Notices

The Quickest Cars of 2007: Less Than $20,000 -tC 5th place

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang whys the accord get so much better gas ? its only a few more but it adds up. its heavier too.........wth.......

the tiburon isnt too eye grabing. v6 and low specs (hp mpg weight)

and whats body roll? im not much of a car person.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

body roll is the amount of roll that the car goes through when turning. stiffer springs keeps the car at a more level field when turning which cuts down on body roll.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont notice THAT much body roll. owell i guess coming from an old camry anything newer felt better.i guess these american cars have better springs?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrussell98003
Originally Posted by Zebman
Man... it's Car and Driver. They hate japanese products.
Um...are you joking? Do you read Car and Driver? They love many Japanese products, in particular those made by Honda... If they hate anything, it's American cars...
+1. They love their Honda's and BMW's. They bash i-drive more than anything else yet they almost always win their comparisions. You could have to push start either of those cars and they would still pick them.

tvdang - The Accord mileage is due to gearing. There are several ways to make a car faster. Shorter gearing, lower weight, higher power. The tC went with short gearing to overcome the high weight and average power. The Accord is a family car so they are less concerned with going fast and more into comfort. If you wanted fast you would get the Civic Si.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 AM

They're pretty commonplace around here too (southern NY/northern NJ).
Old 08-28-2007, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wasnt really talking about faster. i was just saying how the accord weighs more ,has about the same hp ,but yet gets more mpg. wish toyota engineered its engine like that.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

edit
Old 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by caranddriver
Except on the west coast, the tC remains a relative rarity, which is cool. But its true potential will be realized only after its struts and springs have spent a couple months in TRD boot camp.
they need to come to Miami where tCs are common place[/quote]

Yea seriously I dnt know where they get that idea that Tc's are only seen on the west coast...Down here in Miami I see them all over
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tvdang7
i wasnt really talking about faster. i was just saying how the accord weighs more ,has about the same hp ,but yet gets more mpg. wish toyota engineered its engine like that.
Toyota does. It's called the Camry. Basically the same engine. More weight. Better gas mileage. Different gearing.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RICANTC
Except on the west coast, the tC remains a relative rarity, which is cool. But its true potential will be realized only after its struts and springs have spent a couple months in TRD boot camp.
they need to come to Miami where tCs are common place
Yea seriously I dnt know where they get that idea that Tc's are only seen on the west coast...Down here in Miami I see them all over[/quote]

And they should come to my city... everywhere I go now I always see tC's, it drives me crazy... at least mine is unique....
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

too bad the cobalt supercharged will no longer be avaiable until they change it to meet emission standards..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did anyone catch that the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS and Pontiac G5 GT had a timed speed to 120 and the governer was 118?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its all about gearing. Short gearing gets better acceleration, lower top speed, and worse mileage. Taller gearing does the opposite.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can understand that but looking at the specs for the camry engine...... our mpg rating is about the same as the camry so something isnt too right. check it ur self.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html
Old 08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree on them about the body roll and I don't agree on the mustang at all! I raced a Mustang GT (friend's special rental car) with 670miles & A/T on it actually is one slow car considering it's a V8 and FR, I get the advantage on launch till I hit 5900RPM on 3thgear just as I shift to 4th it only beat me by a car length after about 1/10 mile after 4th...

If only car and driver tested a tC with an STS and TRD clutch - maybe it could have made a 7second flat 0-60. and also with the TRD suspension, they wouldn't have to complain too...
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i can understand that but looking at the specs for the camry engine...... our mpg rating is about the same as the camry so something isnt too right. check it ur self.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html
Thats not entirely correct. The EPA changed the rating system for the 2008 models to account for higher speed driving and A/C use. I didnt look up the actual gear ratios but I would guess the tC has shorter gears than both of them.

For 2007 models
Camry CE w/5 speed and 2.4 I4 - 24/34
Accord EX w/5 speed and 2.4 I4 - 26/34
tC w/5 speed and 2.4 I4 - 23/30

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...03538&v=m12146
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who cares the tC wasn't the fastest, it wasn't built for that....well at least in the stock form. Thats the reason why the Scion marketers list them as upgrade options for the people that want it to be faster. With the proven Camry engine, it will be more reliable than the others. I see the tC as a affordable G35 for young people. Stylish and easy on the pocket. If they really wanted to push the tC, they need to retest it with the full TRD setup instead of the stock form which is made for everyday comfort. This article is retarded IMO
Old 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People need to quit complaining about the test being unfair. The test was among the fastest car for under 20k dollars from different marques. I wouldn't say that an Altima 2.5S is a sports car. If speed is your absolute top priority but your budget is 20k, a V6 Mustang is not a bad choice. For one, it's got a proper drive train layout.

Other than that, look at what beats the tC... two cars with ____ poor quality control and two cars that start at 1 to 2k more than the tC and come less equipped. The tC is a middler of the pack, featuring a good mix of the both ends of the spectrum just like Toyota has been doing it since the mid to late 80s.

If you bought a tC to stand out, as coastal suburban dwellers know, the tC just will not do that. And it won't do so in this test (unless you start to mod it but then your car is going to be different, regardless.)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Camry gets better mileage because of its rim size, it has 16"s... It should get worst MPGs than us if they use larger rims since it's already heavy at 3300lbs, also it has an advantage from the ECM- it is tuned for better fuel eco and the bit taller gearing helped it out on HWY MPG...

THE L4 Camrys couldn't beat stick IS300s could they???
Old 08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by lufoxe
Originally Posted by trentonm
even if it wasnt the s\c cobalt, its still the performance model. Not top of the line, but not base line like they tested the tc...
But that's the problem with a car being mono-spec. There is no performance tC unless you buy the accessories OR tune it yourself, the cobalt SS can be bought like that.

they need to come to Miami where tCs are common place
and here in NY tC's are all over the place!

Quick Reply: The Quickest Cars of 2007: Less Than $20,000 -tC 5th place