Rumored 400-500 Scion tC Tuner Editions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by io333
What I would actually buy IN ADDITION to my current, beloved well equipped tC:

A totally stripped car, metal roof, no sound insulation, no carpeting, no power *anything* not even power windows, no radio. Supercharger standard. Take the warranty down to 6 months 6000 miles to reduce cost. Leave the back seat though -- it can always be ripped out, but it's nice to have once ina while. Sell it for about $13K. I'd buy one just to complement my fully equipped cushy tC.
After reading through some more thoughts after I posted the above, yea i agree skip the supercharger. And ditch the warranty completely. And then take out every damn part necessary to bring the price down to $9999. As far as the roof, to make it really a super inexpensive redesign (i.e., cost would be zero) (and LIGHT), just make an abs plastic overlay -- the same stuff the bumpers are made out of. Color? Just make it non-metallic non-clearcoat grey. Real paint that "looks like primer."
Old 02-22-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and I like the idea about taking out the ABS too. ABS is overrated and personally I don't like it. (I have about 25 years of (hard) driving experience to base this opinion on.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

if they pay attention to some thoughts on these 4 pages before putting this into production, it might turn out ok
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

thats all the darker look front end is!?

they should just stick the RS1 grills in there.
it would still keep them limited.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i think this is a great idea in theory, we wil have to see what scion finalizes to make this sucessful tho.....i do not think what they have removed is in anyway shape or form , "tuner" ... i DO however agree, if you are going to START removing parts, make it worth while...take off enuff to make the car right at 10 grand, give it like a 5000 mile warranty, and then let the "tuners" go to town.....

this is QUITE a unique idea, and props to Scion for BARE MINIMUM adressing cuurent trends in the marketplace...while not everyone agrees w it, u MUST agree that this is def another step by scion int he right direction

however, i do know that subaru sells a similar style wrx, w no AC, a vent on the roof, etc...to save weight...it is sorta a tuner edition, but its marketed towards someone who wants to race the car ALL the time...that is NOT what this is for, this is for ***** who weekend race, or who dont care for the amenities inccluded w the stock package....

what the hell is the name of the wrx model? anyone?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good idea....gone wrong

they should have called it the base model tc not the tuner tc

i agree with everyone else. you want to make a tuner tc, no radio, no power anything , no a/c, no backseats etc etc.....

damn you scion.....damn you
Old 02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I sent a link to this thread out to regional who will hopefully forward it to national. As I said before, I think they need to see this...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by Beantowntc
good idea....gone wrong

they should have called it the base model tc not the tuner tc

i agree with everyone else. you want to make a tuner tc, no radio, no power anything , no a/c, no backseats etc etc.....

damn you scion.....damn you
its not out yet,not even in production
it could turn around for the best
Old 02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Questions I've been pondering when thinking of a "Tuner tC" concept:
1. What are we trying to accomplish with the "Tuner tC"?
2. How far into "tuner" are they willing to go?
3. What basics are essential?
4. What coverage should/will be provided?
5. Overall costs..
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

This no power, no a/c etc stuff is WAY OFF.

No one is going to buy a car with out that crap for a daily driver. a TUNER CAR. not a TRACK ONLY car. No one wants to drive a car with no ac. Windows you blow out a rotator cuff rolling down. When your car is 130 Degrees inside, and its 110 degrees outside you are going to want that ac. What Fuktard would want a tC without a back seat?
Why don't they just Put one seat in it all together. WHo needs carpet?. Screw Glass. Get some lexene glass and Door locks? WTF we need those for? Real men dukes of hazzard it....

Seriously guys. A tuner car and a Drag/track only car are two totallydifferent things.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Team ScioNRG
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Originally Posted by R2D2
Questions I've been pondering when thinking of a "Tuner tC" concept:
1. What are we trying to accomplish with the "Tuner tC"?
2. How far into "tuner" are they willing to go?
3. What basics are essential?
4. What coverage should/will be provided?
5. Overall costs..
1.A new form/trend of "build it yourself", maybe?
2.Not to the extreme--basic
3.A shell/motor/frame
4.Possibly same as basic now
5.Looking to cut price by $1500,not much more
Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT

No one is going to buy a car with out that crap for a daily driver. a TUNER CAR. not a TRACK ONLY car. No one wants to drive a car with no ac. Windows you blow out a rotator cuff rolling down. When your car is 130 Degrees inside, and its 110 degrees outside you are going to want that ac. What Fuktard would want a tC without a back seat?
Why don't they just Put one seat in it all together. WHo needs carpet?. Screw Glass. Get some lexene glass and Door locks? WTF we need those for? Real men dukes of hazzard it....

