Scion FR-S Forum - The Scion sport coupe

Scion wants your thoughts on the FR-S

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
Say 170ish+ depending on the transmission. One thing that does bug me is the fact the auto is an old fashion slush box with a torque converter. I honestly think the parasitic loss might be enough to really ruin the driving experience of this car especially since the torque is probably going to be on the low side.
kinda what I was worried about since i was recently reading on some cars' advertised power output was significantly higher than actual whp
like that mustang GT
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"197 horsepower at 7,000 rpm and 150 pound-feet of torque at 6,600 rpm" will be interesting to see it on a real-world dyno done by Joe XYZ... since the tC2 is quoted at "Horsepower: 180 hp @ 6000 rpm and Torque: 173 ft-lbs. @ 4100 rpm" and folks running 87 octane were seeing 150's for stock hp from the heartbreak dynos.... who knows?

As a test, putting my Passat on a Dyno this saturday, advertised Torque: 207 ft-lbs. @ 1800 rpm and Horsepower: 200 hp @ 5100 rpm to see what a normal dyno result is, and get a baseline before mods....

There will probably be people on here twitching, waiting for numbers once the FR-S is out. ....and how long before a FI kit is out for it.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prediction: Manual trans owners of the fr-s will be happy (assuming it comes with some type of lsd), and auto owners will wish they had bought a manual when they hit the to pedal.

Even if it isn't the lightest/most powerful thing out there, it still has a center of gravity/balance that rivals the gtr...
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Prediction: Manual trans owners of the fr-s will be happy (assuming it comes with some type of lsd), and auto owners will wish they had bought a manual when they hit the to pedal.

Even if it isn't the lightest/most powerful thing out there, it still has a center of gravity/balance that rivals the gtr...
I'm really starting to think this car will be like an RX8 only lighter with less power. You will have a high revving (yes I know the RX8 is powered by a rotary engine) engine rear wheel drive car that has an excellent weight balance. Heck the FRS even kinda looks like an RX8.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch

There will probably be people on here twitching, waiting for numbers once the FR-S is out. ....and how long before a FI kit is out for it.

It will be interesting to see what kind of FI kits come out for the FRS. I know DI help with running a higher compression ratio under boost but 12.5:1 is still kinda high IMO...this car will require at least 91 octane from the factory right?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:05 PM

I love the car but I think its ridiculous that they didn't put a turbo on it!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ab501u71yR3d
I love the car but I think its ridiculous that they didn't put a turbo on it!
The old ae86 wasn't turbo and you didnt see people complaining.... The tc isn't turbo yet everyone boost the hell outta them. The car's potential is ridiculous so I'm sure the aftermarket will be insane and full of turbo goodies.

Tapatalkin on my iPhone
Old 11-18-2011, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flintMicaTC
The old ae86 wasn't turbo and you didnt see people complaining.... The tc isn't turbo yet everyone boost the hell outta them. The car's potential is ridiculous so I'm sure the aftermarket will be insane and full of turbo goodies.
One thing around now that wasn't then.. "Expectation"

I feel it is sad a blue collar smoe like me can't finance tha goodies from the lot since coming across $4k-$5k cash for FI kit isn't very feasible.

Why is it honda makes like 5 versions of the civic; But all we'll get is this Solo N/A version? I'm just saying why is scion allergic to a little variety? I get it they want the cars to sell and the best way is to make it affordable.. but THIS CAR was purely inspired by PERFORMANCE. So it should go without saying there will be buyers interested in Buying PERFORMANCE.

Kinda awkward to have to most agile running back on the football team with asthma. So while this car has Great weight balance; IMO the power to match the package is off balance.
Its obviously a huge missed opportunity for the Scion brand to not collect on the revenue generated by the desire to have more power. A desire that is synonymous with automobile PERFORMANCE.

Thus Leaving HP crack fiends to resort to non warranty supported methods of getting their fix. Then again that'd be a logical strategy if you wanted to reduce the number of car warranties to support by forcing the majority of buyers to void them in their venture to get real PERFORMANCE out of their toy.

Sorry bout the Rant but I ponder greatly on the matter and feel there are more reasons to do more that outweight the ones to do less with this car.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2
Hear Hear!

Last edited by Lex-M; 11-18-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty sure once you test drive one all the "not powerful enough" nagging comments will disappear. The power to weight ratio it has will leave any car around the twisty's.

And I'm sick of people saying " I can't afford a 4k+ turbo kit" blah blah blah. If you can't pay to play then you shouldn't be playing. If you think about it any car with power or a turbo will cost that much more than a n/a powered car.

I think this car will dominate the drifting scene and auto x tracks. And I'm looking forward to trading in my Sti for this bad boy and come back to the scion scene. Seems pretty dead around here...

Tapatalkin on my iPhone
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will probably take PTuning and/or Descendant awhile to make a turbo kit for the FR-S. I don't feel like reading the google results, but is the engine in the FR-S something that has had a turbo on it before? Or will the development of an aftermarket kit going to be going from the ground up?

Add into that, added weight of a turbo... more power will need what, bigger/heavier wheels, brakes? Won't that be kinda pointless unless you just want to 1/4mi the car? If this is strictly being setup as a package, and you plan to AutoX this... may just be fine as it is.

Although... wonder what class it will be in, and the cars you would compete against.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kind of a narrow minded view in here. Remember the majority of owners will not mod this car at all so you can never turn around and say well the aftermarket will fix the problem. Alot of people also hold off on big mods like forced induction for other reasons besides money such as loss of resale/trade in value, decreased engine life, and increased difficulty to sell private party.

Add into that, added weight of a turbo... more power will need what, bigger/heavier wheels, brakes? Won't that be kinda pointless unless you just want to 1/4mi the car? If this is strictly being setup as a package, and you plan to AutoX this... may just be fine as it is.
A slight bump power does not mean Toyota would suddenly have to installed bigger brakes...not sure why they would go with heavier wheels anyway other than to save some money.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by flintMicaTC
The power to weight ratio it has will leave any car around the twisty's.

And I'm sick of people saying " I can't afford a 4k+ turbo kit" blah blah blah. If you can't pay to play then you shouldn't be playing. If you think about it any car with power or a turbo will cost that much more than a n/a powered car.
I'd be fine if it could drift stock. Doubt it tho.
As for affording.... You did read my comment about Financing right? If you think pay to play is all about cash money then maybe I had it wrong... Who out there buys their car without some sort of credit? I'd be willing to bet you have a car payment..
And did you catch the part about having warranty issues?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
A slight bump power does not mean Toyota would suddenly have to installed bigger brakes...not sure why they would go with heavier wheels anyway other than to save some money.
I was referring to someone buying an aftermarket FI setup... if there ends up with an OEM FI (probably from Subaru as an STI model) they'll deal with it however they want to.

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
I'd be fine if it could drift stock. Doubt it tho.
Some of the reviewers who have driven it are saying the car should be able to drift stock with the "stability control" whatever they will call it here, turned off.

The more and more I read about this... I keep leaning towards just buying an S2000 as a "fun" project car.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a funny thread. Good read though. I met the Chief Engineer Tada-san earlier this week and I must say, he has a lot of passion for cars and it shows in what he's created.

I wont leak any details on this car but I can say that if you begin to get the point of this car and stop asking for turbo this, turbo that, you'll begin to appreciate what this car stands for. There are plenty of 300hp cars out there now and they are all in the high $40+k range. For someone looking for a fun to drive car, what's affordable about $40+k? Nothing.

Fun to drive cars shouldn't be unattainable by the masses....
Old 11-18-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^this, well said

Tapatalkin on my iPhone
Old 11-18-2011, 10:52 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne
This is a funny thread. Good read though. I met the Chief Engineer Tada-san earlier this week and I must say, he has a lot of passion for cars and it shows in what he's created.

I wont leak any details on this car but I can say that if you begin to get the point of this car and stop asking for turbo this, turbo that, you'll begin to appreciate what this car stands for. There are plenty of 300hp cars out there now and they are all in the high $40+k range. For someone looking for a fun to drive car, what's affordable about $40+k? Nothing.

like.

also, awesome meeting Tada-san! i've talked to people that have talked to him...really smart dude.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think alot of people confuse the words "performance sports car" and "Muscle car".

A car doesn't have to have gobs of power to be FAST. Heck, look at the miata. Still one of the best handling platforms around...and has it ever broken 200hp stock?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1stOne

Congrats on that Introduction! Def envy that..

Technically my elevenTC is Very a Fun to Drive Car.. lol

I thought I understood the point of the car.. Going to sound silly here, but I've watched all and own most episodes of the show Initial D(which, just to clarify, is not my only means of automobile education). They elaborate very well on many aspects regarding the attributes/physics of the AE86. This car is supposed to bring that essence alive in this sexy body. So knowing that blew my mind.
What multiplied that was learning that the development of this car involved one of, if not, the broadest ventures of automobile R&D. Including a very large amount of engineering expertise/talent.
And I get it.. That kinda of talent doesn't come cheap and the parts may not either.. but if the Nissan Juke can include a turbo in all three versions @ the 20k range, then why can't Scion make 1 version N/A and 1 version Boosted one way or the other..?
I mean did I forget a detail from an interview video that said FI will alter the physics to a point that doesn't comply with other performance goals?

I understand business politics too, so it would be easy to see Toyo and Sub made an agreement to build exclusivity on FI options since it is a Sub engine(which I'm not necessarily against); but would be pure speculation.

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
I think alot of people confuse the words "performance sports car" and "Muscle car".

A car doesn't have to have gobs of power to be FAST. Heck, look at the miata. Still one of the best handling platforms around...and has it ever broken 200hp stock?
I don't think Gobs of power would be appropriate. But ~250 to the wheels with minimal boost would be easily attainable and brag-able. Look at what the Descendant does for the TC which starts @ 180.. and is only $4k at an individual retail cost. I know Scion wouldn't have to pay $4k per turbo setup, and adding $4k to the $25k they've been talking about this selling for and I still think that's affordable. Or did I miss a price update on the FR-s?

Last edited by TC-Maverick; 11-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
Congrats on that Introduction! Def envy that..

Technically my elevenTC is Very a Fun to Drive Car.. lol

I thought I understood the point of the car.. Going to sound silly here, but I've watched all and own most episodes of the show Initial D(which, just to clarify, is not my only means of automobile education). They elaborate very well on many aspects regarding the attributes/physics of the AE86. This car is supposed to bring that essence alive in this sexy body. So knowing that blew my mind.
What multiplied that was learning that the development of this car involved one of, if not, the broadest ventures of automobile R&D. Including a very large amount of engineering expertise/talent.
And I get it.. That kinda of talent doesn't come cheap and the parts may not either.. but if the Nissan Juke can include a turbo in all three versions @ the 20k range, then why can't Scion make 1 version N/A and 1 version Boosted one way or the other..?
I mean did I forget a detail from an interview video that said FI will alter the physics to a point that doesn't comply with other performance goals?

I understand business politics too, so it would be easy to see Toyo and Sub made an agreement to build exclusivity on FI options since it is a Sub engine(which I'm not necessarily against); but would be pure speculation.

I don't think Gobs of power would be appropriate. But ~250 to the wheels with minimal boost would be easily attainable and brag-able. Look at what the Descendant does for the TC which starts @ 180.. and is only $4k at an individual retail cost. I know Scion wouldn't have to pay $4k per turbo setup, and adding $4k to the $25k they've been talking about this selling for and I still think that's affordable. Or did I miss a price update on the FR-s?
Totally understandable. Honestly, I think that scion went the N/A route for the exact same reason they did in the tc. To lower the selling price, and allow aftermarket to make kits.

Think about it, what would a tc with a descendant turbo kit cost, when compared to a kitted out GTI?

Quick Reply: Scion wants your thoughts on the FR-S