Notices

2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The majority of everyone scoffed at the xB when it first came out in the states. For crying out loud we already had one it was just 3 times bigger and called an astro. I like this new one because it's far more of an original car, it looks very close to the t2B. Obviously the brand is trying to go for a family resemblance, the Fuzion concept has the same huge c'd pillar, and the same huge front bumer, I think we already know what the next tC will look like. Toyota is not going to forget what Scion is all about, Toyota just barely started adding more options for the old models to keep them a little more fresh before they died out, it's obvious the models are not anything special anymore, sure a few years ago it was hard to get one, but now you see them sitting in every car lot around. These new cars will probably arive on the lot with loads of other extra aftermarket kits. America finally has it's first 'true' xB. It's kind of like how Nissan will finally have a 'true' GT-R instead of a souped up Skyline.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hunterUnknown
Wow, i really don't like either car, at all. they look like toyotas that had birth defects.
LOL!!!! Good one!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boy, am I glad I own a 1st gen!

This thing wreeks of "mini-van/PT cruiser"

I agree the aftermaket treated bB looks much hotter.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: why?

I totally agree. I bought the xB because of the style and what it was. It was unique non-american style that was cool. The new ones look american to me. Don't know what they were thinking. BTW I am 49 but still don't want to drive a granny car.

Originally Posted by PennScion
I don't really get it. I'm a Sales Manager for Scion, and I think I'm going to have a problem selling these to kids. The xB now looks more like any other SUV/ Crossover. It doesn't seem to have ANY of the cool features of the t2B concept (ie. LED headlights, the special doors on either side, etc.) It looks to have the same or similar basic interior fabric/seats. So what makes it so desireable for GenY? Especially that now I think we're going to see even MORE parents/grandparents looking to buy one of these as an inexpensive alternative to an SUV. This makes it even less cool to own. By changing to this design to keep fresh and hip, I think Scion actually did the opposite and made this brand less cool. I was really looking forward to a hot new car. And the xD?!!? It doesn't seem to be much diffent in looks to the current xA, so why rename it xD, and keep the xB with the same name? I'm not happy right now!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion's marketing ploys (or lack thereof) are absolutely stupid. No one but Scion enthusiasts know about these knew cars, and most of them are not impressed. Who is Scion marketing the new vehicles too? If they were smart they'd already have started teasing the rest of the world with these cars.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion listened to all of the "haters" when redesigning the Box. It's like they left the cult following behind and caved in to all of the negative comments. A typical Toyota move, trying to please everyone, rather than create "unique" rides. People dissed the Box but they sold twice as many as they expected.

They got cold feet when attempting to make another edgy vehicle (look at the t2B, where's the suicide doors?)
They were afraid that they would lose cred if they simply converted another Japanese only model(which was actually the first gen's appeal)
They had success with the tC so they completely moved in that direction.

It's clearly a tC wagon, call it that! The xB is dead. The cool factor is gone, and all JDM appeal is lost.

-THE DON
Old 02-07-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Actually Scion has some of the best marketing (or did with the original cars) out of any of the OEMs. How do you think they were marketing to anyone from ages 16-55?

Also, after tomorrow *everyone* will know about the new cars. Won't they?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like both of them...I was never mr.JDM but always a fan of toyota...They are still very different from any other current car in the states. Last time i checked when my car was on stock springs and wheels it looked like an suv...The aftermarket will give both of them love. I just hope they will not be as mass appealing at the tC... True scion owners were always the xB and xA people...fighting the main stream. I think we might have to wait this one out and see how we feeling in the next couple of months.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the xd closely resembles a renault cilo take a look
http://www.renault.com.au/docs/clio/campus.asp
Old 02-07-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

They look really good as base models. Will look even better "spruced" up!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh my frikkin ga.

I love the new design, and I love the sweet engine upgrade. I really didn't read through all the replys for this post but I really want to know is if this xB2 is going to cost as much as the tC when it was first released.

Pleasssse... can I trade in my xB right now for this faster baby? Haha, maybe not. I'm still stuck to my xB... its just too pretty in my eyes.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
Scion listened to all of the "haters" when redesigning the Box. It's like they left the cult following behind and caved in to all of the negative comments. A typical Toyota move, trying to please everyone, rather than create "unique" rides. People dissed the Box but they sold twice as many as they expected.

They got cold feet when attempting to make another edgy vehicle (look at the t2B, where's the suicide doors?)
They were afraid that they would lose cred if they simply converted another Japanese only model(which was actually the first gen's appeal)
They had success with the tC so they completely moved in that direction.

It's clearly a tC wagon, call it that! The xB is dead. The cool factor is gone, and all JDM appeal is lost.

-THE DON
Well put.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bet this is Japan's revenge against America. Sending terrible cars.

Or maybe they thought they were being too hard on the USDM market, so they decided to take it easy on sales.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

It's nice to finally see the new models. Even though I was in Miami and made an effort to see it by climbing up onto a table, I was too drunk to remember and retain anything.

