5 Year Member
SL Member

Default '07 Smart car to take aim at Yaris, other small cars

Paul
Allscion
An e-commerce Website with news and accessories for your Scion vehicles
http://www.allscion.com/store

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/...203789613.html

DaimlerChrysler AG plans to announce next week that it will launch its tiny, two-door Smart car in the U.S. in 2007, a bid to turn around the unprofitable small-car unit, people familiar with the matter said.

Making the Smart car business profitable has been an important task for Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche since he took the top post Jan. 1. The unit has been unprofitable every year since its first model in 1998.

several competitors have beaten Smart to the U.S. market. General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolet Aveo was introduced in 2004, and was followed this year by the Yaris from Toyota Motor Corp. and the Fit from Honda Motor Co. All three sell for $10,000 to $14,000. It may be difficult for DaimlerChrysler to make much money if the Smart is priced in that range because the car is made in Europe. The euro's strength against the dollar makes European exports to the U.S. expensive.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

if u use canadas site as a reference it looks like were paying 15k for a car that only fits two ppl, tops out at 83 mph, and does 0-60 in 19 seconds, im not saying my conversions are exact but if ours is the same and priced the same as in canada i personally cant see it compeating the yaris, fit, aveo, in that pice u your also fighting mini coopers and civics etc, maybe in citys but those numbers dont impress unless the turbo diesal never needs fuel
Old 06-25-2006, 03:42 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

it gets better gas mileage.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

edit, 60 mpg and rear wheel drive and rear wheel engine, it could be fun and it has a neat look, i think it may have hope after all,

being 6'3 ill stay away though

ok ok i thought it was going to tip, yay for scion
Old 06-25-2006, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R--LA...rch=top%20gear
if you call horrendus understeer fun then the smart is the car for you.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Who would want to drive a yellow box like that???? Oh----wait--I drive a yellow box.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've heard of some Smart cars stuffed with a motor from a Hayabusa.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if only the yaris was RWD... ::sigh::
Old 06-25-2006, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is from Smart's website written on April 10th:
You may have heard in the news that it’s all change here at smart. And you’d be right. We are returning to our roots and plan to focus solely on the production of the smart fortwo – securing its status as the iconic small car brand.

We’re proud to say that smart has been the most successful automotive brand introduction in the past ten years. Here are a few snippets to show why we’re confident the smart brand will continue to flourish under the smart fortwo:
• Its unique design has helped the car and brand achieved cult status in many countries around the world.
• It is continuing to go from strength to strength, establishing an excellent market position despite the unfavourable current economic climate.
• The smart fortwo has been a hugely popular car for over eight years – this kind of lifecycle performance is almost unheard of in the automotive industry.
• 2007 will see the successor to the smart fortwo – so as for the future, we’re well and truly here to stay.

To achieve this focus we plan to discontinue production of the smart forfour. Approximately 100,000 smart forfours have been sold globally since the market launch in April 2004. It's been a popular car and the plan to discontinue is not because of the product itself. Unfortunately, the cut-throat competition and economic situation means staying in the segment is unfeasible. Customers should rest assured that we will continue to offer customers professional service for all models (including the smart forfour) at smart centres and many Mercedes-Benz retailers, as well as the long-term service and supply of spare parts.

So whilst we’re sad about the planned discontinuation of the smart forfour, we are definitely looking forward to the future. Keep an eye on the website, to be the first in the know about the new fortwo.
How contrary to most other news, including the above article

I personally like the 'forfour' better, although the BRABUS 'fortwo' is kinda cool. Too bad we'll never see the roadster 'finale' here either. They actually have a lot of headroom and legroom, but only lack in shoulder room.

I think this South African ad sums up how well it's gonna do in the US. We like our cars large & fast over here.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ceiph
if u use canadas site as a reference it looks like were paying 15k for a car that only fits two ppl, tops out at 83 mph, and does 0-60 in 19 seconds, im not saying my conversions are exact but if ours is the same and priced the same as in canada i personally cant see it compeating the yaris, fit, aveo, in that pice u your also fighting mini coopers and civics etc, maybe in citys but those numbers dont impress unless the turbo diesal never needs fuel
As bad as that sounds its not designed for people who would be traveling on highways. Little cars like this are popular in Europe and probably Asia because they have very crowded citys with little tiny roads and expensive gas. If you live somewhere like this, are cheap as hell about paying for gas, and dont want to take public transportation it might be something to think about.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dunno, getting 60MPG sure does sound nice... but it seems like you sacrifice a whole lot of utility for a fuel miser.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:08 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

well.. the thing does reach up to 85mph which is damn fast enough for me to want to be able to drive anywhere.. even on the highway.

besides.... the fastest legal speed limit i know that exists in the US is what.. 70? haha..
like anyone really follows that...

but yeah... say if you're living in uhh.. LA.. parking?? oh yeah... a dream.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if I could go 75 comfortably, I could tolerate it for the gas mileage.

I dunno, I love my brick too much.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol, I love that bilboard. So is the 2nd pic the Americanized Smart?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by socalscion
i've heard of some Smart cars stuffed with a motor from a Hayabusa.
oh I saw a video like that on www.streetfire.net and that thing totally whoops on a ferrari and the busa motor is probably stock lol =)
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and this little motor in the fortwo is turbo, something kool that we dont have unless we spend big $$
Old 06-26-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I saw 75 mph speed limit in MI... i'm sure there's some place with higher... like AZ or something... 85mph cap isn't too bad... depending on how long it takes to get there.

the fortwo looks interesting and could been a real boon in the city with the tight parking right now. But, the price point is going to definately be the main factor.

BTW, speaking of rare sightings... I actually saw a Smart fortwo a couple of weeks ago here in NY. I was wondering when they were going to try to market them here.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
well.. the thing does reach up to 85mph which is damn fast enough for me to want to be able to drive anywhere.. even on the highway.

besides.... the fastest legal speed limit i know that exists in the US is what.. 70? haha..
like anyone really follows that...

but yeah... say if you're living in uhh.. LA.. parking?? oh yeah... a dream.
actually, many states have 75mph limits and texas just pushed it up to 80mph on some roads.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the smart roadster is where its at:

Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chimmy3
I think I saw 75 mph speed limit in MI... i'm sure there's some place with higher... like AZ or something... 85mph cap isn't too bad... depending on how long it takes to get there.

the fortwo looks interesting and could been a real boon in the city with the tight parking right now. But, the price point is going to definately be the main factor.

BTW, speaking of rare sightings... I actually saw a Smart fortwo a couple of weeks ago here in NY. I was wondering when they were going to try to market them here.
You can legally go 99mph in montana. When they nixed federal control over the speed limit a few years back, there was a brief period of time when the official day time speed limit there was "Speed that safe and reasonable for the conditions". i.e., they had none. It was known as the Montanabauhn. However, even when the speed limit was federally set to 55 mph, anything less than 100 in Montana was a simple $5 "energy fine" that was paid on the spot and did not count against your record. And there are only about 60 state troopers to patrol one of the largest states in the union.

Quick Reply: '07 Smart car to take aim at Yaris, other small cars