Target Stores Hit w/ $500,000 Air-Pollution fine by CARB

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs down Target Stores Hit w/ $500,000 Air-Pollution fine by CARB

Another reason why it sucks to run a business or live in California

Target Corp. has been fined $500,000 after being accused of selling products in its California stores that violate air-pollution rules, including portable fuel containers sold in Westminster. targetgoc

The fine, announced Wednesday by the state Air Resources Board, was imposed after enforcement officers from the state agency found that the retail chain had also sold portable generators, windshield washer fluid, liquid air fresheners and reed-diffuser air fresheners that failed to meet state regulations.

The fuel containers emitted volatile organic compounds, which contribute to smog formation, while the portable generators did not meet requirements meant to control exhaust, the agency said in its announcement.

The products were sold between 2006 and 2008.

According to the air board, Target continued selling the products even after receiving a warning of a pending enforcement action by the agency.

The case eventually was resolved with a “stipulated settlement” in October, the agency said.

Target representatives could not be reached for comment Wednesday.
http://greenoc.freedomblogging.com/2...lations/17501/
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang...cali sucks

squash air-fresheners are illegal? im pretty sure cigarettes are worst for the environment then squash fresheners
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2! WTF...Man Cali is killing everything....How is something that smells awsome, harmful? Poor Target. I love that store....
Old 12-17-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Man, I feel sorry for you guys in Cali. You are loosing more freedoms faster than anywhere else.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

cali = FAIL!!!!! i'm surprised everyone hasn't pulled out of there yet
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

its the governator's fault
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no its actually all the dumb cali citizens who elected Arnold to be the governor
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i live right next to the target. didnt heard about the news until now
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Sorry guys but its not the governors fault. Its the ARB. They can pass whatever law they want without a sign-off from anybody outside of the ARB. Everything revolves around money... If they think they can get you for it they will. Also the Generators must have not been exactly "portable" because any generator that is 49hp and below is exempt from ARB law.

The ARB is the same body who earlier this year wanted to outlaw black cars. All anybody has to do fight is to get a lot of ppl behind them. They went running back home with they're tails between they're legs because the black car legalization ____ed a lot of ppl off.

I have to deal with these schmucks on a daily bases. They have more power then god. Any of you who think your safe because you live in another state its only a matter of time before you fall in line too.

Our only problem is we let them do what they want...If we had enough ppl that were willing to make go public with their dislike of the ARB things would change...But as for now most ppl will just pay the fine and get on with life.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

wait so why is there a pic of the air spencers? target doesnt even sell them...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think our society works like that buddy. In order for a law to get passed, you need to get it regulated from the government and Arnold runs the government of CA (HINT: His title is Governor). Target will not get fined a hefty 500K out of some random law some side group created.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

CARB is the devil it is nothing but a bunch of lame bureaucrats who pass ridiculous laws, but I am affected by them in one good way businesses will need to buy new commercial diesel trucks to comply with the new diesel emissions that have older trucks and/or fleets and I just happen to sell Commercial Trucks.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

CARB should be disbanded!!! After I sell a bunch of new trucks of course though!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
I dont think our society works like that buddy. In order for a law to get passed, you need to get it regulated from the government and Arnold runs the government of CA (HINT: His title is Governor). Target will not get fined a hefty 500K out of some random law some side group created.

I LOL'd...

Actually the above could be blame for why things get passed.

The other could be is this is a bogus report. Google it and all you get is the same thread in car forums. No CNN, no local news not even a eco-terrorist site claiming victory over something. Not even the site it was on in the link... the Orange County Register.

When searching strictly "NEWS" I get this : Your search - Target Stores Hit w/ $500,000 Air-Pol... - did not match any documents

I'm going to be the first in calling this BULLSH!T.

The Orange County Register is also in BETA... Something just doesn't smell right.

Last edited by gcat007; 12-19-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

try being in the chemical business, where fines are in the millions for petty sh!*. every year the industry complies they loose revinue, so they get more strict and enforce new laws to keep money flowing. we are watched by countless agencys.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Call it what you want to DOMO but thats life... I guess in your eyes we live in a perfect society that doesnt revolve around greed and gain...Maybe we just dont live in a state that is starving for money and will try to get at any cost...If thats the case then maybe I am just a loon with a computer.

I have to work extremely closely with the ARB and CalOSHA because Im a code officer for a living. My job is to make sure that the company I work for stays within spec with the moronic laws that have been pouring out of the ARB and CalOSHA since the economy has been going down hill In fact We just paid a 10K fine for letting a Diesel truck Idle for more then 5 min on a job site...Id really love to jack slap the guy who came up with that one. Or how about you cant register a diesel truck in Ca. that is older then 15 years without being fined...But the ARB will give you a voucher for a new truck as long as your turn over the truck to them but there is a catch they will fit it with CARB legal parts and GPS unit to watch you.

***If you want to read the whole article off of the ARB website about the fines target paid its on the home page or the ARB website.***

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm