Notices
Regional - Pacific South CA, NV

is it true california passed the front license plate law?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default is it true california passed the front license plate law?

sooooo my friend got a brand new tc and his license plates came today and he told me he wasnt putting on his front plate on even though theres those ugly drilled holes because our other friend who has a tc told him that theres a law passed in california this year that you dont need front license plate.... is this true? cause i doubt it...
Old 04-08-2008, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: is it true california passed the front license plate law

Originally Posted by lilfunnijohn
sooooo my friend got a brand new tc and his license plates came today and he told me he wasnt putting on his front plate on even though theres those ugly drilled holes because our other friend who has a tc told him that theres a law passed in california this year that you dont need front license plate.... is this true? cause i doubt it...
I don't think so.I just got pulled over late Feb. and had to correct it by today (which I did). It cost $15.00 just to get it written off and $10.00 when you go to court. They never mentioned anything about it turning into a law(they prefer that you don't know). I could be wrong. As for the holes in the bumper, why not just put the license plate on the bottom grill part on the bumper. Some parts from Home Depot and voila.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm not too sure about that one!!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

highly doubt it. this is the state that won't allow you to park on your own front lawn.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

CA vehicle code 11713.17 has not been amended, changed, or deleted.

Unless this was something that was passed today, which I highly doubt, you're friend is a certified idiot. Tell him you heard that speed limits were repealed, tint is allowed on any glass at up to 0% level, and that you are legally allowed to steal money from banks....

All in my wildest dreams.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, will never happen.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Aroddalobster
highly doubt it. this is the state that won't allow you to park on your own front lawn.
LOL true... i got a 26 dollar parking ticket for parking infront of my friends front lawn today at 11 AM... my friend didtn even know anything about it and he lived their his whole life... kinda bs... but hes paying half of it so w/e.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and ill let him know lol...

I hope las vegas doesnt require front license plate :X since ill be moving there in about 8 months woot.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Not true because I just got pulled for no plate and tint a couple of nights ago. Just a warning though. My third one for the plate and first for the tint. :D I've never gotten a ticket for either.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

everywhere is different some cops dont care about the plates other cops do
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

Nope. Not in a million years. Coz if you don't have a front plate they can't cite you through one of those stoplight cameras in some intersections. Wait a second...
Old 04-08-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not true. I got pulled over on St. Patty's Day for no front plate and they tried to get me with a DUI.
The nice (actually he was very) motorcycle cop let me off with a verbal warning. I guess he had bigger fish to fry.
BTW- I passed all sobriety tests and the breathalyzer.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Yah, its always going to be a law to have the front plate. Like what jurassic said about the red light cameras.. i think some also take a pic of the rear plate too.. if a cop wants to pull you over, having no front plate gives him every right.. might as well give him less reason.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iirc, they take pics of both front and back plates in cali, and if one of them isn't showing, they're forced to throw that ticket away.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 AM
SL Member

iirc, they take pics of both front and back plates in cali, and if one of them isn't showing, they're forced to throw that ticket away.
haha ^^ if that is true.. then legit..!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not true i got pulled over about an hour ago for it
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is that some sort of anti-redneck law? i mean, wtf can the state government tell me i can't park my own car on my own lawn? i guess i would just tell them to screw off and have the whole thing paved over so i could park wherever i want, and not have to cut so much grass.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope las vegas doesnt require front license plate :X since ill be moving there in about 8 months woot.
NV has a front plate law, at least I see most vehicle's there with both. Although there is a loophole, if your car does not have a place to mount a front plate you don't have to.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eltaco

NV has a front plate law, at least I see most vehicle's there with both. Although there is a loophole, if your car does not have a place to mount a front plate you don't have to.
in MD, you can get historic tags on your car if it is like...20 years old i think, and that means you can do just about anything with the car, so long as you only drive it like 2 miles a day or something.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here, welcome to Vegas
NRS 482.275 License plates: Display.

1. The license plates for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, power cycle or motor vehicle being transported by a licensed vehicle transporter must be attached thereto, one in the rear and, except as otherwise provided in subsection 2, one in the front. The license plate issued for all other vehicles required to be registered must be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plates must be so displayed during the current calendar year or registration period.

2. If the motor vehicle was not manufactured to include a bracket, device or other contrivance to display and secure a front license plate, and if the manufacturer of the motor vehicle provided no other means or method by which a front license plate may be displayed upon and secured to the motor vehicle:

(a) One license plate must be attached to the motor vehicle in the rear; and

(b) The other license plate may, at the option of the owner of the vehicle, be attached to the motor vehicle in the front.

3. The provisions of subsection 2 do not relieve the Department of the duty to issue a set of two license plates as otherwise required pursuant to NRS 482.265 or other applicable law and do not entitle the owner of a motor vehicle to pay a reduced tax or fee in connection with the registration or transfer of the motor vehicle. If the owner of a motor vehicle, in accordance with the provisions of subsection 2, exercises the option to attach a license plate only to the rear of the motor vehicle, the owner shall:

(a) Retain the other license plate; and

(b) Insofar as it may be practicable, return or surrender both plates to the Department as a set when required by law to do so.

4. Every license plate must at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and must be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

5. Any license plate which is issued to a vehicle transporter or a dealer, rebuilder or manufacturer may be attached to a vehicle owned or controlled by that person by a secure means. No license plate may be displayed loosely in the window or by any other unsecured method in any motor vehicle.

Quick Reply: is it true california passed the front license plate law?