Notices

Does Scion need saving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bring us the next generation bB (gen 3)right when japan get it!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by jdgriswald
Originally Posted by tanakasan
Really, if Scion wants an immediate boost in sales, import the Open Deck. Already tooled, way cool and back to the bB/xB roots. Bam.
But not manufactured since '03/'04. We're really talking about moving forward.
That would be moving forward, as the states havent seen a compact pick up since the Subaru Brat in the early 80s.

From what i was told a couple years back by Scion Corp was that the Open Deck wouldnt pass safety regulations. Thats why it never made it over here.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

the brat made a comeback years later
Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member

It is obvious "something" is not right with Scion when you see very few redesigned xB's and the xD's on the streets. I have a 2005 xB and its design is still unique. The new xB looks "bloated" and is "blah." It is also over-priced. The xD should have never been created and the TC needs a total redesign. A agree with everyone, Scion needs some new, edgy ,never seen before designs not just bloated versions of earlier models.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I see Subaru no longer makes a Baha Edition. When I saw the OD, that's what I immediately thought of. Looks like 2006 was the last model year for it.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scions cool no saving needed but if they want to make some new models, more power to them.

They can start with something like this

Old 03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

oh yeah lambo doors now that new and fresh......

LMAO
Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Has Scion jumped the shark?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, all concepts will look awesome with headlights, rims, glass positions and body kits that will never see the production version due to cost and/or safety.

Just look at the Genesis coupe as a prime example:

Concept:

Pre-production representative:

Also, isn't the Fuse like a 3 year old concept now? It can at least tell Scion the doors haven't aged well so they can do a traditional or half-suicide door in the next concept.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
Has Scion jumped the shark?
In a word ... yes. Doesnt help that the economy is going down in flames, but making an average Joe car isnt helping.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dunno, for me it seems that Scion's line when it came out was the beginning of the current generation of cars, so they were edgy, small, efficient, and (in the case of the tC) reasonably powerful. They offered things like standard power windows, alloy wheels and moonroof stock on a 16k car, good radios, reasonable interiors, etc. however, since '04 everybody else has caught up: new Civic, new Golf/Rabbit, new GTi, Mazdaspeed3, new Mini, Cobalt, etc, plus a whole bunch of cars in the xA/xB range (Versa, Yaris, etc)... suddenly the Scion's weren't so unique anymore, and combine that with their 2nd gen cars not being very well received, increased prices, and it's no wonder that sales are slipping.

when I was shopping cars, it was down to the Mazda3 and the tC. now if/when I go car shopping, it'll be down to the Civic Si, GTi, Impreza Wagon, Rabit, Mini (both base and S), and possibly a slew of new cars that are possibly coming over in the next year/year and a half (Mazda2, Fiat 500 Abarth, new Alfa, etc).

lastly, I really, REALLY think scion needs to get off its ___ with regards to no performance models of any of the cars. I'm not going to go out, buy a new tC for 17g, buy the dealer installed SC for 4g, buy the suspension upgrades for 1200, and still have a vastly inferior car to the new GTi, turbo'd Mini, MS3, etc. Other manufacturers seem to be able to wring 100hp/liter out of small turbo engines, and Toyota's response has been to drop the 2.4 into everything it can get its hands on.

If Scion made THIS, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 2000lbs, 135 (or 150hp), sporty exterior/suspension. C'mon Toyota/Scion, don't fail me now!!

Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

as a tc owner we need something that comes turbo or s/c from the door. not as an option with the cobalt ss, saturn ion red line, and srt4, and i forget which mazda we need something fast. i know we could go get a trd s/c but its an option that puts down little power from the door, compared to these other cars. i personally would like a turbo engine in the tc from toyota
Old 03-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Default does Scion need saving

As a 2008 xB owner, still less than 700 miles, I like what Scion has done with its vehicles. As someone else has said they need a broader range, and they need to stay edgy. The main disappointment for me when I bought mine was that their performance options were mostly cosmetic. They need AWD to compete with Suzuki SX4, and either significant turbo or supercharger. Otherwise, if they come out with a fun AWD I'll buy an out of warrantee one and get it tuned up.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rooned it

I wasnt looking for a car in 04' when I saw an xB and had to have it. Because it was so unique. For 08 they dumped lard on it an pushed it into the herd. All Scion had to do was take the cool stuff Japan has already made and bring it over here. As Napoleon Dynamite would say - idiots!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Rooned it

I wasnt looking for a car in 04' when I saw an xB and had to have it. Because it was so unique. For 08 they dumped lard on it an pushed it into the herd. All Scion had to do was take the cool stuff Japan has already made and bring it over here. As Napoleon Dynamite would say - idiots!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO Scion needs a fourth model and also needs to change the tC a little.

