Notices

Lexus GT500 Gets Green Light at $170,000

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And the people with insecurities that buy a brand for just the image start popping up....................
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i feel you on that i rather have a lambo bently astin martin slr benz or bugoti.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

oh did i forget the m3 or m5 bmw
Old 03-09-2006, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Whoa thats a lot!
Old 03-09-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i know huh. so many cars so little money
Old 03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TcDepo
why do u need a car with 725hp where are u gonna go that fast...u think chicks would find a vette more attrative then a bentley or lambo which u rarely see on the road...**** Corvettes or that LeXus... the corvette zo6 ur talkin about maybe be fast....but they dont got that badge or name in the front that say Lamborghini or Bentley
1. Why do YOU need all of the HP in a Bently or Lamborghini and where are YOU going to drive that fast?
2. I don't care what chicks think is hot because at the end of the day I am parking my favorite car, which is as rare as a Lamborghini or Bently, in my garage.
3. At the end of my comment, I wrote "but to each their own", meaning that I would buy the Lingenfelter if I had the money. Therefore, you have no right to argue my preference.
Regards,
-Matt
Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charade_Detomasso
And the people with insecurities that buy a brand for just the image start popping up....................
x2
Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

since i cant' t afford to buy one of those beauty i wont hate lol
Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

i just dont think it's worth payin $170,000 for a lexus
over a bentley...

for example u heard of the VW Phaeton right its a beautiful car it on a bentley chassis and it drive incredible at it starts at $63,000 now would you ever spend $63,000 on a VW even thou its made by bentley engineers... or would u rather spend the $63,000 on the Mercedez Benz CLS500 see what i'm tryin to say....u might not understand
Old 03-09-2006, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

At that price I'd rather have a tC

LOL
Old 03-09-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$170,000...
Oh wait... I believe they're serious about that price..
I agree with some statements about if we had that amount to spend we'd likely go with other options (Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls, Benzos, etc...), not because of insecurities, but because that IS their market niche and those brands are well known for that price range.
In my personal opinion, it seems as though the frontend styling is too conservative to truely be an exotic (however the backside is the definition of it). In a more recent photo (specifically the top blue version):
The frontend just seems too similar to the IS250/350 which is a truely nice car,
but this car ^ doesn't have enough WOW! factor for $170,000 worth.
I have confidence that with minor tweaks here & there it is possible though.
Good Luck Toyota
Old 03-09-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I think the new Lexus looks like a super car sketch from 1985 or somthing. The front end just doesn't do anything for me. And I agree with those about paying $170,000 for a Lexus. Ford announced in early February that they were dropping the GT, priced at $150,000. I feel that certain auto companies have the niche market for supercars, ex. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maseratti, Bugatti, Porsche... When you think of super exotics, you dont think of Lexus. Yeah, they are trying, but Pepsi also tried with Crystal Pepsi and look where that is. But while we're on exotics, check out the Bugatti Veyron: 1001 hp, pretty much hand-made, limited run, and a price tag of $1 mil+ if you can find one. Or, the Ferrari FXX or "Super Enzo". Those are super cars. By Lexus tagging this new model as "super" they are shooting theirself in the foot. It's not "super" and it's $170,000, which is econo pricing for a "high" end sports car. The Mercedes SL65 AMG is right at $180,000, and it's not even taged as "super" because they have/had the SLR at $450,000. There's just a point when you try to hard, and Lexus is proving it.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The modified supras and skyline GT-Rs have been busting the so called "supercars" chops for more than a decade performancewise. This is supposed to be a representation of the companie's F1 participation, I highly doubt it'd dissapoint. Not to mention, since this car was first previewed, they stated that the target weight is sub 1300kg (~2800lbs), and the suspension is being tuned by the masters of Handling, lotus.
If the car has the right performance (and if they did something about how it looks in the front---or if it was just that fast) I'd pay $170k for it.
I'd never buy a car soley for the badge on the front, that is complete and utter BS, evidence of insecurities and in many cases small weiners. I'd rather buy it cause it was unique, and this car being a low volume car, I think its guaranteed to be relatively rare, but this would be only if I was looking for a reason other than that I like it.
I know that if toyota/lexus wants this car to outperform its competition (ford GT, Gallardo etc) the way it should, they will.
Nobody here has the right to tell toyota what price they should sell it for, if you cant afford it, or dont like dont f'kin hate on it, just dont buy it...it wasnt meant for you. Lexus has always been about being a little understated, and though this is a swing out of left field for them, i'm sure that its "not quite the supercar" looks is part of that. Suppose this car outperforms everything in every aspect in its pricerange, would u still buy a lambo (audi) or a bently (volkswagen)?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just dont think it's worth payin $170,000 for a lexus
over a bentley...

