Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge
Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

Mustang V6 Track Package vs BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To Jon,

Simple physics my ___. I'd like to see you go explaining in correct calculation the coefficient of friction on the same pavement wet and dry with an uncertainty of +/-5% and how you did it lol.

Last edited by Jon; 06-10-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Bypassing language filter
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Calm down there, buddy. All I stated was a lower coefficient of friction i.e. a wet road would make it easier to slide a car around. And FYI I did take AP Physics in HS but since I'm a business major I haven't taken it since. Sorry if the word "simple" offended your ego, but I didn't think the concept was hard to grasp even if someone doesn't know how to calculate it.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^part of the conversation must be missing, how did we get to talking about physics of wet roads?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The thread was cleaned up but he must have felt the need to get a word in.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^This. For those complaining it being on "Prius tires" there should be no issue getting it sideways. That discussion was so last page ago. What's next?
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
Calm down there, buddy. All I stated was a lower coefficient of friction i.e. a wet road would make it easier to slide a car around. And FYI I did take AP Physics in HS but since I'm a business major I haven't taken it since. Sorry if the word "simple" offended your ego, but I didn't think the concept was hard to grasp even if someone doesn't know how to calculate it.
Haha that was a joke man. I wasn't being serious. Good to know you took AP physics. No big ego here. I'm an engineering major, so physics is required. Not sure if I took AP physics in high school though. I don't know if I'll ever post on a forum in utter anger, if I do, I apologize. What school do you go to? I do wonder however, how easy/hard it will be to find an empty parking lot to practice in when it does rain instead of driving an hour or more to find some kind of session.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboMonkey36
Haha that was a joke man. I wasn't being serious. Good to know you took AP physics. No big ego here. I'm an engineering major, so physics is required. Not sure if I took AP physics in high school though. I don't know if I'll ever post on a forum in utter anger, if I do, I apologize. What school do you go to? I do wonder however, how easy/hard it will be to find an empty parking lot to practice in when it does rain instead of driving an hour or more to find some kind of session.
My mistake for misunderstanding your intent, but it was worded like a challenge. Anyway, no harm done.

Finding a sanctioned spot to practice would depend on your location. Luckily there are quite a few events that go on around here. Although personally, I prefer to add grip not remove it, so they really won't be much use to me. AutoX and track days will be my events of choice.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
My mistake for misunderstanding your intent, but it was worded like a challenge. Anyway, no harm done.

Finding a sanctioned spot to practice would depend on your location. Luckily there are quite a few events that go on around here. Although personally, I prefer to add grip not remove it, so they really won't be much use to me. AutoX and track days will be my events of choice.
It's ok man.

The only one I've heard of is like an hour away, but I hear it's only like twice a year and it's not that great. If I go with an FR-S it'll be like a year from now anyway... Though, I'd like to try some form of slow drifting and maybe a track day. Nice knowing the limited slip is standard too!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why FR-S(or BR-Z)??? I think this guy covered it.

Last edited by dropzone; 06-11-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added in BR-Z. lulz
Old 06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
Why FR-S??? I think this guy covered it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG2Ru...e_gdata_player
Well I refer to both when I type FR-S. I'm more inclined to the BRZ for the blue accented seats, suspension, digital hvac, navigation, and the silver dash accents as factory options, but I like the FR-S since everything is more customizable in the sense that it has a little less that can be replaced with aftermarket options. So yes, it would be a BRZ for me when it comes to the option.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought of this thread when I saw this.

AT AND on grippier Falken RT615's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Yiv...ayer_embedded#!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep in mind the BRZ is more of a driver's track car suspension set up and the FRS was tuned to drift easily. So the V6 mustang in the video probably would have more than 2 seconds on the FRS.

Also the V6 Mustang of today is nothing like the Fox body V6 Mustang. It probably has the same power of the 5.0 Fox body Mustang.

Everyone should keep in mind on this site the FRS is going to beat out 98% of the cars it is compared to.

