2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok from what I understand Toyota made this little side project called "SCION"
to offer a wide range of options to give everyone a chance to get a car the way
they like it and as unique as they would like it... but these new designs I belive
defeat this whole purpose... I dont think either of these cars should be in the SCION
category but should just be a standared Toyota car. Because they dont look unique
which is what SCION should be "UNIQUE", The miami xB looks ok
(with all that make up on it), but still doesn't standout as much as a no makeup completly stock Box looks...

I don't no, im not very happy with these new designs, I love my box and am way glad that I got mine in time... I dont know about the rest of you peeps but I cherish my box now more than ever. :D
Old 02-08-2007, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

God they are both crappy!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionXBrent
What will all the single mothers do without any new xA?
Grow old and drive an xB
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One additional comment about Scion/Toyota abandoning the current xB Classic owners with no replacement vehicle - nothing else on the US market from ANY manufacturer to replace the "form follows functon" City Car. The xB Classic was the only vehicle in that niche here (many others on a world-wide basis, but not here), and now there are none.

ANYONE anywhere near the cutting edge of any business KNOWS that retaining customers is much more productive and much less costly than beating the brush for new ones.

Scion was intended to be the "starter brand" for the Toyota family: Get people hooked on the quality and reliability of the Toyota family of cars and they would very likely look there first for their next vehicle.

The plans made public were to have a logical pathway, one car to the next, one brand to the next. Start with a Scion, move to the Toyota, graduate to the Lexus as one moved through life.

Scion's first models were for the most part a very good starting point, and the model most identified with the Scion brand was that funny little box, the owners of which were nearly fanatical.

Not only was the box an unusual style to see in the US, where so many models look like half-melted bars of soap, it created a market for the Urban Utility Vehicle, the "Tokyo City Car."

In many parts of the world, compact, space efficient, simple, reliable cars are recognized as the ideal urban vehicle. Not 8,000 pound SUVs or 3/4 ton pickups, or 20 foot long luxury cars, but tiny vehicles with massive interior space - the "tardis" of automobile design.

Anyway, Scion introduced America to the idea of the perfect city car: The Scion xB Classic.

The logical thing to do, now that there was a fanatical following in that niche market, was to expand the market, offer an updated version of that class vehicle in the Scion line - or even in the Toyota line - to give people a place to call 'home' when it was time for a new vehicle. If the 'replacement' vehicle in that niche was a Toyota, it would be a logical stepping stone for Scion customers to move up to the 'next level' of the plan.

Instead, what Scion/Toyota has done is to introduce America to the idea of the City Car, to create a quite viable market for that class of vehicle, to build a strong, vehicle aware body of involved owners, then discontinued not only the model, but the entire class of vehicle in the United States.

Scion/Toyota/Lexus should have established a path for their customers - a reasonable, logical, obvious, step-by-step path to follow for their replacement/upgrade vehicles.

Many of the Scion folk probably plan on keeping their cars for two or three years, then moving on to a new one. If Scion/Toyota/Lexus doesn't have that next vehicle in their line-up, there is a good chance Toyota could lose that hard-won customer to another manufacturer who does.

Now would be an ideal time for Nissan to bring in their Cube, and for other manufacturers to look at the idea of a City Car for the US. Another space-efficient box on wheels.

It's not that I'm disappointed with the xB2 - it's a nice vehicle and I'm sure it will do well, even if it ISN'T a replacement for the xB Classic.

What I'm disappointed with is the planning folks at Scion and Toyota not offering ANY path to ANY vehicle when someone who needs/loves/enjoys/owns the Scion xB City Car needs a new one.

We've been abandoned. That is NOT a good feeling to leave one's customers with...

That's it for now - I should probably just move all my musing to my blog, anyway.

Tom
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member

Default xD Profile

Old 02-08-2007, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i like them, and liked the xd from miami so much i wanted to sell my tc. so :p
:D
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not like either one. The xB's front reminds me too much of the tC. I dunno, the curves, the lights, all of it. the xD looks ok but the front is not that hot. I think they should have stuck with the same straight lines of the current xB and made it look more aggressive from there.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cars.com
Time to get that paper route, kids — the next Scion xB is here. The boxy original helped spur widespread interest in the brand during Scion's 2003 launch, and by the looks of it, parent company Toyota doesn't want to mess with a good thing. The redesigned xB looks much like the iconic original; notable upgrades include a substantially larger engine and four additional airbags. Both updates should address the two biggest drawbacks of the previous xB: It was woefully underpowered and short on safety features.

With its new engine, the xB becomes a credible competitor for Honda's similarly styled Element. Unlike the Element, which can manage light off-roading, the xB does not offer all-wheel drive.

Exterior
Drawing cues from the t2B concept Scion displayed at the 2005 New York Auto Show, the four-door xB's face is a little more sloped than that of its predecessor. The headlights include distinct bezels, and a gill sits ahead of each bumper — an interesting touch, even if it's purely cosmetic.

In an effort to give the xB a smoother chassis and sportier road manners, Scion increased its wheelbase by four inches and its overall length by a foot. Ride height is 1 inch lower than the previous generation, and the wheels now measure 16 inches.

Interior
The xB's five-seat interior offers an abundance of storage and audio features. Thanks to the lengthened exterior, cargo room behind the second row is up to 29.1 cubic feet, which is 4 cubic feet more than the Element. A fixed tray under the rear seats can stow smaller items. A 60/40-split folding rear seat accommodates larger cargo, and the front seats fully recline for impromptu naps.

