2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by cherryBox

I personally am disappointed that the new xB looks so much more (imo) generic american UUV. It seems much less modular, more 'hard-coded', and much less unique. I don't care for the way that the front grille is misaligned with the headlights, and I don't care for the complete asymmetry on the dash. To me, the front end and the dash seem more thrown together than thought out. I don't entirely 'mind' the car itself, and I think it's great that they gave it a healthy powerplant.

Above all else, I am disappointed that the new car will carry the xB designation. It feels like an insult.

It's sad to see the xB become deprecated by toyota. Still, I find it encouraging that the common thinking is that the classic will become a very sought-after collectible. I am trying to scoop up as many parts as i can right now. Basically anything on my 'pipe dream' list. I have a strong feeling that most things will be much harder to come by (or even find!) once the new 'box' comes out.
very well said...i couldn't agree more.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the 1st company that makes a kit that relocates thing as such would get my business. i think it looks much better.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
the 1st company that makes a kit that relocates thing as such would get my business. i think it looks much better.

^^^^ YES....

The sloping stock hood looks retarded.

-THE DON
Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't care for the way that the front grille is misaligned with the headlights,
This is just proof that they didn't look to the original xB for inspiration. They looked at this...

Had they at least TRIED to stay true to the OG xB, the grill would be between the headlights. It actually looks semi-OK in the pic above.

-THE DON
Old 02-09-2007, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by THE_DON
I don't care for the way that the front grille is misaligned with the headlights,
This is just proof that they didn't look to the original xB for inspiration. They looked at this...

Had they at least TRIED to stay true to the OG xB, the grill would be between the headlights. It actually looks semi-OK in the pic above.

-THE DON

absolutely
Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default FONE-IT-IN

[color=darkred]You know the 5 axis kit on the xb looks boring to the point of lame. I hope that a better Design comes ot for the xb.
But the xD kit is eally tight. The lip look dramatic, side addes style and the back is just sweet. To me the kit on the xD really brings out the style and character put into xD design. Sadly it looks like the they foned-it-in when it came to the xb kit. I mean it's kind of hard to see the kit. Aleaast you kind of get an idea with better wheels/tire and a nice color you could have a little (pimp) ride.[/color]
Old 02-10-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava

I personally am disappointed that the new xB looks so much more (imo) generic american UUV. It seems much less modular, more 'hard-coded', and much less unique. I don't care for the way that the front grille is misaligned with the headlights, and I don't care for the complete asymmetry on the dash. To me, the front end and the dash seem more thrown together than thought out. I don't entirely 'mind' the car itself, and I think it's great that they gave it a healthy powerplant.

Above all else, I am disappointed that the new car will carry the xB designation. It feels like an insult.

It's sad to see the xB become deprecated by toyota. Still, I find it encouraging that the common thinking is that the classic will become a very sought-after collectible. I am trying to scoop up as many parts as i can right now. Basically anything on my 'pipe dream' list. I have a strong feeling that most things will be much harder to come by (or even find!) once the new 'box' comes out.
very well said...i couldn't agree more.
So True. Scion should have stayed true to 3yr plan.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

-THE DON
oh man you mean they are trying to create a brand identity by keeping design elements the same among cars...those bastards...

-wC
Old 02-10-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

projector headlights for the new Xb???? and halogen headlight for the 2008 tc??? this is lol!

btw the new xb and xd looks cool!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for me the xd looks like a morph between xA and suzuki sx4 and will definetly love my 1st gen xb.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere

Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HOwever, if the grill get relocates, just realized that it would have to be non-functional or non-breathable, as sdust will go over the engine and does no purose of cooling the radiator.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early

Not even remotely spectacular.

Looks like an FJ and Isuzu Axiom crossbreed.

If these are the new 'scion" models, than just slap the Toyota logo on it and call it a day.

Bleeeccch

Originally Posted by AH-HA
Scion has given us permission to post these images, as they have already been leaked on Car and Driver and AutoBlog.
-- Darren

http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...ontiac-g8.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/07/c...-leaked-early/

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The Japanese bB, a.k.a. the Scion xB, put Scion on the map in the United States in 2003. However, its eensy size and eensier engine were definitely better suited to Toyota’s home market than ours, even though its bargain-basement price brought new meaning to the term “econobox”. And given that the Stateside success of the Scion brand is primarily attributable to the funky, highly customizable xB, Toyota saw to it that the first complete, ground-up redo of the bB/xB has us in mind, and thus bestowed it with newfound size and, more importantly, much more power.

Most striking about the new design are the thick C- and D-pillars and fender flares, both of which contribute to a much more muscular, substantial appearance. The tailgate actually has some roundness to it (!), whereas the previous model was as flat as Kansas on all sides. Also noteworthy is the front end, which features HID headlamps, air intakes on the outer corners of the bumpers (though we question their functionality) and—what’s this?—another take on Audi’s single-frame grille! Clearly, no car is safe from this trend.

