Notices

Edmunds First Drive: Toyota Yaris

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt they planned the K20 to fit in the ... uh .. Fit, but consequently, it does. A Yaris with a 2ZZ-FE would scream! Heck, a Yaris with a 1ZZ-FE would really move.
That would be 2ZZ-GE (a 2ZZ with an FE head does not exist).
In fact, TMG built a concept vitz with the 2ZZ engine, and in japan a 150hp RS turbo version is available

Old 01-13-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And toyotas have many interchangeable parts, from engines to transmissions, to brakes and suspensions, at least up until about 2002. Cant speak for the newer models
Old 04-26-2006, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member

man i think it was smart to have the Yaris replace the echo, but i had no idea toyota would make a good idea turn sour. no 5 door hatch!?? what were they thinking!?? i dont think the 3 door hatch was a good idea, its too small and chubby, it looks like a puppy head on wheels. dont get me wrong when it gets modded up it'll look sweet but the 5 door hatch would make more sens for a car of this design. it balances the proportions if you know what i mean! and the interior! whats up with them giving us the cheaper materials?? i know its a econo-car, but have yall seen the interior of the foreign Yaris? they have steering wheel mounted controls, digital lcd speedometer and info, their stereo.. seriously, they look down on us americans too much. it gets me mad
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really hate to say this, but unless they bump up some of the features on the Yaris liftback for 2008, I think the liftback will be a flop.

Many of the options that I want are not available on the liftback. I can get them if I opt for the sedan.

Some examples of items avaialbe on the sedan but not the hatch are a tach, an engine immobilizer and a cruise option. I've heard reports that dealers aren't offering the Rostra cruise control on the liftback, but are on the sedan.

How hard would it have been to add these things to the liftback? These could be the difference between me buying a Yaris for my wife, and looking elsewhere.

It just seems odd that Toyota offers all kinds of premium features such as power wondows and locks; ABS; TRD items; MP3/CD player with AUX jack; but doesn't offer an item as simple as a tachometer? What gives? No love for the liftback?

How frustrating.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I like the Yaris. Hopefully someone comes along with JDM accessories for it. Belta (JDM Yaris Sedan) parts and Yaris Liftback parts. Can't wait to see what comes along!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the hatch weighs 15 pounds more than the sedan in manual trim , and 35 pounds more than the sedan n automatic trim.....
Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by JUMBO

What I wish we had on the Scions was that sweet electric power steering set up. That fuel economy is rocking on the Yaris, and that seems to be a big portion of the reason. That and a slippery coefficient of drag.

LATER
it's neither of those. those two things account for perhaps 1 maybe 2 mpg. the difference is the manuals in the yaris use old echo gearing which is lower rpm , slower accel , versus teh scions which are higher rpm and much quicker accelleration. the almost 200 pound heavier xB kills a yaris sedan 5 speed the lightests yaris by a buttload.