Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

Must Read! Dealer Caught Red Handed THRASHING MY CAR!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you should find out what car the porter drives and make yourself feel happy....

bad story...sorry to hear.

i agree that this is not a dealer related story, but a service story...(granted the service was at a dealer...)
but the only thing this has to do with a tC is it was your car...could have been any car...

moved to regional, leaving a shadow.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

best story ever..and yeah that sux.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's F-ing nuts.. i usually jot down the mileage quickly before dropping my car off. unless its something they need to drive the car to figure out the problem, then they have no business driving it. i'd just love to catch some idiot thrashing my car.. i'd probably be going straight to the BBB, the local news stations, you name it! wreck 'em.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member

So what Happened? Any action as of yet?
Old 12-02-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

damn dude..i hate leavin my car in someone elses hands
Old 12-02-2005, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is extremely sad. i would be ____ed as well. if it makes you feel better, there is pretty much no way your car would have gotten to 9000 rpm. the rev limiter won't let you, as far as i understand. it will just bounce at the rev limit. i think anyways. anywho, as the first (i think) dealership to respond to this thread, let me say i am sorry that happened. not trying to, in any way, make what happened any less then what it was. good luck with all that.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh I left my tC at the dealer for a day it came back with a golf ball sized dent, I will never take my car to the dealer unless i really really have to even at that I will sit in a lawn chair and watch them the whole time...
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...there is pretty much no way your car would have gotten to 9000 rpm.
Except in this case it appears the car was already at high RPM and the lot boy driving missed an upshift and stuffed it into a lower gear and let the clutch out. The rev limiter can't do a thing about something like that, and the engine RPMs shoot right through the roof... At least that's what I read in the original description.

(The reason I suggested waiting until after he has the signed letter from the service manager before meeting with the general manager/owner, was to make sure that he doesn't lose the opportunity to get that signed document by having the GM or owner overrule the SM doing that...)

Do let us know how this goes...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one and only time I took my car to the dealer (to get one of my free oil changes) I drove it into the service garage, stood and watched the oil change being done, and watched the car being moved back out of the service bay and into a parking spot. I'll do the same if I ever bring it to the dealer again. If it's a major enough maintenance to require leaving the car for a while, I'll take it to the private mechanic I've been using for years, because I know I can trust him. I don't trust the guys at the dealership as far as I can throw the whole damn building.

If I ever need a warranty repair, I'm going to have a hell of a dilemma on my hands...

Please do keep us posted on what happens. We're all pulling for you.

--mark
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow that just ____es me off reading it. Take that chevy aveo and drive right up his a$$.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lucky for him this was not the old west, he would of had a bullet in his head. In the old days you mess with a man's horse (ride) you die! Sorry to here that. I would of biotch slapped the shiot head.

John
Old 12-02-2005, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

man what a load, ope they fix anything they may have damaged, i am really starting to hate dealers, since i have had a few bad experience myself
Old 12-02-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I used to work at a Toyota dealership, and there was a porter there that would do the same thing. He would rod on all of the sales dept's used cars, and yes even cars that came into service.One time I realized MY keys were missing from my desk, and found out that he had taken my All-Trac Turbo Celica for a little "spin".

So unfortunately I imagine that incidents like yours are not too uncommon.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scionetics
SL Member

Im with that other person, if it were me I would be fighting for a new ride otherwise they would have enough bad press that they'll lose more than it would cost to give me a new car and take this one their employee trashed.

I personally have a 0 tolerance for lack of respect for other peoples things, them lying to me would have no compassion at all for them. JUST DON"T SIGN ANYTHING until you're fully satisified with the way they are going to resolve it for you.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unacceptable.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

===> Get the letter from the service manager admitting their employee did this before taking it to the GM or owner (or local news outlets - many TV stations do 'consumer' items, and they just might like one like this that confirms people's suspicions of what happens to their cars while they aren't around). <===

Once you have that letter, you have something solid you can point to. Without that letter it's your word against theirs (except for maybe the rental car person).

===> Get that letter. <===
Old 12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

That's BS. Get the punk fired and get everything in writing.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

That sucks but good you caught it. Be sure to tell them that you are now hesitant to bring your car back there for anything not only because of what happened but also for the way it was handled. This means all your business will be taken elsewhere if this isn't resolved to YOUR satisfaction. Also, tell them when you are in this unsatisfied state, you can't stop talking about it with LOTS of people and the first question everyone asks is "What dealership was this?" Would they rather the story had a happy ending or one that makes people think that they should just avoid that dealership altogether. I like to try and make the point that something like this could cost them much more than just one person's business....

Good Luck
Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So here's the updated story.

I go in today to pick up my car, advise the service manager that I want a leak down test performed before I retake delivery of the vehicle, and ask to see the letter he had waiting for me. Long story short, he personally had checked for any codes possibly thrown, there were none, and test drove my car himself, both to and from the uphostery shop ( I know this because I actually saw him drive my car from the shop). He assured me that he had chewed some serious butt over the issue...bla bla bla, and if I had any other worries do not hesitate to call him.

He said that if I have any problems with the engine in the future, to bring it back and he will personally see that I am taken care of properly. From now on if I HAVE to go back to that particular dealer, I am only dealing with the service manager and all the lying sack of sh-- service writers can go screw themselves (I don't like being lied to!). I aproached the girl at the rental place about getting a statement and she agreed if need be.

As of now I am still extremely ____ed at the porter and service writer but the service manager has really tried to make sure I am happy in the end. I will never take my car back to that dealership again, so the free oil changes and tire rotation are pretty much worthless to me, and I am sure everybody I run into who owns a toyota will here of this.

Here is a copy of the letter he gave me:

At least I have some proof if I ever need it in the future.
Thanks everybody for all the advice and support!

-Jason
Old 12-03-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I doubt it really did any damage but it's good to be covered and also to try to keep it from happening to others.

Quick Reply: Must Read! Dealer Caught Red Handed THRASHING MY CAR!!!!