Wow... What a Great Car Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Default Wow... What a Great Car Dealership

Oh my gosh, can you believe what these people did? Has anybody been to this dealership and know these people?

Wow... bet there's a little drop in sales there for a while. What jerks! So many people in on it!

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/5266251.html

SEATTLE - In bizarre series of events that have led to multiple arrests, Seattle police say a group of employees at a car dealership in West Seattle stole more than $100,000 from a disabled man.

Seattle police spokesman Sean Whitcomb said the bizarre series of events began when the victim, a 60-year-old man with a diminished mental capacity, went to the Huling Brothers dealership in late July. The man was covered in his own urine and feces and asked a salesman about buying a truck.

"I think that anyone would look at that individual and at least pause - and think if this person needed some help or even inquire if they needed some help," said Seattle police detective Caryn Lee.

Despite the man's appearance, the salesman gave the man a ride home where he said he had enough cash to buy the truck. The man came back out with a sack full of $30,000 in cash and told the salesman that he had more than $70,000 still in his house.

The salesman sold the truck to the man at the maximum price along with an expensive warranty, and then bragged to his co-workers about the man's claim of having a hoard of cash in his house, Whitcomb said.

The next day the man returned to the dealership and said his truck had been stolen. The car had actually been towed and, Whitcomb said, this is when a group of employees at the dealership decided to steal the victim's remaining cash.

While one salesman drove the victim to pick up his truck, the dealership's sales manager, Adrian Dillard, and five other employees drove in three groups to the victim's home, police said.

Dillard and Theodore Coxwell beat the others to the man's house. The two allegedly broke in and stole $70,000. Whitcomb said that they told the other group of employees, who arrived at the house later, that they didn't find any money.

Two days later, bank records show Dillard went to a bank with $20,000 in $100 bills, bought cashier's checks, and paid off his own credit cards and other debts.

On July 27th, the victim's truck was again towed and the man called police to report it stolen, along with his missing $70,000. When a Seattle police officer arrived, he found the man living in filth and had him taken to Harborview Medical Center.

Despite already taking the man's money, Whitcomb said that the man was again victimized by an employee at the dealership.

While he was at the hospital, the man called the dealership to express his concern that his truck would be auctioned by the towing company. The employee he spoke with, Paul Rimbey, convinced the man to sign over the truck to him and had him sign a bill of sale. He bought the $30,000 truck back for just $1,200, then kept it and drove it as his own. Rimbey allegedly even went so far as to have a notary public at the dealership help fraudulently notarize the needed sales documents.

Seattle Police Detective Caryn Lee investigates cases involving exploitation of vulnerable adults and said she was surprised by the complexity of the scheme. "This was pretty in depth," she said.

Dillard and Coxwell, who allegedly stole the $70,000, were arrested and charged with burglary, theft and conspiracy. Rimbey was charged with theft. Investigators said that 11 people at the dealership were involved in the various crimes.

Whitcomb said that the car dealership has been cooperating with investigators and repaid the victim the $30,000 he paid for the truck. The man is currently being treated at Western State Hospital.

The Huling Brothers dealership sold to the Gee Automotive Group earlier this month. Its new president, Cline Davis, said the group made the purchase without any knowledge of the theft and fraud that took place last July.

Davis said Friday that the store will have an entirely new sales staff, and said the group was unaware of the pending legal action against the former employees.

"It's sad what happened. It's atrocious what happened," he said. "And those guys I hope they rot in jail. But that has nothing to do with the employees that are here."

As for the Huling name, the new owners say the name will be stripped off the signs, off the cars and off the company uniforms as soon as possible.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That really sickens me. What a bunch of low lives. I hope this makes national news.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yuck. what jerks. glad we have Steve here!!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

yah.. read that b4 leaving work... that was not cool....
Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

omg, that is disgusting, why would they do that to the poor guy, a$$holes
Old 01-19-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disgusting.....I read it out loud to my boyfriend, and he finds that to be bull (what they did to the man). We are both pretty ____ed that someone would do that. People have no respect nowadays.

~Stephanie
Old 01-19-2007, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

That's just sick!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I like to be optimistic about the good in human nature but when I hear stuff like this its hard to keep from becoming cynical. I hope that the dealership realizes that these 11 employees no longer should be employed there (even though I half believe double that number were probably aware of it). JUST SICK!!!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always knew car salesmen were crooks(present company excluded), now we have it in writing, get a rope.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

I was just thinking how awful it must be to be a child of one of these 11 people, especially if they were named in the article. Could you imagine being 12 and having every adult know what your dad/mother did? What they did to that man is horrific but what they did to their children is unimaginable.

If Larth (Cory) had done such a thing... I would move my boys out of the state as to spare them from such humiliation and even possibly knowing what their dad did.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We need at least eleven lengths of good, strong, new rope...

Tom
Old 01-19-2007, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member

I had a car salesman tell me that his job was just as difficult as mine... I'm in the Army and was in Afghanistan at the time. Slightly different job descriptions...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Something similar happened in this area. I believe that an elderly man bought a car took it in for service the dealership convinced him to trade it in giving him very low trade value, to purchace a new vehicle at top price plus warranty, then repeated this process until the man was broke ( took a couple years) after which his family found out.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

there is a special place in hell for people like that, I hope they all do time.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Working at a dealership Ive seen some shady things go down that were legal but this takes the cake. I cant believe so many people would be involved in this and not one of them stopped to realize how wrong what they were doing was. Totally insano!
Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattross
Something similar happened in this area. I believe that an elderly man bought a car took it in for service the dealership convinced him to trade it in giving him very low trade value, to purchace a new vehicle at top price plus warranty, then repeated this process until the man was broke ( took a couple years) after which his family found out.
I was trying to remember how that went, but I do remember that happening, not sure which dealership it was.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember this one: Huling Brothers, Seattle.

Tom
Old 01-20-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

^ Not that I would buy a GM product anyways but there is one less place I would do it from!

As said earlier...what miserable disgusting people.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmmmmm... Expect to see a name change for the dealerships in the near future:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...17_cars04.html

(Here's their web page: http://www.hulingbros.com/en_US/.)

Tom
Old 01-20-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Betcha they got a pretty good deal considering the recent press!

Quick Reply: Wow... What a Great Car Dealership