I am glad I have my xBs and don't think I'll get the new one. The new xB is okay but just not unique enough.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by rfishh
Originally Posted by dgHotLava
Originally Posted by rfishh
WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE FIVE AXIS MAKES YOU GUYS DID A GREAT JOB.
I STILL THINK THEY ARE BOTH GOING TO DO WELL BESIDES MOST PEOPLE CHANGE THEIR BOXES ANYWAY SO LOWER IT PUT SOME NEW SHOES ON IT GET A LIP KIT OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CHANGE A FEW THINGS AND BOOM YOUR HOT AGAIN!!!!!!
i think 5axis did it no justice...just some crappy extensions of what was there...
and some ____ poor fog lights...

the only good thing they did was the dual exhaust...

new shoes and kit can not change the soul of the car..the windows, roof line, belt line, hood, lights...
a fat girl in a playmate outfit is still a fat girl...
DAMN DID SOMEBODY HAVE SOME HATERADE THIS MORNING WTF? SINCE WHEN DO CARS HAVE SOULS ANYWAY CALM DOWN IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS!! BESIDES YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF TRIMSPA? HEY IT WAS JUST ONE OPINION AND I LIKE WHAT THEY DID HEY WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME A CATALOGE WITH THE KITS YOU HAVE I MEAN YOU DO MAKE THAT STUFF RIGHT CAUSE YOU CERTAINLY HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT THEIR STUFF.
first...stop typing in all caps! re-read the rules if you need to understand why.

second. all cars have a soul. that why terms like chicks car or soccer mom mini van exist.

you calm down, i'm not the one yelling.

and yes, i made my own kit, so i do have an opinon. i took design elements that are unique and adapted them to work with my ideas.

have you looked at how any kit will be applied to this new model??
it will look ugly (like the lip kits on classic xB's) or be expensive (full bumper replacements)
Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they should sell a body kit for it that makes it look like the 1st gen.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Banned
SL Member

Wow ... is all i can say. I see that pic and i see a blank canvas. I remember looking at the initial RS1 pics on line. The orange box with 19s and stock suspension .. make the poor box look like it was ready for Baja! With my progress suspension and a nice set of 17s i have had numerous people come up and comment on my " tucked " wheels. I look at this box and i see worlds of potential. The fact that its going to have the 2.4 .... 6 air bags ... paddle shifter ... man the hits just keep on coming. Now if i can only get a glimpse of the new colors so i know what paint scheme ill use.

BTW .... lets all remember that viewing a Scion on the net doesnt do it justice. Just like the body styles and paint colors, they just look better in person.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early

Originally Posted by AH-HA
Scion has given us permission to post these images, as they have already been leaked on Car and Driver and AutoBlog.
-- Darren

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...ontiac-g8.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/c...-leaked-early/

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The Japanese bB, a.k.a. the Scion xB, put Scion on the map in the United States in 2003. However, its eensy size and eensier engine were definitely better suited to Toyota’s home market than ours, even though its bargain-basement price brought new meaning to the term “econobox”. And given that the Stateside success of the Scion brand is primarily attributable to the funky, highly customizable xB, Toyota saw to it that the first complete, ground-up redo of the bB/xB has us in mind, and thus bestowed it with newfound size and, more importantly, much more power.

Most striking about the new design are the thick C- and D-pillars and fender flares, both of which contribute to a much more muscular, substantial appearance. The tailgate actually has some roundness to it (!), whereas the previous model was as flat as Kansas on all sides. Also noteworthy is the front end, which features HID headlamps, air intakes on the outer corners of the bumpers (though we question their functionality) and—what’s this?—another take on Audi’s single-frame grille! Clearly, no car is safe from this trend.

More significant, however, is xB’s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD—the replacement for the previous xB’s platformmate, the xA—which has transitioned to the Yaris’ subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Like the xD, the xB will feature standard stability control and six standard air bags, as well as a 160-watt stereo with iPod connectivity, of course. 16-inch steel wheels with lovely plastic wheel covers are standard, though we expect that few of them will remain on xBs for long, given how many accessory wheels are available through Scion and the aftermarket. Scion’s line of accessories is expected to grow even longer now that the xB and xD have become more distinct, and thus will appeal to an even wider array of unique individuals for whom stock won’t do.
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
In a move that can only be deemed as stupid, lazy or incredibly devious, Car & Driver published images and information on Scion's redesigned xB and all-new xD more than a day and a half before the car's are scheduled to be debuted here in Chicago. The info went live last night but wasn't discovered until an industrious member of the ScionLife forum messed with the URL and found it.

First up is the new xB, which has grown in size thanks to leaving the platform it shared with the now defunct xA. Gone is the toaster-esque styling as well, replaced with a design that's still a box, though one with fender flares, a little more character in the front end and a thick C/D-pillar. It's also reported that the interior has been upgraded along with losing the not-loved center-mounted gauge pod. The xB will also share its powerplant with the tC now, which means a 2.4L four-cylinder generating 158 hp and 162 ft-lbs. of torque will be on tap to send power through a five-speed manual or four-seed automatic.

The xD is the new kid in the Scion camp, replacing the less well-received xA. It rides on the same platform as the Yaris, but is powered by the 128-hp, 1.8L four-cylinder found in the Corolla and Matrix. The xD will feature the same transmission choices as the new xB and send power to the front wheels only. The xD's styling shares the same thick C/D-pillar seen on the new xB, which appears to be a new Scion trademark styling cue. We'll leave judgment of the car's overall design to you, but will just say that it looks like a cross between a Camry and a JDM-market Mazda Verisa.
Not only there they were everywhere yesterday....

not news

Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
Im glad I got the 1st Gen...
x2

-THE DON
X3

Agreed
Old 02-07-2007, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may prefer my 1st gen box to the new one, but this car has HUGE potential.

I can still look at a stock xB, and think that it looks silly...a box sitting way up in the air with those stupid skinny wheels. But drop it and put some better wheels on, boom...sweetness. It'll be the same with this car. This new one looks silly in the pictures, but it'll be much better in person. There are only 2 pics here!!With very little modding it can be made to look like the T2b, or better.

The only other thing needed to be said about it:

"I'm terribly sorry, but did you say that this car has the 2.4L engine?"
"Why yes, I certainly did."
BA-DAMN!!!!

Like I said before: When it comes out all the haters will rush out to the dealerships to see "how ugly it is in person"...and some of you will leave the dealer driving one.

Quick Reply: 2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early