for example u heard of the VW Phaeton right its a beautiful car it on a bentley chassis and it drive incredible at it starts at $63,000 now would you ever spend $63,000 on a VW even thou its made by bentley engineers... or would u rather spend the $63,000 on the Mercedez Benz CLS500 see what i'm tryin to say....u might not understand
Now, you are getting things confused, the Bently was built on the phaeton chassis

VW owns bently as well as has many dealings in Porsche, and being part of the VAG group, Audi and hence it could be said Lamborghini too.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

VW OWNS/Builds

Bugatti<----fastest car in the world

Lamborghini

Porshe

Bentley

Audi

SKoda
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

You know, someone said "would you rather be seen in a Bentley or a Lambo or a Lexus?" and I guess the answer to that question is "do you mean on the street or at the shop?". Based upon Lexus' legendary build quality, I would imagine that it will DESTROY them in the reliability department.

I prefer my supercars to start when I ask them to.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned
SL Member

u gotta b on crack to think that.. lambo,ferrari,bentleys all those cars are made by the BEST ENGINEERS in the world...when it comes to high end cars they dont **** around..and plus to own 1 you are either a multi-millianaire or Billionarie u think they care about payin 200 bucks for a oil change on a ferrari...or repairs whihc i highly dout they are unrelieable...

European cars are known for being the fastest and best Exotic/supercars in the world. they are simply made for speed/auto bahn..they are built alot stronger for it

A ferrari will always b a Ferrari

A Lamborghini will always b Lamborghini

A bentley will always b a Bentley end of story
Old 03-10-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seeing the Bugatti name reminded me of something. The Veyron has a HP gauge that will peg at 1001HP. I think I'll put one of those in my tC that pegs at 160 (if I'm lucky)...and maybe a retractable spoiler

In all seriousness though, I'm anxious to see what the consumer response is to the GT. I think that Lexus will have to pull a rabbit out of their hat in order make a name for themselves in the supercar world. However, they do have the reliability that other manufacturors lack which may help their cause. And no TcDepo, I'm not on crack or any other of your drugs of choice when I wrote this. I hope that Lexus can break though into the supercar world, regardless of what others say, because Toyota/Lexus has the capability of being a true contender in the business.

Regards,
-Matt
Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u gotta b on crack to think that.. lambo,ferrari,bentleys all those cars are made by the BEST ENGINEERS in the world...when it comes to high end cars they dont **** around..and plus to own 1 you are either a multi-millianaire or Billionarie u think they care about payin 200 bucks for a oil change on a ferrari...or repairs whihc i highly dout they are unrelieable...

European cars are known for being the fastest and best Exotic/supercars in the world. they are simply made for speed/auto bahn..they are built alot stronger for it

A ferrari will always b a Ferrari

A Lamborghini will always b Lamborghini

A bentley will always b a Bentley end of story
So you would be suggesting chimps and baboons work in toyota/lexus' engineering departments?

If you were a millionaire you might just be not that image conscious and worry about what people see you in. You might also get ____ed that your weekend toy won't start when you want to go for a joy ride........."damn ferrari wont start...I guess i'll take the Lambo.. " (and for the record until Audi took over lambo, joy o joy to have to live with one when it broke down). I could name a lot of european cars that cant take a trashing..cause they are not built that great, but I won't as that'd just make me look like the closed minded idiot you are. Europeans build great cars, some of the best ever infact, and I have a great deal of respect for them. That however, does not mean they are infallible, nor does it mean that Japan can't one up them in some way. Open up your mind to the world man, this is the 21st century

And for the record, a car won't always be a car just cause it has the name and the badge. If you knew anything about cars, you'd see the huge difference in what a Lambo is today, than what it was before audi stepped into the picture (in this case it actually wasnt such a bad thing).

For the record also, VW doesnt "own" porsche, nor lamborghini for that matter. All are heavily intertwined business wise, yes, but get your facts straight.
...oh yeah, you forgot Seat..... know it all
Old 03-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Banned
SL Member

how can u say ferrari and lambos are unrelieablile..have u owned one???
only cause u dont see them in CR doesn't mean they are unreliable...cause they dont selll a lot

if they come out with this car it wont sell thats for damn sure cause people aren't gonna pay that much for a lexus...u have to understand people are dumb they aren't car ethisants like us they are gonna to perfer a high end name brand... A legacy name brand

Quick Reply: Lexus GT500 Gets Green Light at $170,000