ID, OR, WA

WA State Patrol = LAME

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I have my front plate in the windshield, been that way for over a year now.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody know if we can do a signature campaign maybe removing the front plate law I know some states don't require it. Like I said on my xA Had it inside sticked in front of the center gauge and they still pulled me over. I need to corner a cop one of these days and ask him that question.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ilovemytc,
here's what you do, call up the courthouse every day for a week and ask for the officer that wrote you .When you find what day of the week he is not available, his day off. If during the week then call the county clerk and have your court date changed to that day of the week, tell them it's due to illness or whatever they don't care really, then show up for court..... bet the cop won't be notified of court change and even then he probably won't show up on his day off(if he's off during the week). Traffic charges will be dismissed if cop isn't there and you contest, they won't reschedule traffic court (correct me if Im wrong but this couild work)!!!
Oh and I love the "no insurance" line if it plays out that the lesser infraction is dropped by cop,
Good luck ,
Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's the front plate law:

RCW 46.16.240
Attachment of plates to vehicles — Violations enumerated.

The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times. However, if only one license number plate is legally issued for any vehicle such plate shall be conspicuously attached to the rear of such vehicle. Each vehicle license number plate shall be placed or hung in a horizontal position at a distance of not more than four feet from the ground and shall be kept clean so as to be plainly seen and read at all times. In cases where the body construction of the vehicle is such that compliance with this section is impossible, permission to deviate therefrom may be granted by the state patrol. It shall be unlawful to display upon the front or rear of any vehicle, vehicle license number plate or plates other than those furnished by the director for such vehicle or to display upon any vehicle any vehicle license number plate or plates which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any vehicle unless there shall be displayed thereon valid vehicle license number plates attached as herein provided.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by rrimportracer
maybe a little inappropriate but I was wondering have any of the ladies ever been hinted by a male cop that he would let them off if they gave him some?? I know its happened, I just wanted to know if anyone on here had experienced it.

sorry to threadjack, maybe ill start a new thread specifically about this
Old 07-24-2007, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Okay, there are at least two people on this thread (from what they posted) who can benefit from this information:

RCW 9A.76.175
Making a false or misleading statement to a public servant.

A person who knowingly makes a false or misleading material statement to a public servant is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. "Material statement" means a written or oral statement reasonably likely to be relied upon by a public servant in the discharge of his or her official powers or duties.

And SatsumaxA...that is a very OLD trick. You'd have a hard time having a decent judge to dismiss, especially if the prosecuter is present. On my first traffic court appearance, my attorney used a trick to have my case moved to a different courtroom to avoid the prosecuter. That seems to be an old trick too, as the prosecuter (a 3rd year law student who was an intern at the prosecuter's office) managed to catch wind of this and follow us, nailing me with a conviction.

Also, while I've been in court for my various traffic offenses, I've seen several off-duty officers come in to testify against other drivers. They are definitely sending a message that you will not be let go on a technicality. Those with attorneys have a decent chance of succeeding, those without....pretty much get shot down as soon as the officer hits the stand.

I may be biased because my job requires me to do some minor traffic enforcement on property as well as investigate minor crimes. I absolutely hate it when people don't cooperate with me or lie to me (if either occur, we note it in a file for the management, who has the power to evict the tenant).
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dugzillaxb
I have my front plate in the windshield, been that way for over a year now.
That's only because they saw the driver...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^HAHA
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to court for a mitigation: admitting I committed the crime but to explain to the judge the circumstances. I doubt the officer is required to be present.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you have a good record they'll just lower the fine. if you admit to the crime they wont care about your explanation
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I’ve been driving up and down I5 with out a front plate for about 2yrs (hitting a buck 20 every once in a while) no problems what so ever *knock on wood*.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If a front license plate is required then it must be mounted on the front of the vehicle, either on the bumper or the grill. Displaying it through the windshield is illegal, although most cops don’t care unless they are looking for a reason to pull you over.

If you’re going to put it on the dash, make sure that it is securely fastened. If you get into a major wreck, you might as well have just left a dull knife on your dash.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by dencio83
Anybody know if we can do a signature campaign maybe removing the front plate law I know some states don't require it. Like I said on my xA Had it inside sticked in front of the center gauge and they still pulled me over. I need to corner a cop one of these days and ask him that question.
There isn't really a "signature" campaign that can change this but other legislative avenues that the public has:

1) Lobby your State Legislators. If everyone were to call in and ask for this there may be a chance a sympathetic public official might do the bulk of the work and try to pass this through the next Legislative session. Chances are...since we're not lobbyists that they won't want to waste their time on something so trivial.

2) Write an Initiative to the Legislature. This one requires gathering a certain number of signatures and forcing an issue on the Legislative calendar. Then if the Legislators pass on giving it a yeah or nay it goes to a vote of the people. But there is opportunity here for the State House to shot it down if they want just by voting against it.

3) Write and Initiative to the People. This one requires about 3 times the number of signatures as the one to the Legislature but here is where you might find a sympathetic ear in getting people to vote your way. Think of all of the people out there wishing they didn't have a front plate (or the cost of one included in their registration fees). Yet again...the people may be against such an idea but heck...this process is true freedom of the people, by the people.