Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

Got speeding ticket in OC need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got speeding ticket in OC need advice

Hey guys, I recently got a speeding ticket for 57 in a 45. Not sure how many of you are around the OC area but I was travelling down brookhurst (near heil next to mile square park) which is a fairly busy street around 12 pm today (Tuesday) and a motorcycle cops pulls me over saying that he caught me at 60.
I made sure I didn't go 5 miles over the speed limit which is 45. He showed me his radar and it said 57. I have been going 40 mph in 4th gear and was switching lane so when I hit 3k rpm I shift to 5th.
I'm dead certain that I did not go anywhere 57 or 60 with a bunch of cars around me. There was a newer stock corolla that was going at least 5 mph coming from behind me and passing me that did not get pulled over.

I have gotten speeding tickets before and those times I knew I was at fault and I paid them. But this one really bugs me.

Do u guys think I can fight this ticket? The only thing I could think of is when I was shifting lanes that I could have hit 50.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds too hard to fight....

but it doesn't hurt to try.

since its a motorcycle cop...he will definitely show up in court, so no luck there
then as far as taking it to trial...its hard to go against the cop's word + his radar detector..accurate or not

but if u fight it (trial)...the worst thing that will happen is a reduced fine + court fees (which should be somewhat less than just paying the fine) and you probably wont get the point counted on ur records
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks kidjustin for the reply. The part about him showing up because he is a motorcycle cop is a good point. If I went to court do know know the odds of the judge giving me a reduce sentence? Also I thought that if I fought it then I wouldn't be able to take traffic school to get the point off
Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hm...let me try to remember how the court system goes...
from what i remember...

if u take it all the way to court and go against the arresting officer...u will not have the point court against u and as far as the fine...if u win its refunded to u (usually u have to pay it on the first court appearance..without the officer) if u lose its reduced and u also have to pay court fees

so reduction seems good with either outcome

also...keep in mind IF the cop shows up...but forgets or for some reason doesnt have any notes...he can say that he doesnt recall and ur case will be as if he didnt show up (refunded money + no point). but the chances of that are not very common
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet the 57 reading was from the corolla that passed you up. Radar Detector is your best friend. Mine has saved me so many times, even when not speeding. Make the investment and next time you will be the most angelic driver on the road.

I liked how honest your post was and I have a feeling that the cop made an inaccurate trap calibration or somethin... good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
I bet the 57 reading was from the corolla that passed you up.
thats a good point. not sure how u can prove it. but make sure u mention something about that when u talk to the judge when u are up with the arresting officer
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the funny thing is ive gotten three tickects from a motorcycle cop and each time they did not show up your best bet is to fight it and pray the cop doesnt show up and if he does just ask for traffic school or try to win the argument.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I will try to fight this ticket and it's probably about time to invest in a radar detector too.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah if you win use the money you get back to buy a valentine one
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I'm too lazy to read what everyone replied, so if someone else put this already, take this as more proof. At the very least show up to court when it says to. I've done that for all my tickets and every time I've gotten the fine reduced, sometimes gotten into traffic school even though I wasn't quite elegible. I don't know if I'd actually fight it but deffinately go in and see the judge. If you can, wear a long sleeve button-up and some khakis.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE* I went to court today just to ask for traffic school. Ended up having my case dismissed by a pretty chill judge. Thanks for all the response
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow are you serious? Lucky!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah the judge said dismissed andsomething about being under the 7mph limit. I couldnt believe my ears and asked him to repeat it but, he moved on to the next person. So I didnt push it. lol