Props to Dan Corron . . . kinda, lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Default Props to Dan Corron . . . kinda, lol

Congrats to Dan Corron, He was recently recognized in the Scion dealer magazine, here is the article!

Dan Corron, Scion of Des Moines
Des Moines, IA
Dan Corron was born and raised in Des Moines, but it wasn't until he returned to that Midwestern town two years ago-after a stint in big-city Chicago-that he found his true home.

"I managed a retail clothing store in Chicago, then worked as a bartender and waiter," he says. "But I wanted to get back to Iowa. I went to a Scion dealership looking for a car and was so impressed with the salesperson that I decided to go out on a limb and apply for a job back in Des Moines. I thought my wife was joking when she said, 'You'd make a good car salesperson.' But, fact is, I love cars. And I'm good at sales. They hired me, right after my 24th birthday."

Six months later, dealership management approached Corron about taking on the Scion Champion position. He jumped at the opportunity and it's paid off, on multiple fronts.

Sell Outfits, Not Separates
Corron immediately began applying the lessons learned selling clothes to selling Scions.

"In commission sales, you start with what the customer is looking for and then build on it," he says. "For example, you might start with a pair of jeans. But then you show how to build an outfit, with a shirt to match the jeans, then shoes to pull it together, then a belt to match the shoes. It's the same with a car. If they're looking at a tC, I might show them performance accessories. If they're into the sound system, I'll go beyond an iPod upgrade and show them a subwoofer. Accessory sales are my forte."

Pump Up the Promotions
Corron says the dealership had participated in some grassroots marketing events before he became the Scion champion. But the scope and reach have grown exponentially under his watch. He's orchestrated Scion nights at local nightclubs, lining up guest DJs. He secured a two-year lease on a Scion vehicle for a giveaway by the local Drake University's athletic department. He was the presenting sponsor for "515 Alive," an all-day program of performers-DJs, rappers, hip-hop artists, graffiti artists and the like-that drew a crowd of more than 6,000. He helped in the development of an xB show car, tricked out with eight television screens, six subwoofers, five amps and "I don't know how many speakers."

The most recent brainstorm between Steve Luebke (GM), Matt Rourke (Scion Salesperson), and Corron resulted in challenging the art students at the 22 area high schools to design a paint scheme for a second show car, an over the top Chris Rado-inspired tC. The top three submissions will receive scholarships in the amounts of $2,500, $1,500 and $750. The finished product should be ready to hit the show circuit by mid-February.

"We see this as a way to get at an even younger demographic," he says. "We want to be on the forefront. We're all really stoked about the response."

Exceeding Expectations
The focused effort is paying off. When Corron got started, Scion of Des Moines was working with an allocation of just 10-15 cars per month. Now, they sell 25-35 per month to rank as the No.2 Scion dealer in the Kansas City Region. Corron claims a significant share of those sales. But the load is distributed over 16 sales consultants (out of 23 overall) who are Scion certified. Add in recent growth in Toyota vehicle sales and the outlet is No.1 in the region overall. "The growth in Des Moines would not have been possible without the leadership and guidance from all of Scion," he says. "Especially from the Scion regional managers who have always been there to help us out."

"Our general manager, Steve Luebke, has really challenged the idea of this being a small-town dealership," says Corron. "He's brought in a whole new culture, the culture of saying, 'Yes!' We strive to be courteous, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. And we don't take no for an answer, but we do it in a way that's respectful to the customer."

The Road Ahead
As much as Scion of Des Moines is benefiting from the accomplishments of today, Corron sees the real payback coming years down the road as these new and younger customers work their way up the product ladder, from Scion to Toyota and perhaps eventually to Lexus.

"It's an investment," he says. "We're building a customer base that will continue to pay off in the future."

Old 01-12-2007, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Dan showed me the article yesterday. Congrats Dan!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks for the laugh

They did a very nice article on me. I was just hoping I didn't say anything stupid or have one of my ADHD moments. But I would not be recongnized without everyones help in the region. So big props to you
Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nice job Dan, See you in Chicago for the champions trip
Old 01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
jbo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cmon guyz we all know Dan's the man do it to it Dan... see u in Chitown all.