Regional - Pacific Northwest
ID, OR, WA

You won't believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:26 AM
SL Member

Cool You won't believe it!

Well it happened like this...

I was driving to work this week on Maple Valley Hwy (50 mph limit), when I was pulled over by a cop.

He asked for my information and then asked if I knew how fast I was going. The right answer is "I have no idea", the real answer, as he noted was 75mph. He also said I was tailgating. I told him "really? Are you sure? I didn't realize it." He replied, "I saw you tailgating so close that three cars got out of your way!" My reply was "I tailgated all three?" He said "Yes, and with the excessive speed, that adds wreckless driving to the deal. You're looking at some hefty fines here!" I replied "Oh God no, I must have been just concentrating on getting to work, because I'm a retired disabled veteran." He said "Really? What branch?" I told him Air Force and he began to tell me he was also a partially disabled vet in the Army.

I began to wonder why he was spending so much time with me and not back in his car running my plates and license while whipping out several tickets and a tow truck.

This is when he shocked me, no, not with a taser. He asked me if I had any tickets on my license and I told him I hadn't had one since before the military, because if you get caught speeding on or off base you would have your base driving priviledges taken away for a year. He said "I know what you mean." He then paused and said "...how about we make this stop a learning lesson. Here's your paperwork. Drive safely." He then walked back to his vehicle and left.

I was still sitting there with my window down, in the dark, with a blank stare on my face, looking into the darkness as if I had just seen a ghost and dare not look away. This couldn't be true! I had just beat the odds of a white, middle-aged man, getting out of what could have been a blow to my bank account for the next three years.

Yes, this is a true story.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for serving but don't count on that working every time! I'm a veteran myself and currently still serve and there are still idiots in the military just like outside, however there is a certain level of idiot that just doesn't make the cut lol.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good for you. i got pull over yesterday for almost the same thing. 44 in 25mph. The cop also accused me of tailgating too. But i was 4 car length behind the other car.
He let me go with a warning and ticket for tinted window.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:41 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
Thanks for serving but don't count on that working every time! I'm a veteran myself and currently still serve and there are still idiots in the military just like outside, however there is a certain level of idiot that just doesn't make the cut lol.
Have you ever zoned out and wondered how you got there? It was one of those days, because I truly hate tailgaters. That's why I couldn't believe I was tailgating.

A shout back to you for serving as well. Well done.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll have to tell my husband to just drop that he's a disabled vet next time he gets pulled over.

The last two months I've gotten out of not one but TWO truly deserved tickets. First one I was doing 70 in a 60, didn't have my insurance card, license, AND my registration was expired and he let me go. Last one was two(ish) days ago I decided to pass a group of cars doing 25 on the I-5 onramp on the right, the lane ended and I continued into the shoulder. Guy in front that I was passing? undercover cop. and Somehow, someway I didn't get a ticket I know passing on the shoulder and speeding are bad, I was just having idiot days.

Congrats on getting out of your ticket!
Old 01-23-2010, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW LUCKY YOU!!!!! better start "Paying it Forward" or Karma will bite back
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by sdsnybny
WOW LUCKY YOU!!!!! better start "Paying it Forward" or Karma will bite back
Already paid forward, twice. I loaded custom batteries into 18 warning beacons to save one of the new guys from getting his *&& chewed for not doing it himself, because he forgot.

The second was coming in off vacation to cover the shop because the other two were out sick.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah cops are sometimes pretty cool with letting you off the hook if your in the military or work in the criminal justice field, I've been let go with 3 warnings just because I work for the county.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You were lucky on that one, Scott! Might not work twice, though.

Couple weeks ago I was stopped in Lakewood by a young Lakewood cop for not backing off and letting him into my lane when his lane ended (yeah, it's marked that the lane he was in ends, and he was next to me, not ahead).

He was being just a bit "tough guy" and pushy, insisting on my license, registration, and proof of insurance and berating me for "not yielding" and letting him into my lane when his ended.

As I was rummaging for all that he asked, almost as an afterthought, if I had any weapons in the car, and I said "Yes, two loaded pistols."

(You have to remember just how legitimately nervous the police are right now, especially Lakewood, after four of them were just gunned down a couple miles away.)

His eyes got big, he stepped back, and put his hand on his weapon as I handed him my concealed firearms license, my driver's license, my registration, and continued to rummage for my insurance card. Once he saw my carry license on the top of the stack, he dropped the whole thing, didn't even want to see the insurance, handed back my IDs and such and wished me a good night.

I think he scared himself...

Last edited by Tomas; 01-24-2010 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

here's a good one for getting off with just a warning....

Many, many moons ago when I was young.. (19) Somehow by the grace of God and a nice local cop (small town)... I got off with just a warning (while being 19), and doing 92 in a 50 in my Dad's Porsche :D
How's that one?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

DANG Scott..

I guess I can't complain that cops only let sexy women off the hook... you must of shown him a LOT of leg..
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, sometimes we can have a nice side to us. I really hate writing tickets. I usually try to give warning but if the person I stop is a jerk or has a attitude then I will write them.

Last edited by JDZNate; 01-23-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to find a way to schedule a ride along soon. I wanted to be a police officer ever since I was a little girl (grandpa was) and I gave up on it when I was 21 because I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that or something else and I found myself in a decent place. But I've been batting the idea around again lately but I really want to get a ride along so I can pick a cops brain before I put too much thought in to it.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a long time ago, i used to drive delivery trucks in kirkland.

well i headed to work like always from my old place in marysville. well i get there
and realized i left my old keyring with all of the truck keys lock keys and such on it at home in marysville.

i had a half an hour to get from kirkland to marysville and back in an hour. and
since my boss was !@#$ i knew even though i hadn't been late ever i was
going to get a rash of !@#$ and possibly be canned.

so i got in my 300zx. busted out on the freeway up 405 doing 130. slowed
down because i got an insanely crazy feeling and slowed down around the
last corner before the on-ramp to 1-5.

there was a state patrolman there.

the policeman asked me what i could possibly be going that fast for (if he only knew how fast....)
i told him forgot keys needed to get them or i would be fired.

im not going to say how fast he got me at because im not really proud of it but back
then wreckless wasn't like it is today and forgive me i was young.

the grand total for that ticket was $1037.00 (plus no insurance....)
growing up for some is a rough process......
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

I remember a certain M&G and after leaving dinner getting pulled over for speeding. If I did not have such a talent for playing dumb (or the people I was with pull over as well to help collaborate my story), I have a feeling it would have been painful....
Old 01-23-2010, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kanchi
I remember a certain M&G and after leaving dinner getting pulled over for speeding. If I did not have such a talent for playing dumb (or the people I was with pull over as well to help collaborate my story), I have a feeling it would have been painful....
i was so freaked out when that happened....lol
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wow what a great story - you got lucky on that one that's for sure