Notices

2008 Supra? Looks Promising!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I don't care WHAT some Toyota veep said at some point in history, I GUARANTEE that someday Toyota will resurrect the Supra namesake. That name is just too valuable and cherished to let it collect dust.

Honestly, I think there are warring factions within Toyota... one side that is fighting for the Supra and one that is against it. On one hand Toyota is trying to become the greenest, most environmentally conscious auto company on the planet, but performance drives sales -- so they can't forget about the enthusiasts. Answer this, where does the new Tundra slot in their overall plan for treehugger pacification? It doesn't. The only way to compete with the big three is to build a BIG badass truck and bring back a high performance sports car. Americans like their Super Duties and their Hemis, as well as their priuiiii and their mopeds.

Mark my words, the return of the Supra WILL happen, the big question mark is WHEN.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Oh yeah, last thing... how many 350Zs, G35s, RX8s, Corvettes, Boxsters and Crossfires do you see on the streets? How can Toyota ignore that market?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what I can see in this mag, it said v6 will start at $30k.
stock !! If this is to happen here, I will sell my tc for the supra..

start saveing your $$$.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tom_P
Nice car. I like the hot Japanese girl on the cover too!
yeah! that girl is pretty cute...i wanna go to japan ang bring back one...just like buying a car
Old 02-17-2006, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default New Supra

I own an 87 Supra and have been fallowing the supra for some time. In the Grand Touring racing series Toyota has been racing the 98 modle supra for a long time, then Nissan released the 350 Z, and started to woop up on the Supras. Toyota decided to run the V8 in thoses supras, and realized that it was a better fit. I think that is why they decided to go with the V8. I am not sure that I like the 2 seater thing, Supras have always had 4, but that is the great thing about the Supra, it always releases the newest technologies, so I know it will be cool
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned
SL Member

OMG! that is hot... but i wonder why the LEXUS version of it has those cooling fans in the rear. I saw it up close at the LA car show.... The Toyota version omits those.. hmm? just curious. The LEXUS model has over 500hp, and will run 100k. The Toyota version, if at HALF that price or less, with a rear wheel drive is going to be a HOT seller. (I work for John Elway's Crown Toyota & Scion in Ontario, CA)
Old 02-17-2006, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want one!!!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I truely hope they offer different versions instead of just one hybrid model.
I for one wouldn't want to have a hybrid sports car... It defeats the purpose of a "sports car" @ the same time limits its maximum potential. For those people that buy a car and never do anything to it I can imagine a hybrid for that sector, but for the tuner people (which in my opinion would be the most interested in Supras) I believe they'd want to be able to customize/tune the car to their own flavor/style.
I vote for V8.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

they'll probably release it in several flavors of engine setup
v6 <-- base
v8 <-- "sport package" upgrade or Lexus version
hybrid <-- economy enthusiast edition for whatever
Old 02-17-2006, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like the looks of the car (definitly a Z killer) but if it really wants the old supra owners back it will need and TT I or V 6
Old 02-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Banned
SL Member

i can't agree that hybrid technology defeats the purpose of the sports car... for example, in the chevy trucks, they made a limited (100) amount of contractor's edition that are hybrid. this did not increase the gas milage by more than 1, but it allowed for more torque (towing), and also allowed power tools to be plugged in as it acted like a generator. In the Highlander Hybrid, you get 3.5L power and speed, from a 3.3L Hybrid system, that gives you the fuel economy of a 4 cylinder.

V6 engine, V8 power, 4cyl. fuel economy
Old 02-18-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hope it wont be a v8 supras are good no matter what it may make it heavier but itll allow more power!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after reading all this.. the one thing not addressed is this..

Will it be RWD? or AWD?
Old 02-18-2006, 10:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most likely it would be RWD. AWD increases weight and the price. Also the old supras had RWD
Old 02-18-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by R2D2
I for one wouldn't want to have a hybrid sports car... It defeats the purpose of a "sports car" @ the same time limits its maximum potential. For those people that buy a car and never do anything to it I can imagine a hybrid for that sector, but for the tuner people (which in my opinion would be the most interested in Supras) I believe they'd want to be able to customize/tune the car to their own flavor/style.
I vote for V8.
Get your facts striaght, you could have a 25 MPG Ferrari Stomping Planetary Gear Hybrid system. Or you could have a 12 MPG V8 that couldnt catch the hybrid even after modding.

Hybrids ARE the future of performance. Current hybrids are meant for gas efficiency and not performance. They are not planetary gear either.

Mazda also has a Hydrogen/Gas Hybrid Wankel Concept Minivan so you get with it!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone remember why the last supras died? wasn't it because of pricing? Well i think the same rule will apply to this one..
Old 02-19-2006, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the import scene has made a huge comeback since then. which is why mazda brought the rotary back and made an rx-8. The evolution, the wrx, the srt-4, ss cobalt. all made or brought here because the car scene has taken off again. plus they don't wanna sell 100,000 of them. they just wanna sell them to a niche market, who hasn't had anything to buy except the sc430....it'll probably do well.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by farberio
Originally Posted by R2D2
I vote for V8.
Get your facts striaght, you could have a 25 MPG Ferrari Stomping Planetary Gear Hybrid system. Or you could have a 12 MPG V8 that couldnt catch the hybrid even after modding.

Hybrids ARE the future of performance. Current hybrids are meant for gas efficiency and not performance. They are not planetary gear either.

Mazda also has a Hydrogen/Gas Hybrid Wankel Concept Minivan so you get with it!!!!
WTF..K?!?!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ & which facts are u refering 2 farberio?
I have yet to see a "hybrid" (electric/gas) "catch" a Ferrari ...(however i'm not discarding the possibility)...
Show me a +/-10 second (1/4 mile) Hybrid cause we all know for sure Supras can achieve those numbers.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
drh
5 Year Member

Default 08 supra

The Supra mkiv was discontinued by Toyota, as I remember, because Toyota did not want to invest in redesigning for side impact standards in the US. The car was continued in other countries for a few years beyond the 1997 model year sold in the US (the 1998 was left over 1997 cars.)

As for the authenticity of the previous pics from the Japanese mag, Perhaps the latest R&T will add support.

Quick Reply: 2008 Supra? Looks Promising!