More significant, however, is xB’s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD—the replacement for the previous xB’s platformmate, the xA—which has transitioned to the Yaris’ subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Like the xD, the xB will feature standard stability control and six standard air bags, as well as a 160-watt stereo with iPod connectivity, of course. 16-inch steel wheels with lovely plastic wheel covers are standard, though we expect that few of them will remain on xBs for long, given how many accessory wheels are available through Scion and the aftermarket. Scion’s line of accessories is expected to grow even longer now that the xB and xD have become more distinct, and thus will appeal to an even wider array of unique individuals for whom stock won’t do.
Originally Posted by AutoBlog
In a move that can only be deemed as stupid, lazy or incredibly devious, Car & Driver published images and information on Scion's redesigned xB and all-new xD more than a day and a half before the car's are scheduled to be debuted here in Chicago. The info went live last night but wasn't discovered until an industrious member of the ScionLife forum messed with the URL and found it.

First up is the new xB, which has grown in size thanks to leaving the platform it shared with the now defunct xA. Gone is the toaster-esque styling as well, replaced with a design that's still a box, though one with fender flares, a little more character in the front end and a thick C/D-pillar. It's also reported that the interior has been upgraded along with losing the not-loved center-mounted gauge pod. The xB will also share its powerplant with the tC now, which means a 2.4L four-cylinder generating 158 hp and 162 ft-lbs. of torque will be on tap to send power through a five-speed manual or four-seed automatic.

The xD is the new kid in the Scion camp, replacing the less well-received xA. It rides on the same platform as the Yaris, but is powered by the 128-hp, 1.8L four-cylinder found in the Corolla and Matrix. The xD will feature the same transmission choices as the new xB and send power to the front wheels only. The xD's styling shares the same thick C/D-pillar seen on the new xB, which appears to be a new Scion trademark styling cue. We'll leave judgment of the car's overall design to you, but will just say that it looks like a cross between a Camry and a JDM-market Mazda Verisa.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

some members of our club went up to chicago and in person its sweet but hey if i had a dollar everytime someone said the current box was ugly fugly whatever i could buy a few of them by now but to each thier own. i know scion researched what the current owners wanted to see as well as future owners so both models should sell just fine. well thats my opinion again and its just a statement i'm not looking to defend this or get into a spat over what scion is doing wrong etc...and i can't wait to see what scion has up its sleeve next!!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like the new ones better!!! :D
Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WheelSee

-THE DON
oh man you mean they are trying to create a brand identity by keeping design elements the same among cars...those bastards...

-wC
No... I mean they built a tC wagon. It is not true to the original xB AT ALL! I mean, it's not even "boxy" for god's sake! There is not one hard edge on the car. This is not a "redesign" of the box, it a new car (based on the tC) and it needs a new name.

-THE DON
Old 02-13-2007, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not boxy for you???? hm.. you think the last supra wad any of thos edges from the first celica supra??? the new vw golf had any of those edges from the first one???

word is changing. most of the ppl around me thinks the first Xb is ugly.. this one is better. and its still boxy!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have to side with the Don on this one.
Seems many tC users like the shape.... because it holds to a tC design theme.
With all due respect, I'm not a tC guy.
And actually the distance between the first golf and this year's model is irrelevant. From model to model you CAN track the evolution of the Golf... and the supra (thought less so)

The evolution from the first xB to this one is seems way off.
Almost ALL of the distinguishing characteristics have been killed.
Again look at the work done on the Beetle and the Miata. (not the look of the car, but the integrity the update gives to the last design)
No one is against change...They just want to see a bit more respect for the current shape.
I think Scion underestimated the loyalty of the current owners to their car.
This shape is an insult to it somehow...when it should be a tribute.

Surprising mistake from a company that seemed to "get it" so well
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For all of the tC lovers who also love the new xB, imagine this for a minute...

Next year they redesign the tC (keeping the same name) and give it a 103 hp Yaris engine, and make it smaller.... A LOT of tC owners would be crying foul and demanding that the name be changed... I mean, it's not a "tC" anymore, right?

That's how drastic the change was for xB owners. (Literally!) It's not a Tokyo style city-car anymore, it's something completely different. And people can disagree, but bigger is not always better. Faster is not always better. And softer lines and curves don't make it cooler or "edgy-er" or more youthful. It's a whole new car for a whole new market. In my opinion, it's a tC wagon, not an xB. The name should have been changed, just like the xA.

-THE DON
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I know what your saying...Like I said before...they should continue to sell both

Quick Reply: 2008 Scion xB & xD Photos Leaked One Day Early