Also the Prius tires were chosen so it could get the mpg rating it did since it does take premium fuel.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That was so loud lol. Why would they add grippier tires to slide around in?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Mustang in it's current form is no joke. Pick up a magazine, and look at the list of trackable vehicles in it's price range that it's quicker than. It's heavy, so of course drivers are going to say they feel disconnected, but that makes it no less capable, be it V6 or V8. The worse thing that could have been done was to ever compare the FR-S to the Mustang or Camaro. And then a magazine (I think Car & Driver) printed those magic words, along the lines of 'it makes the V6 Mustang and Camaro obsolete.' And the fighting started in earnest. For every aftermarket buck spent on an FR-S to make it better, Mustang owners can spend that same buck, and probably have it go farther with cheaper or used parts.

Appreciate the FR-S for what it is. Relatively light, quick, agile, and responsive. Don't compare it to anything else. For every Toyota fan that's been pining for a sports car reminiscent of the good old days, here it is. It's pretty damn awesome, and most folks won't be able to drive it near to it's capability anyway, so don't worry about 'beating' a Mustang. Beat him in 5 years with the extra wad of cash you get if you both decide to sell or trade in.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wise words my friend. Wonder if Toyota or Subaru will see these comparos and sights of the GT/370z and make a version to compete against them?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ogerdgonz
Keep in mind the BRZ is more of a driver's track car suspension set up and the FRS was tuned to drift easily. So the V6 mustang in the video probably would have more than 2 seconds on the FRS.

Not the case, as there are videos of the GT86/FR-S lapping a little over a second faster than a BRZ on Tsukuba and another Japanese track. It comes down to just driving and your ability to push both to their optimum potential.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought gt 86 was brz equipped. The fr-s is the only one that's different in the USA only
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboMonkey36
I thought gt 86 was brz equipped. The fr-s is the only one that's different in the USA only
No, GT86 is suspension setup is the same as the FR-S.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te7F-SPV8eg

Notice the wheel/driving difference between the 86 and the BRZ. FR-S is just like the 86.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Not the case, as there are videos of the GT86/FR-S lapping a little over a second faster than a BRZ on Tsukuba and another Japanese track. It comes down to just driving and your ability to push both to their optimum potential.
A little unclear here... if you're saying that the less predictable, more tail happy FRS package can be driven around a track as quickly as the more predictable BRZ package given the right driver, I agree. If you're saying that the FRS is over a second faster per lap than the BRZ, I call BS. FWIW, Randy Pobst and every reviewer that I've read says that the BRZ setup is more track-capable while the FRS is more driftable.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
A little unclear here... if you're saying that the less predictable, more tail happy FRS package can be driven around a track as quickly as the more predictable BRZ package given the right driver, I agree. If you're saying that the FRS is over a second faster per lap than the BRZ, I call BS. FWIW, Randy Pobst and every reviewer that I've read says that the BRZ setup is more track-capable while the FRS is more driftable.

I'll clear it up for you. The FR-S/GT86 is not "less predictable", it is every bit predictable. The BRZ is not "more" track-capable. It's more understeering, which allows novice drivers to have more confidence. It takes an experienced driver to push an FR-S/GT86 as fast, or faster in some cases as the BRZ, since the FR-S/GT86 is livelier. So, what I'm saying is that both of you are a little late to the party, A) for thinking the FR-S would be even slower. And B) To think the BRZ is faster just because they FR-S has more drift capabilities out of the box.

And here is the example for you. This is the same Japanese driver in both cars, so there is no "the other guy this and that".

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Te7F-SPV8eg

In Randy Pobst driving of both cars, when you compare the reviews, it shows Pobst spending more time having fun getting sideways in the FR-S, and we know that's not the fastest way around the track. I think if he concentrated more on actual grip when he did the FR-S review, you would see identical times, or in as I said some cases...the FR-S/GT86 going faster like the video above I just posted.

PS....and no that is not the only video of a GT86 lap comparison against the BRZ and the GT86 being faster. There is another video of another track the 86 clicks a second faster. At the end of the day, either can come out on top with proper driving over the other guy.

Quick Reply: Mustang V6 Track Package vs BRZ