Regional - Rockies CO, MT, WY

ever been side swiped by a semi?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by djhax

I was passing this guy in the left lane with a grand am like 4 carlengths ahead of me, and all of a sudden he came into my lane. After? I pulled over and so did the trucker....and he tried to blame it on me? So the cops didnt write anyone tickets.

That truckers a CHUMP!!! I hate to see and read about such things like this. Sorry dude hope you get fixed soon.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Wow Hax! I am so sad to see this. People seem to forget how to drive in snow and muck, but sometimes it seems like they just need to pay closer attention to their surroundings too! Especially in huge trucks like that! Well, at least the cop did,nt hassle you about your tint, huh?
Let us know if you need a ride to MC's, k?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
SL Member

wow, that really sucks
i hope he pays up. i had something fall off a truck once a week after buying my car, and i followed it and got the company's number. i called and said what happened and how it dented my quarter panel, and they said they would check their truck, and they said everything looks fine and nothing fell off it, so i ended up with a damaged car. :-(
Old 02-16-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by steedums
wow, that really sucks
i hope he pays up. i had something fall off a truck once a week after buying my car, and i followed it and got the company's number. i called and said what happened and how it dented my quarter panel, and they said they would check their truck, and they said everything looks fine and nothing fell off it, so i ended up with a damaged car. :-(
Of course they said nothing fell off it.. they don't want any of that stuff in their hands. I don't know if you've heard about this girl.. her name is Maria Federici. Because of what happened to her, there is now a law called "Maria's Law". Failure to secure a load is a criminal act if it causes death or injury.

"[Maria Federici] was blinded and permanently disfigured when a piece of particle board from a home entertainment unit flew off a trailer, impaling her windshield and shattering her face as she drove south on I-405 in February 2004."

That's just in this state.. but either way, I'm sure that company just didn't want to be part of some sort of tiny insurance issue.. but nonetheless, I'm sorry.

Maria Federici.. before on left.. after on right.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

dude, hax...

that sucks azz. glad you're ok. I hope your insurance sticks it to the trucker. what were the road conditions?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Roads were ok actualy, wet from melting snow but ok. I hope so too, with him trying to blame me I fear oit won't be easy. I can't even get it fixed under my own insurance because I have a $2,500 deductable......so if his insurance screws me......um.......bake sale anyone?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

what's his argument that it was your fault?
Old 02-16-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I was traveling east down 270 in the left lane, with a white grand am like 3 or 4 car lengths ahead when he came into my lane and hit me. He is tring t claim I was in a lane that ended coming off i25 onto 270 and merged into him because I ran out of lane. Now back when I actually did merge onto 270 from i25, I passed a police officer who had a big rig pulled over in the left hand shoulder as I was merging. That means if his story was accurate, when I ran out of lane I would have hit the officer and truck in the shoulder
Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

that's crap. I wish the ofc would have checked with his donut buddies and found that there was a cop in that shoulder. i bet your insurance would help you fight it - they are good at that.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So....My insurance said its 100% the truckers fault and they're not paying anything, which is good, but at that point they bail on me and I'm on my own. I reciebed a letter in the mail yesterday saying the truckers insurance found that I am 100% at fault and I sideswiped their driver, and they are not paying for my car to be fixed. So there it is........I'm screwed. Looks like this years show season ended before it started.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So....My insurance said its 100% the truckers fault and they're not paying anything, which is good, but at that point they bail on me and I'm on my own. I reciebed a letter in the mail yesterday saying the truckers insurance found that I am 100% at fault and I sideswiped their driver, and they are not paying for my car to be fixed. So there it is........I'm screwed. Looks like this years show season ended before it started.

Well isn't that ****. You should contact your insurance to have them dispute it. /:
Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, never been sideswiped by a semi, and that is because i know to not sit in their blind spots.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
nope, never been sideswiped by a semi, and that is because i know to not sit in their blind spots.
If you read back, you'll notice I was passing him, not "sitting" in his blind spot. But thanks for your positive input!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you read back, you'll notice I was passing him, not "sitting" in his blind spot. But thanks for your positive input!!
this has been happening soo much i just had to make a thread about it because this is like the umpteenth time a scion has been hit by a commercial vehicle of some sort

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...209&highlight=

but yeah, i have been nearly hit passing semi or busses. the worst one was when i was merging from 70 e to 270 s. at that point there were four lanes of traffic, two left most lanes were for staying on 70, and the two right most lanes were for getting onto 270 s. so this coach bus ahead of me changes lanes to get onto 270 s, uses his turn signal, and i follow to get off. , but i decide to go all the way to the right most lane. i take a second to see what the coach is doing. turn signal turns off, it was going straight, so i downshift and start to power forward when suddenly the coach starts coming into my lane, i brake hard, take a quick feint to the shoulder but i slow down fast enough to be clear of his tail. i should have taken the time to call the number on the back of the coach to complain, but i let it go. passed on the left and had no problem.

so yeah, it is not your fault, cdl drivers make mistakes just like the rest of us. sorry to make it sound like i was telling you it was your fault. drive safetly.

anyway, on another note, why is your deductible sooooo high? i mean $2500? that makes it almost always too expensive to be worth using? did you do it to reduce your monthly payments?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

anyway, on another note, why is your deductible sooooo high?
I had to raise it, in order to lower my payments enough to be able to afford driving, thanks to a misquote from my insurance company that lead me to belive insuring the car was a lot cheaper than it really turned out to be.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:36 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member
Scinergy

we should totally have a pitch in for hax fund. ill put up the first $100...
i hate it when good people get the bad end of the stick. plus hax put alot of effort into his car
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

that kinda blows :-/ the worst semi encounter i've had was me comming around a blind left hander on the gsxr @ dealers gap only to find that the semi had come into my lane so that he could go around the corner wide.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member
Scinergy

Awe Hax, I'm so sorry to hear that you have to pay for your own damage now. Believe me, I just finally got mine back after a long time fighting, and then ultimately just having to pay myself! It sux!
Please let us know if we can help? Maybe our old front bumper might help? It has holes drilled in it for the stock ground effects though...and you'd have to get it painted too...
Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I am glad you are OK Hax.

Hax, really man.. $2500 deductible is not worthed. I got a good job, my wife got a good job and I dont think I can afford driving a car with $2500 deductible. Take him to court, or something and get out of this mess. Just get your self an old car with deductible insurance. I hate to see this ruining your credit man. Get your self a nice car later when you can afford insurance and payment with $500 deductible or less. Good luck hax! I hope they total your car so you can get out of the payment with only $2500.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

After I look at the damage, I dont think it will be totaled.

Quick Reply: ever been side swiped by a semi?