Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

CSUF students

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CSUF students

Hey I'm looking to go to CSUF in the Fall but I was just wanting to know how people actually felt for the school. I'm going in to business management and wanted to know what I'll be up against lol. Do the teachers actually teach you most of the time or is it TAs for the most part? I'm guessing class size is huge in the business department.

But yea, any good information would help me decide I can either go to CSUF or Cal Poly Pomona, but don't know much about Pomona either.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

CSUF is the business school. i go to csuf and my major was business until i saw all that math so i called it quits and went into criminal justice. CSUF is one of the top business schools in CA so i think you'll be in a really good spot
Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ehhh...there's a lot of math involved in business degrees? I want to go for business administration/entrepreneurship, but I absolutely suck at math. This is kinda discouraging...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

Cal Poly Pomona

Like unit_xero said, CSUF has one of the top business schools in the country.

From what I understand (I'm not a business major), certain classes are difficult to get into...but you'll run into that wherever you go.

I have been attending CSUF for the past 3 years, and it has been an enjoyable experience so far.

One thing you should know coming into it, however, is that as a result of recent California legislature CSUF (being the largest out of all of the Cal States) just lost $15 million in funding. The impact of these losses have not yet been determined, but we might have increased class sizes as a result of not being able to hire enough teachers. Tuition might also go up again, amongst some other problems. Despite the dreary outlook, I'm still not that worried.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sac State has one of the best business schools in CA too, I like it, the math isn't really difficult so much as it is repetitive that what i am doing, you use it more for balance sheets, and GDP calculations, and so forth...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The math required for business isn't that tough At least from friends I know who are taking business math right now. Actually criminal justice would be fun to do to.. damnit. Thanks for giving me another idea on what I should major in

With the budget cut I am worried since it is expensive already =\ Classes I figure they might be hard to get in to, just like a JC, some classes fill up really fast. Really want to do business since it would help with my own business and basically you're guaranteed a job right out of school.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you'll need business calculus and you're going to do two classes of stats. accounting and finance easy calculator work. so you don't have much to worry about. professors don't really give hw and u can take calculus at a JC
Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

haha criminal justice to me is the easy way out. since i'm not really taking school so serious. if your in business they go after you, therefore made me wanna get out since i did really bad my first year.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is good. I'm really horrible at math based classes, but now it doesn't sound as bad as I was fearing.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

its not that bad. i could have done better in math115 which is college algebra but i never showed up in class and my professor really sucked. best thing you should always do is go to rate my professor to see how your professor is
Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea but what about the class sizes? I'm used to maybe 40 people in my class normally. Whats the typical class size for any business class?
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

might be smaller.. 23-35 students per class but someone can correct me. plus if your going for business you have the new business building!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

classes range, some of them are 20 some are 80. most are about 35-40.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

One of my professors told me that Business Calc (Math 135) is the most failed class at CSUF.

i'm a business major as well. I have yet to experience a class where a TA does a majority of the teaching.

What made my decision was the fact that CSUF is on the semester system. 16 weeks of school. 5 weeks off in the winter. I can't handle 10 weeks of learning.

CPP focuses in on science and engineering. And... it's on the quarter system.

Chels, what city you live in?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

go to the school with the best parking if ur commuting LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by FMtChia
go to the school with the best parking if ur commuting LOL
unless you go super early like me! you can always find my car at the same spot in nutwood parking structure third floor, third row, third car. but thats cause i'm at school at 7:30AM MWF haha. and if anyone wants parking after 12 let me know. i'll be your buddy and give you my spot q=D
Old 02-28-2008, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

333....are you making it easy on yourself so you don't lose your car?

When I used to commute I had a 7AM class, and I would always park in exactly the same spot next to the elevators on the second floor of the State College parking structure.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

yes q=] its more easier for me cause i come off the 57N at nutwood and turn right into the structure and drive up and there it is.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmm i planned on going to CSUF but i do not wanna take speech class at my jc lol so i was like forget it... i was a business admin/management major but then i got really interested in hotel management so ill be going to UNLV for hotel management in spring sem.. i forgot to apply for fall sem LOL oh and u should go to CSUP if u wanna do hotel mangement but i wouldnt because like i said i hate speech class.. lol MATH TOO! JC professors suck cheese puff's at teaching math...
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lilfunnijohn
mmm i planned on going to CSUF but i do not wanna take speech class at my jc lol so i was like forget it... i was a business admin/management major but then i got really interested in hotel management so ill be going to UNLV for hotel management in spring sem.. i forgot to apply for fall sem LOL oh and u should go to CSUP if u wanna do hotel mangement but i wouldnt because like i said i hate speech class.. lol MATH TOO! JC professors suck cheese puff's at teaching math...
iono about ur experience, but my math professors let us use the book+notes haha

Quick Reply: CSUF students