Up front, the center-mounted gauges include a trip computer displaying gas mileage, outside temperature and more. The standard six-speaker Pioneer stereo has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players, whose track lists display through the stereo's faceplate. An optional stereo upgrade includes a customizable faceplate that can show various images and even short video clips.

Standard features include remote keyless entry, air conditioning, steering-wheel audio controls, and power windows, door locks and mirrors.

Under the Hood
Toyota's workhorse 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. It makes 158 horsepower and 162 pounds-feet of torque, a healthy 53 percent increase over last year's 1.5-liter engine. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, while a four-speed automatic with a manual-shift provision is optional.

Safety
Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes, traction control and an electronic stability system are standard. So are six airbags, including side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for both rows.
From

More xB info
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by cars.com
Scion, Toyota's youth-marketed division, will see its fourth birthday in 2007. Appropriately, the brand has embarked on a hatchback switcheroo this year, redesigning its two entry-level cars. The funky xB goes upmarket, while the xA becomes the xD. It's an entry-level car meant to compete with the Honda Fit and other small hatchbacks, but thanks to an upgraded engine and more safety features, it isn't as basic as its predecessor.

Exterior
The xD is slightly less rounded than the xA, taking cues like a boxy grille and vertical bumper portals from the redesigned xB. Upscale touches include body-colored door trimmings and side mirrors with integrated turn signals. The headlights look similar to those on Toyota's RAV4.

Sixteen-inch wheels are standard. Three available wheel cover designs are shared with the xB.

Interior
The five-passenger interior includes a 60/40-split folding backseat that can recline 10 degrees and adjust 6 inches forward and back. A storage well sits below the cargo floor. Other places to stash things include a dual-compartment glove box and a tray below the steering wheel. On the dashboard, a single gauge integrates the tachometer and speedometer.

The xD's standard Pioneer stereo includes an auxiliary jack for MP3 players. It displays track listings, and drivers can adjust the volume or skip ahead using steering-wheel controls. An optional stereo upgrade includes a faceplate capable of displaying pictures and short video clips.

Standard features include remote keyless entry, air conditioning, and power windows, locks and mirrors.

Under the Hood
A 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. With its 128 horsepower, it offers a much-needed boost over the xA's 103-hp, 1.5-liter engine. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, while a four-speed automatic is optional.

Safety
Antilock brakes are standard, but they use a disc/drum setup, not the stronger four-wheel-disc type. Six standard airbags include side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for both rows. Traction control and an electronic stability system — uncommon in this segment — are combined as a stand-alone option.

More xD info
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why post the links for the new info, then quote them with two more posts?
Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionXBrent
Why post the links for the new info, then quote them with two more posts?
To post the info on two separate cars separately. People tend to see theres a long post and skim, and might not realize that the information is for two different vehicles.

Theres some pretty good information in there, like the video on the HU in the xB.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks Max...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Disappointing is an understatement. With the xD, they could have taken a chance and give us 2.0L with style like the Saturn Astra (Opel). xB could have been a similar car but with a bigger engine. Of well, maybe I'll buy a tC.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guamsilverbox671
IMO, this should have been the xA (xD). At least the 4-door hatch model of the yaris.
Ah HA! I knew it existed! I've seen one or two of these in person, but the dealers insist it doesn't exist!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm thanks for the info Max. Now just to see the pric and gas mileage and I will be rejoining the Scion family.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there going to be a sunroof option?????
Old 02-08-2007, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Can't help it. I took this pic, and made the new xB smaller and closer to our current xB.
Before

After
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Will we now miss out on the Auris or Blade?

With the xD and xB2 Toyota is closing the door on the possibility of getting the Auris and Blade in the states. This is not the first time cross-brand competition has prevented well designed JDM models from making it to the U.S. They screwed us with the Yaris 5-door (hopefully with the xA gone this will change), and now the Auris and Blade 1.8 and 2.4L respectively look questionable.
If Toyota would stop trying to design for a market segment (Matrix), and bring us more 2-box designs from Japan that actually appeal to that segment, they'd be much better off. They successfully market to that segment in Japan with the Netz network.....hello!

These two just strike of trying too hard to please.
They sold us what they told us was cool, and now they've changed the definition.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Someone should start a Like it or Hate it poll

I can say that I could come to terms to liking a girl for her personality, yeah right

But again, ugly is ugly and thank you Toyota for doing a half-**** job on the looks of the NEW Scion models. HEY who broke out the photochop!!!

Hey don't you guys think that the xd is trying to look like a HHR?

I think there was a reason why the 1st gen scion xb and xa was a success, we Americans like JDM styling. Don't you all think Europe and Asia has better looking cars?

I always thought TMS was high on crack when they thought of using SCION. You know how much harder it was to sell these cars that customers couldn't pronounce. Using "Scion" made a lot of my buyers think less of these cars. It was so lame how I had to convince many buyers it's a Toyota and that is not any less like a Lexus is to a Toyota.

Many I am the tard here in auto industry, but all I can say is that Scion has gotten uglier, no more of it's own personality, rather looks like it's copying the Honda Element / FJ Cruiser something. I give it Scion "F" for f'kin ugly and an "A" for Volkwagen for their fine looking cars that I would never buy.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HondAudio
Originally Posted by Guamsilverbox671
IMO, this should have been the xA (xD). At least the 4-door hatch model of the yaris.
Ah HA! I knew it existed! I've seen one or two of these in person, but the dealers insist it doesn't exist!
It doesn't exist here in the US. The US dont have a 4door hatchback Yaris. They should have it but they dont.

Quick Reply: 2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early