Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

Toyota/scion technician or employee help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota/scion technician or employee help?

Okay so long stoory short I got mugged and I believe the thieves have my car keys, wallet, and cell phone. Which means they have my address, alarm, and key to my car. My car sits on the street or driveway all the time. I have called around to a few dealerships like orange and longo and no one really seems to have the slightest clue in regaurds to the factory alarm system and whether our keys have an immobilizer or not. Does anyone have this information? I've been told to just take it in but I really feel uncomfortable taking it somewhere when the person on the phone doest even know if the alarm is reprogramable after talking to "a couple techs". I did just get ahold of a differet person that seems to have some sort of knowledge but I was hopeing that the scionlife gurus could chime in.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

All scions come standard with a passive alarm system and engine immobilizer.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Atleast with the 08 xb it came with a cheapo valet key they could reproduce for $15, how i know is they just told me on the phne the cost to replace this. If it had an immobilizer then how come that key will start the car and open the doors? I was being told they would program it so only the reprogrammed key would start the car but the one that had not been reprogrammed could open the doors still. When I brought up the valet key they had no answer for me and ate thier words.

Well the service forman from toyota of orange just got off the phone with me. He said it did not have an immobilizer he found this out by researching my cars vin number. So it just needs the alarm reprogramed and the key barrels to be switched for new ones+new keys which all comes in a set for $157. Labor is 200 he said to do the switch and program the ew keys. I talked to longo and they were telling me I needed to switch the ecu and all sorts of stuff. The persoon I spoke with must have been a bad representative of thier company because I've read good things about longo in general on this forum. They did not seem to know anyting about what I was inquiring and it was very frustrating. I'm not chosing a side with these dealers because Ive had orange claim to do a rotation that never happened. It would be nice to find a dealership that I could trust. I feel sorry for people without any sort of mechanical common sense trying to have work done. It would be really easy to be taken advantage of in certain situations.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry 2 hear u got mugged

u can always unplup the maf at nite wen the cars parked .. that will work unless they pop the hood to look