Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default 2012 Toyota Concept 'Bridge Project'

CLICK THE IMAGE TO DISCUSS OR VIEW BIGGER IMAGE

Here is the press release about the project:

Student-Designed Vehicles Bridge Transitional Lifestyles

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., Jan. 8 -- Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. (TMS) and Calty Design Research, a Toyota design studio, have unveiled student-designed vehicle concepts as part of the Bridge Project, a Toyota-sponsored program for the College for Creative Studies (CCS) in Detroit, Mich. The student designs were formally presented in a special event at CCS today, coinciding with the Calty-designed debut of the next-generation Tundra full-size pickup and the FT-HS hybrid sports coupe concept at the North American International Automobile Show.

Launching in September 2005, the Bridge Project challenged CCS students to create a bridge vehicle to pull current Scion customers into the Toyota brand as they mature and experience lifestyle transitions. Twenty CCS juniors participated in the TMS- and Calty- sponsored project, which allowed students to develop a vehicle concept and strategy while infusing Toyota's key design principles dubbed Vibrant Clarity and J-factor.

"The need for a vehicle that moves us effortlessly into new life chapters was the challenge behind the Bridge Project," says Kevin Hunter, Calty vice president of design and studio operations. "Scion customers need the right Toyota vehicle as they grow into different life phases like marriage, family and employment."

The Bridge Project encouraged students to innovate a vehicle which could be introduced in 2012. While the Bridge Project was open to all vehicle segments, students were challenged to create a concept which took vehicle purpose, market influences and buyer demographics into consideration.

"The Bridge Project challenged our students to develop the right cars for transitional life phases," said Bryon Fitzpatrick, Paul and Helen Farago Chair of Transportation Design at CCS. "For more than a decade, we have partnered with Toyota on educational initiatives through sponsored projects and student internships which reflect their ongoing commitment to and support for design education."

For nearly 15 years, TMS and Calty have sponsored design education initiatives at premier design education institutions such as CCS and Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, Calif.

Student creations, including exterior clay models, research, sketches and illustrations, are available for viewing at College for Creative Studies, Walter B. Ford II Building, on January 8, 2007, from 2 - 4 p.m. Digital images available upon request.

About Calty Design Research

Headquartered in Newport Beach, California, Calty designs innovative Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicle concepts for the North American market. It was founded in 1973 in Southern California by Toyota, the first automotive company to recognize the importance of "California car culture" and its powerful influence on national trends. Recently, Calty has been credited with design contributions on the production versions of the Toyota Matrix, Avalon, Celica, FJ Cruiser and the 2007 Tundra. Calty has also created numerous motorshow concept vehicles, most recently the Toyota F3R, Scion FUSE, and t2B, Toyota FT-SX, and the Lexus LF-C sports coupe.

About The College for Creative Studies

The College for Creative Studies is one of the nation's leading arts education institutions. A private, fully accredited, four-year college, CCS offers Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees in advertising, animation and digital media, art education, communication design, crafts, fine arts, illustration, industrial design, interior design, and photography. CCS is credited with having the world's most recognized program in transportation design and for placing more graduates in automotive design than any other school. The College also offers non-credit visual arts courses through its Continuing Education programs and opportunities for youth through Community Arts Partnerships. CCS is located in Detroit's Cultural Center; where it provides a dynamic learning environment in which students explore issues of art and design and the culture in which they exist, while preparing for careers in the professional world. For more information, contact CCS at 313.664.7400 or visit www.ccscad.edu.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Suggestion: Transformer SUV/Van/Sedan/Truck (+ retractable bed area that transforms into rear SUV/Van type seating). Hybrid-Hydrogen powered, integrated mobile command center / workshop on wheels that can AWD off-road rally and drive 500+ miles on one tank and good towing capacity.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Please click the image to go to the topic about that particular concept, you may discuss the project in general in this topic.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+
(Frontend angles and headlights mixed with)
+
(Front & Midend, but keep the rear compartments integrated concept)
+
(Mid & Rearend that also doubles as a flatbed when the rear section is retracted)
Old 01-18-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do all of these have excessivly big wheels...i mean are all new toyotas gunna come stock on 22's....LOL Flippin sweet
I guess
Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Concept vehicles almost always have really big wheels.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

where are the transformers?
Old 01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still skeptical of these types of styles coming out. Manufacturers have been making concepts like this for years and we have yet to see anything like it.

We were supposed to have flying cars by now, as well.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:18 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
yeah wheres all these hoover boards at
Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default functionality

Do they all come together to form a space ship. We could all travel to outerspace together.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what a shame chances were given to some of these people who doesnt even understand toyota's design background

comon if i was given the chance to design something for toyota i would at least make try to make it look like a toyota...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

orange one iz nice. don b hatin'
Old 01-19-2007, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

look! it's a toon'd rolls phantom! ;]
- sh00k
Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member

Just a thought, but this concept Toyota is more inline to what may become reality.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

they all look like gummy bear thingies u wanna bite into
Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by intakeonly
what a shame chances were given to some of these people who doesnt even understand toyota's design background

comon if i was given the chance to design something for toyota i would at least make try to make it look like a toyota...
Maybe Toyota is looking to develop a new design language.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking at it again, they look like cars from that game San Fransisco Rush 2049

pics of them at this google image page:

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...rush+2049+cars

l0l0l0l
- sh00k
Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apparentley art students dont believe in the long hood design, they like bubbles?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still skeptical of these types of styles coming out. Manufacturers have been making concepts like this for years and we have yet to see anything like it.

hmm well i dont want you to hate me or anything....but last time i checked we do have flying cars....

they're called planes.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by stephen6119

hmm well i dont want you to hate me or anything....but last time i checked we do have flying cars....

they're called planes.

So would a Boeing 747 loaded with passengers qualify you for the carpool lane?

Quick Reply: 2012 Toyota Concept 'Bridge Project'