Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

good places to work for a college student.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default good places to work for a college student.

soo um basically im 19 turning 20 in 2 weeks... and i bummed off my dad and my step mom for the past 19 years of my life and i feel the need of getting a job that gives me 20-30 hours a week. I live in Cerritos and i was wondering anyone who lives around here know any good place thats hiring? seriously i tried looking and i couldnt find any.. if u work around here and your companys hiring let me know please! office jobs / hotel / warehouse / package receiving etc... ill travel 10 miles from 90703 zipcode.. please dont laugh ill go emo
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well...if you looked all over and couldnt find a job...you probably didnt look very hard, look in the right places, or even look at all...

back on topic..... find the phone numbers of all golf clubs around you.... call everyone of them and ask if they have a "caddie" program.... if they say yes ask for more information....

"caddie"- hauls either 1 or 2 golf bags around for 18 holes

$$$ I was making about $1200 a week cash if you work reallllly hard Good Luck its really easy..
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Bestbuy.

Apply online.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned
SL Member

McDonalds son!!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

work at a bank.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

any government based job...i.e city, state, county, postal, ....etc.

i currently work for the city of orange in the transit division in purchasing (OCTA...lol yes the bus's)and couldnt be any happier! i get paid very well, have benifits (medical, vision,and dental), have weekends off, get every holiday off, and if i choose to work any holiday i get paid double O.T., have great vacation bids, nice BONUS'S, have my own desk, my own computer(lol thats how im on sl everyday)....and the biggest plus...is that if you choose to go to college, the government pays for ALL of your tuition and books...they even paid for half of my laptop! they have so many programs its unbelievable....i go in early and leave no later than 230....dude its the best....and im only 20...beats working at any McD's or bestbuy

try www.oc.ca.gov under the government tab(youll see that theres a bunch of "BIG" jobs like senior production blah blah analyst or whatever but dont get discouraged...just weed those out. i was discouraged at first and thought that i would never get a job on there but look at me now...im glad i applied)

or agency.governmentjobs.com/oc
Old 02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
SL Member

not trying to thread jack, but im kinda in this same postion looking for full time or part time job...if anyone knows anyplace hiring around the 626 area please PM me and let me know asap!! once again not meaning to thread jack...
Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by OG_XB
not trying to thread jack, but im kinda in this same postion looking for full time or part time job...if anyone knows anyplace hiring around the 626 area please PM me and let me know asap!! once again not meaning to thread jack...
http://hr.co.la.ca.us/
Old 02-27-2008, 06:05 PM
s2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Akrylic09

i currently work for the city of orange in the transit division in purchasing (OCTA...lol yes the bus's)and couldnt be any happier! i get paid very well, have benifits (medical, vision,and dental), have weekends off, get every holiday off, and if i choose to work any holiday i get paid double O.T., have great vacation bids, nice BONUS'S, have my own desk, my own computer(lol thats how im on sl everyday)....and the biggest plus...is that if you choose to go to college, the government pays for ALL of your tuition and books...they even paid for half of my laptop! they have so many programs its unbelievable....i go in early and leave no later than 230....dude its the best....and im only 20...beats working at any McD's or bestbuy

try www.oc.ca.gov under the government tab(youll see that theres a bunch of "BIG" jobs like senior production blah blah analyst or whatever but dont get discouraged...just weed those out. i was discouraged at first and thought that i would never get a job on there but look at me now...im glad i applied)

Agreed. Work for the Government. I work for NIST in MD and I dont really do anything. I too got my own desk and computer, which I use to do HW or go on SL.

Pay is great too, especially getting paid on Federal Holidays

Oh yeah, and it looks good on your resume.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by OG_XB
http://hr.co.la.ca.us/
thanks!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha i tried the oc.gov thing but everything that is open has requirements of few years of this and that. which i have none of lol
Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 PM
SL Member

same here for the la one! i feel yea lilfunnijohn!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was just gonna post up and pretty much say what he has said..........He's not kidding trust me. i am a former UCI employee and current goverment employee. Follow his lead or start looking on local university websites.

c yas
Old 02-27-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by lilfunnijohn
hahaha i tried the oc.gov thing but everything that is open has requirements of few years of this and that. which i have none of lol
notice how i said

"youll see that theres a bunch of "BIG" jobs like senior production blah blah analyst or whatever but dont get discouraged...just weed those out. i was discouraged at first and thought that i would never get a job on there but look at me now...im glad i applied"

....yea

-Ivan
Old 02-27-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahhaa damn ok. ill try looking harder .. on the website after i come home from class..
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by lilfunnijohn
notice how i said

"youll see that theres a bunch of "BIG" jobs like senior production blah blah analyst or whatever but dont get discouraged...just weed those out. i was discouraged at first and thought that i would never get a job on there but look at me now...im glad i applied"

....yea

i got discourged! lol imma try to look again into detail...so r u saying apply anyways? or just keep on looking for a entry level position?

-Ivan
Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are talking about a place to work while in college-get a job on campus-it's close and they usually work around schedules pretty well.

I did work study and regular campus jobs, everything from dish-dog (actually one of the better jobs I had-easy, and doesn't take brain power away from studies-plus it was the cafeteria on the girls dorm so I met a lot of girls) to working in the campus museum (got to do homework while sitting there) to doing fruit gathering data for a professor tracking the cost and quailty of fruit based on the season (that was a cake job and paid pretty well plus set my own schedule), worked in bicycle shops, dick worker at a department store (also a good job), pizza places, bouncer (a really good way to meet girls and there are some cool kickbacks-I think you can work there if yoy are under 21 too-depends-you just can't serve alcohol))

Get something applicable to your major and you have foot in the door posssibily when you graduate.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would also say work on campus, they will only give you so many hours to work according to the classes and the studying time that you should be doing. Or go to the career center of your school and see what jobs they have posted. It works for me like 90% of the time

Right now for retail its sort of the dead time but closer to summer they will be hiring for spots To get in BestBuy you basically have to know someone in there to even get looked at, I know trust me lol.

Try craigslist. Seriously. Thats how I got my current job
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

work at the bank, some will even pay for ur college textbooks. you can also try looking for a afterschool tutoring thing, it pays like $11-15/hr
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 AM

the bank is a good idea. i worked part time as a teller while in college knowing that i'm already employed by a great company. it was easy to make the transition from retail banking to investment banking. that was over ten years ago and now i'm an officer at a top five brokerage firm.

if that's what you want to do...

Quick Reply: good places to work for a college student.