Perhaps keep the tC's body style, but for the love of everything put a different motor and drop the weight some.

Scion had it right from the start, light weight cars, cheap, reliable that didnt need much power to keep up with general traffic. They to keep that same concept only adding a bit more performance to their engines, perhaps base it off the xd's 1.8l.

Maybe thats just me though.

But the lightweight edgy xb was replaced by a pig, the tC is a pig, the xD doesnt know what it is.

A cheap rwd coupe with 160-170hp i doubt will happen, can it be done? Look at the miata. But will it be done? I have my doubts.

But a rwd convertable with around 140-150hp that weighs around 2,500lbs with a pricetag of around 20k isnt far fetched and is possible, the problem is though it would be competing with the miata, and we know how successful that car is.

i dont know what scion is doing, or where it will be 4 years from now.

but they need a 4th model and to me, they need to stick to the lightweight concept for a steady base.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by puggo63
The new xB looks "bloated" and is "blah." It is also over-priced. The xD should have never been created and the TC needs a total redesign. A agree with everyone, Scion needs some new, edgy ,never seen before designs not just bloated versions of earlier models.
One thing i dont agreee with there is that the 08 xB isnt over priced it may not be edgy or near as eye catchting but it is a way better deal then the first gen xB, for just over a thousand dollars more then the first gen you get four more airbags, a larer engine, and its larger (not that thats good but it costs more money) Scion made way more money on the xB1 then the xB2. It really is an exceptional deal.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like my 08 XB. I like the greater comfort it affords me for my long commute. I like the versatility it grants via the interior space and Hatch entry. I like the curves it added to the body lines. I really like the protruding headlights. It's a well rounded car for a consumer who wants a little padding on their bleeding edge.

That being said, Scion should have released the XB2 as a different model. While it's similar in nature to the XB1 it's designed for a different purpose. And as they are now aware, it's attracting a different market than the original XB. When I think of their styles, the XB1 is very 80's in design. I want to wear black and red leather and listen to poorly mixed punk music. When I look at the XB2 I have this uncontrollable urge to go out and buy a Tommy Machinegun and wear pinstriped suites with a matching fedora.

If the XB1 would have been produced when I was shopping (as a new for 08 model with the same engine, etc) I would have purchased Mazda, Nissan, or Honda's subcompact vehicle. It just wouldn't have competed in a bang for buck arena with those cars - for someone like me.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciRunner
IMO, these three may save Scion (if priced right).

Daihatsu Copen ZZ(hey looks like a curvy Scion Hako)

Toyota iQ (it already has the Scion two letter naming convention)

Or this
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/10...hi-ct-concept/

I totally agree that SCION and/or Toyota should sell the First two models (I'm not feeling the Third model pic) those are bad ___. I agree that scion needs something like a conv./roadster model, but its profit margin wouldn't be much so its doubtful that we will see one. As to the Smart looking car I think I heard that Toyota was looking into making that model for the US, if it can price it right and there is demand.

I think any "sales problems" SCION may be having is mainly due to the downturn in the economy, which maybe a problem throughout the industry. Also I agree with some here that SCION should have given the xB2 a 2.0ltr engine and priced all new models a little better and priced the accessories a bit better.

Lets hope what ever Scion comes up with will be better.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly it is time to end the tC it is a great car but they need to move on. I think the problem is they don’t know what to move on to. Meanwhile those of us who purchased a tC are left waiting as more are sold and over saturate the market. One of the reasons I purchased an 07 tC was because I thought that Scion was only going to have each model for 3-4 years and stop. I guess not.

As for the xB2 and xD they are good cars, the problem is they are not unique enough to be a scion. No one is complaining about the cars or saying they are horrible we just expected more from scion than something we would see being sold as a Toyota product. We would have loved a repackaged JDM vehicle.

Quick Reply: Does Scion need saving?