Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

California DMV Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default California DMV Registration Question

Hi Folks.

Today I rec'd a letter from the California Department of Motor Vehicles saying my car registration has been suspended due to not having insurance on the car (Xb).
Of course I do!!!! But I notice the letter from the DMV says my car is a 2006 Toyota - the VIN number is correct, but my auto insurance policy calls my car a SCION. Can I ask you - does your DMV registration say Toyota or SCION for the make?

I am thinking the DMV registration is wrong, which would mean my dealership filled out their paperwork wrong, right?

I hate paper work - that's why I bought the Xb new, to avoid DMV hassles, but I guess it didn't work this time...
Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

what insurance company do you have?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have Allstate, they do both my house and car. I am thinking the problem is the disrepancy - is the Xb a Toyota or a SCION? I am thinking it is a SCION, but since the dealership submitted the information to the DMV, I find it hard to beleive they made a mistake.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call your insurance company. Everything now is electronically submitted started with the insurance company.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: California DMV Registration Question

Originally Posted by NuBiker
Hi Folks.

Today I rec'd a letter from the California Department of Motor Vehicles saying my car registration has been suspended due to not having insurance on the car (Xb).
Of course I do!!!! But I notice the letter from the DMV says my car is a 2006 Toyota - the VIN number is correct, but my auto insurance policy calls my car a SCION. Can I ask you - does your DMV registration say Toyota or SCION for the make?

I am thinking the DMV registration is wrong, which would mean my dealership filled out their paperwork wrong, right?

I hate paper work - that's why I bought the Xb new, to avoid DMV hassles, but I guess it didn't work this time...
YO! actually it will say TOYOTA. so the dealer didn't drop the ball. it's just listed as a Toyota, but on your insurance identification cards it will show it listed as a Scion. -- I just received a ticket from a CHP officer on 01.21.07 and the ticket shows the car as a Toyota xB. So you're all good there. -- Now, the letter you received is most likely because insurance companies send out notices to the DMV whenever they send out a notice of cancellation to you. So just contact your provider and have them clear it up. If you have Mercury Insurance, they'll have you contact your agent where your policy was written to fax the DMV proof of insurance. Good luck!

PEACE.
- jT
Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

well in my insurance company Scion is its own entity. DMV reads Scion as a Toyota. Like Geo to Chevrolet. Majority of insurance providers / carriers have the capability of doing electronic filings with the DMV. Examples All State, Mercury, 21st, etc. What has happend to you is simply a glitch in their system and your insurance carrier should be sending you something in the mail reall soon. trust me. We have about 340,000+ right now to issue our to our insureds.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thank you, I will give fax my agent a copy of the letter and ask him to fix it. It's funny, I visited the agent in person to add the car to my policy and take the old car off. I rec'd confirmation from Allstate that the change had been made.
So I guess, for whatever reason, Allstate did not notify the DMV.
Thanks again!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by SUPREMEbB
Hi Folks.

YO! actually it will say TOYOTA. so the dealer didn't drop the ball. it's just listed as a Toyota, but on your insurance identification cards it will show it listed as a Scion. -- I just received a ticket from a CHP officer on 01.21.07 and the ticket shows the car as a Toyota xB. So you're all good there. -- Now, the letter you received is most likely because insurance companies send out notices to the DMV whenever they send out a notice of cancellation to you. So just contact your provider and have them clear it up. If you have Mercury Insurance, they'll have you contact your agent where your policy was written to fax the DMV proof of insurance. Good luck!

PEACE.
- jT

thanks customer service rep #1 stunna! Im gonna give Tim a buzz right now to give you a promotion.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Or go to the DMV and show them your proof of insurance. But yeah mine says TOTY (Toyota) too.

Someone probably just typed in something wrong at the DMV.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by lil_LEX_24O
Or go to the DMV and show them your proof of insurance. But yeah mine says TOTY (Toyota) too.

Someone probably just typed in something wrong at the DMV.
if you have time to waste, go for it, but there is no reason for it. All it is, is a fool messed up in Sac town. your insurance agent / broker will fix the issue.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Folks.

This was on the news last night that the DMV accidently sent out these notices to a bunch of people. Call the DMV and see if you were one of the peeps who received this.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ YO. that had to do with VIN# mistake not the PROOF OF INS. most likely somebody at Allstate either neglected to send in the renewal information to the DMV or possibly your policy was scheduled to cancel, so they notified the DMV and hadn't heard otherwise. -- Seriously, you pay an agent to handle your policy, make them do the work! =0)
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

^^ YO. that had to do with VIN# mistake not the PROOF OF INS. most likely somebody at Allstate either neglected to send in the renewal information to the DMV or possibly your policy was scheduled to cancel, so they notified the DMV and hadn't heard otherwise. -- Seriously, you pay an agent to handle your policy, make them do the work! =0)
please listen to this message only. We work for an insurance broker, not Allstate, but similar. JT is a customer relations here for the company and he's handled about hundreds of these calls today.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Hi Folks.

This was on the news last night that the DMV accidently sent out these notices to a bunch of people. Call the DMV and see if you were one of the peeps who received this.
YO! actually what you're talking about that was on the news was because "somebody" working for the DMV made a huge mistake right before the New Year and sent out notices to thousands of unhappy California automobile drivers stating that there VIN# on file was incorrect. They have been working extremely hard to correct the mistake, although the workload on the insurance carriers end is a different story. People who received this letter, you defnitely should contact your insurance provider to make sure your VIN# on file is still correct **IF YOU RECEIVED THE LETTER** but besides that, everythings good at the DMV (as far as I know)

PEACE.
- jT
Old 01-26-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Hi Folks.

YO! actually what you're talking about that was on the news was because "somebody" working for the DMV made a huge mistake right before the New Year and sent out notices to thousands of unhappy California automobile drivers stating that there VIN# on file was incorrect. They have been working extremely hard to correct the mistake, although the workload on the insurance carriers end is a different story. People who received this letter, you defnitely should contact your insurance provider to make sure your VIN# on file is still correct **IF YOU RECEIVED THE LETTER** but besides that, everythings good at the DMV (as far as I know)

PEACE.
- jT
Oh ok. thx for clearing it up.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very much welcome. Any more insurance questions? LoL.
- jT
Old 01-26-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member