Notices

NHTSA 2006 Crash and Rollover Tests

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member

As is the case with much of what we read/hear, the rollover ratings must be put in context.

Yes, at 18 percent the xB has the worst rating in the passenger car category. But, what else should we expect from what is probably the tallest of the so-called 'cars'?

By comparison, those vehicles classified as 'SUVs' run from 14 through 25 percent in rollover probability, the Chevrolet HHR being the lowest. 'Vans' run from 13-30 percent.

By the way, the Honda Element has not been rated.

So, if one compares our category-defying xB to all vehicles, the 18 percent isn't quite as bad as it seems.

To view a chart of the NHTSA info, go to http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa0306.htm
Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahhhh... too cute... the xB in the picture above looks like it's just sleeping.

But seriously, people used to ask me all the time about the TJ (newest model)Wrangler and its rollover rate. "Aren't they easy to roll?" Jeep had specifically widened the wheelbase on the YJs and TJs just to address this issue that gave the CJs such a bad rap. (I had a CJ as well.)
I told them that a drunken teenager could roll ANY vehicle.

The main problem with those was cutting the steering wheel back and forth like you might do in an accident avoidance manuever. I'm sure you could probably get the thing to roll that way. But I could take that Jeep around curves like nobody's business (especially using the techniques I learned from autocrossing and road courses.... don't try this at home) I expect the xB will be even better than the Jeep in that respect. So just drive it and try not to hit any curbs <G>

Tim
Old 06-02-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've heard of at least 2 boxes hit by cars going in excess of 80mph, rolling the boxes, and everyone coming out w/only minor scrapes and bruises. The other thing in common with these two wrecks, not a single window in either box was busted.

Why in the world would that accident up there be a total loss? There's about 2-3k worth of paint and body work, and there shouldn't be a bit of frame damage, it just looks like the side on the ground would be scratched and dented.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TomTom
As is the case with much of what we read/hear, the rollover ratings must be put in context.

Yes, at 18 percent the xB has the worst rating in the passenger car category. But, what else should we expect from what is probably the tallest of the so-called 'cars'?

By comparison, those vehicles classified as 'SUVs' run from 14 through 25 percent in rollover probability, the Chevrolet HHR being the lowest. 'Vans' run from 13-30 percent.

By the way, the Honda Element has not been rated.

So, if one compares our category-defying xB to all vehicles, the 18 percent isn't quite as bad as it seems.

To view a chart of the NHTSA info, go to http://www.dot.gov/affairs/nhtsa0306.htm
I was going to mention this. So the SSR is considered an SUV but he xB is still a passenger car? I wonder what the qualifiers are? EPA ratings for interior volume and weight?

I'm not worried about my xB rolling at all.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah that xB looks like its sleeping. It looks like it isn't a total loss. So is the xB safe? From evry1 else's opinion.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got any better pics of the left side of that rollover? The door looks like it was hit really low as the top of the door still looks like a perfect fit and no broken glass. I'd say the box held up to that impact pretty well. Almost looks like the tow truck was having some fun and stuck his arm underneath the frame and flipped it. If your right side wheels were right up against the curb and you got smacked while waiting for the light to change the wheels/tires would have no where to slide to and that may have caused the Box to flip pretty easily.

Ok, That's not funny. Sorry to see the Box laying like that, but in a way it actually looks kinda peaceful!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sunbeam---OUCH!! See a lawyer (read pain suffering-suffering pain). Buy a new box and fix the old one with the procedes...............
Old 06-02-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what impresses me is that the body didn't flex enough to even pop out the windowz...rather sturdy me thinks..

member of the 2 box club
Old 06-02-2006, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member

Im not allowed to discuss the accident per my lawyer. I called my claim dept she thinks its over $7000 damage. I moved the car away
from their body shop now I'm hearing from my auto shop that they are trying to be cheap. I moved the car because my insurance and their auto shop keep telling me lies! When i went to their auto shop it seemed like he had 20 cars (like older junkie cars) that looked like they have been sitting there for months and all his workers looked like they were still in high school.
I have a lawyer and doctor just waiting to hear what going to happen.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You can take your car to any shop you like for repair. Sometimes you get a better guaranty on work if you use an approved shop, but if you have a shop you trust you can use them. You are approaching half the value, so it may be a total. Make sure they don't try to lowball you on the replacement price if it comes to that. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lucky that you are in Cali. Great body and paint shops are like Starbucks there.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I autox my box so I will get any higher chance or roll over?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since you autox and got the proper suspension, then I highly doubt it prolly drops the percentage to > 7%. By proper suspension , I meant coilovers...
Old 06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The data looks a little shady, it says our cars have all wheel drive.