things such as this or use factory colors, there is a product called a "Preval" sprayer which is a aresol canister attached to a small bottle which you put the mixed paint into. So in this case, you can go to any local autobody shop (as long as they are friendly) and ask for a small amount of urethane clear and the activator and when you are ready, just mix the 2 components and put them into the Preval bottle then use it like any other rattle can. This way you can also paint things with the exact color code as your car. be careful with the clear in that you spray even medium-wet coats and allow adequate dry times between coats so it doesn't run. If it does run a little, you can wetsand and buff it as any regular car paint job. The preval unit is available at most auto paint supply, boating supply and also have seen them at Home Depot. One preval spray unit can spray around 10 miutes of constant spraying. Long enough to spray every trim panel in your car and then some. Hope this helps some.
i used to use preval at the shop i worked at and at ATS in everett to prime aluminum parts. they work pretty good... but keep in mind they are usable only for the 10 minute period and if you think you will need to spray again they "do not keep" so you will have to mix another batch and use another preval spraycan.

good call man
Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=STEELBREEZE;3793270]
Originally Posted by alienvictim
i used to use preval at the shop i worked at and at ATS in everett to prime aluminum parts. they work pretty good... but keep in mind they are usable only for the 10 minute period and if you think you will need to spray again they "do not keep" so you will have to mix another batch and use another preval spraycan.

good call man
That's pretty cool! I didn't know such a product existed. I wonder if it can be used to do an entire bumper? Then again, I know nothing beats going to an actual bodyshop/paintshop and getting it done professionally but they are quoting me $400+ to plug the front license holes, paint and clear. Not to mention Cali is on this water based paint that chips like crazy if it's dinged in the slightest. I got a new hood coming soon and I'll have to get that painted too. Too bad there's no decent priced shops in the central valley.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=Aurora;3793429]

That's pretty cool! I didn't know such a product existed. I wonder if it can be used to do an entire bumper? Then again, I know nothing beats going to an actual bodyshop/paintshop and getting it done professionally but they are quoting me $400+ to plug the front license holes, paint and clear. Not to mention Cali is on this water based paint that chips like crazy if it's dinged in the slightest. I got a new hood coming soon and I'll have to get that painted too. Too bad there's no decent priced shops in the central valley.
val-spars are really good if your not a potato head.

and actually you don't always get what you pay for at most shops. they run off of insurance claim money more than anything. so shop around or pay more money than a tuner ever should.

so really i guess it depends on skill and what you are capable of.

you finally actually make that fake photoshop hood you were blabbing on about being a one of a kind creation that defines you as an artist...blah blah blah. or did you just go buy a real one yet?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they work pretty good... but keep in mind they are usable only for the 10 minute period and if you think you will need to spray again they "do not keep" so you will have to mix another batch and use another preval spraycan.

good call man

Well, they aren't like a time bomb. If you empty the bottle and run some thinner thru it to clean the tube, you can use it till the accelerant is gone. They have no limited shelf life. Just be sure to clean it before you shelf it. It'll work just fine. Here in Florida, I charge $250.00 to spray a bumper and not much to fill the holes. No one likes waterborne paints. But clear skys are worth a little pain.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

anyone got a tC steering wheel laying around......it is the only one that will fit Yaris aparently and well I wanna upgrade to a nice leather wheel....let me know if anyone has one laying around they wanna sell off for cheap.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

got my gauges done by Dkfung88! here are a couple pics! this is the Red/white setup. red numbers and needle with white lines

Name:  IMGP0002.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  IMGP0003.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  IMGP0004.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  IMGP0007.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  118.2 KB
Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
anyone got a tC steering wheel laying around......it is the only one that will fit Yaris aparently and well I wanna upgrade to a nice leather wheel....let me know if anyone has one laying around they wanna sell off for cheap.
yep but no airbag or steering controls
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FuGativ3
got my gauges done by Dkfung88! here are a couple pics! this is the Red/white setup. red numbers and needle with white lines
lookin crazy mang
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, they aren't like a time bomb. If you empty the bottle and run some thinner thru it to clean the tube, you can use it till the accelerant is gone. They have no limited shelf life. Just be sure to clean it before you shelf it. It'll work just fine. Here in Florida, I charge $250.00 to spray a bumper and not much to fill the holes. No one likes waterborne paints. But clear skys are worth a little pain.
if you use aircraft aluminum primer they are.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yep but no airbag or steering controls
All I need is the wheel....none of the other stuff will transfer over except the CC lever at best.....let me know what ya think as I am gutting Egplant in about 5 days and may as well throw steering wheel on the list of items to start pulling and replacing...lol

Not sure if ya still got my number Pete 253 579 7196
Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I need is the wheel....none of the other stuff will transfer over except the CC lever at best.....let me know what ya think as I am gutting Egplant in about 5 days and may as well throw steering wheel on the list of items to start pulling and replacing...lol

Not sure if ya still got my number Pete 253 579 7196
sure do homey
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Sweet let me know.....I can get one cheap on Ebay but if someone local gots one laying around I would rather toss some cash their direction....or even some work....I will work for steering wheel...lol

On a good note.....I get my seat brackets from Corbeau tomorrow....so looks like I get to start install Saturday......finally.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Get my tires today, they go on tomorrow then wheels go to the pinstriper :D...got a few other things up my sleve as well, just gotta see what i can get done working 15hrs/day...yah...
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet let me know.....I can get one cheap on Ebay but if someone local gots one laying around I would rather toss some cash their direction....or even some work....I will work for steering wheel...lol

On a good note.....I get my seat brackets from Corbeau tomorrow....so looks like I get to start install Saturday......finally.
20 bucks sound peachy?

Originally Posted by Kanchi
Get my tires today, they go on tomorrow then wheels go to the pinstriper :D...got a few other things up my sleve as well, just gotta see what i can get done working 15hrs/day...yah...
and don't lie you never wear sleeves. you used to deliver in some !@33t @$$ polo shirts though if i remember....and lol thats cool man.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and those wheels are going on ur tC right? post up some pics of the final product!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cant wait to see ur car again Erik...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=alienvictim;3793545]
Originally Posted by Aurora

val-spars are really good if your not a potato head.

and actually you don't always get what you pay for at most shops. they run off of insurance claim money more than anything. so shop around or pay more money than a tuner ever should.

so really i guess it depends on skill and what you are capable of.
You know, that is true. This town I'm in is full of tuners and these shops just see them coming. If you're not completely stock or have a higher end vehicle, they charge you like crazy. And you're exactly right with the insurance claim comment...they live off that stuff!

I'll be the first to admit my skill level for painting is less than entry level but blah blah...I'll just either get a shop to do it or live with it the way it is.

@FuGativ3, those gauges look really good.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Pete it is officially sold.....guess I need to figure out how to meet up....I will drive,hopefully not all the way to Portland....is that where your living...but I can go pretty much all the way there if you need,I know gas is spendy and Egplant well....he sips lightly...lol.

I also tonight have found a bypass module for the passenger sensors in the 08+ seats.....Larry and I ended up using baling wire to get his to work as if a person was sitting in the seat for safty....well this module totally bypasses that hassle and has a toggle switch for on and off.....like the old Toyota Tacomas had on the dash to turn on off airbags....

I also guess I need to look at calender as seat brackets wil be here tomorrow.........God let them fit the car without modify....you know I deserve it....heck I have had to modify an oil cap to fit and well I am tired of having to make everything work.....lol
Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aurora

@FuGativ3, those gauges look really good.
Haha thanks broskie
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Agreed those gauges look great...I like the red white look.....very nice.

Quick Reply: So who is working on anything new.........