Seriously guys. A tuner car and a Drag/track only car are two totallydifferent things.
yea!! thank you T
Old 02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT

You make a very good point. I thinks everyone has different definitions of what a "tuner car " is. Some people think it is a simple stock appearing car that ticks off 12 second runs all day. Some thinks its the crazy tc at hin with the funky paint job that gives little kids seizures. We all "tune" for different reasons and scion needs to define what a tuner car is too them, then maybe this will all make sense..... The varying definitions of tuner car may be the reason why the changes are so suttle... imo of course
Old 02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

timmy T, please watch the language bro

and you guys are TOTALLY misisng the point!

a tuner car is def diff from a track car....but i have no a/c in my TUNER civic, alot of guys who rock turboed civics w no a/c

a track car is just that, made for the track , no interior at all, most of the time, no radio, NO a/c, etc....

scion is tapping into a market that almost no other car manf is , why dont u go drink another glas sof HATERaide...lol...they are only making what, 500? dont buy one....i guarantee u there are 500 people out there that would buy this, IF its a good base for a track / tuner car....

now a DRAG car, thaaaaats a whole diff story
Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Tuner Car.

Lets break down those 2 words.
First and most obvious "Car" If you don't know the meaning of that word. Then may whom ever you pray to have mercy on your soul.

Its a car. Something you drive. If you can't drive your car comfortably and enjoy driving your car on a daily basis then you didn't buy the right car. I garuntee you NO ONE enjoys driving a car with no ac in triple digit weather. And if you are going to buy a Tuner tC for a project car Then just read my previous post. Put one seat in it. Lexene glass. No ac, no power steering. no alternator, no airbags.

the nest word "Tuner" Base word "tune"
No where in the definition of the word "tune" Does it say anything about gutting.

All the "tuner" civics out there have no a/c because they tuned and are rocking Base DX civics that didn't come with ac to begin with.

The entire thing with this "Tuner tC" is that with all the stuff they are removing, and if they do impliment some of the suggestions here. You save a whopping 1500 bucks off of base price. Sorry but 1500 bucks isn't gonna buy you a nice set of wheels/tires.

This "tuner tc" is nothing but a gutted tC that will not perform better stock for stock significanlty than a normal tC. and you save 1500 bucks.

The most impressive "Tuner Cars" out there run 12 seconds in a quarter with Air conditioned comfort and having a nice chilled beverage waiting in the cup holder after the run.

P.S. If anything in any of my posts offended anyone, that was not my intent and I apologize.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hey, i got a nice set set of wheels and tires for 1k....
Old 02-22-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm... I have a few Ideas on this... dear scion (haha)

1. First could you make a cast iron block for all the "tuner" tC editions
2. Instead of glass roof, maybe plexiglass?? That way nothing realy has to be changed in the build process.
3. Install a Quaife LSD!
4. Remove some sound deadening material where its not needed and make the seats thinner/lighter.
5. Take off/remove allow wheels

I would then say lower the price the same amount, $1500 or so, then have accessories/options such as a TRD supercharger upgrade with low compression heads (like 8.5) as a $3500 to $4500 dollar option that you would have to order with the car. If you don't get this option, then 10.5 compression heads stock.

That would be one sweet "tuner" tC. All the options everyone wants without all the weight. Plus so many more options we as tuners have in customizing. Just my .02... more like .10 but yeah... what do you all think about that idea, limited production still of course... it would be great, like the RS 2.5 could be the name or something haha...

Stephen
Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tuner car n. a stock or factory-default automobile with, or suitable for, aftermarket modifications (to enhance speed, power, or style).

i mean i know your such an expert w this comment...lol

The most impressive "Tuner Cars" out there run 12 seconds in a quarter with Air conditioned comfort and having a nice chilled beverage waiting in the cup holder after the run.
im sorry of you think thats tru....

All the "tuner" civics out there have no a/c because they tuned and are rocking Base DX civics that didn't come with ac to begin with.
incorrect, this further shows that you know little to nothing about cars...the reason they have NO a/c is due to the turbo mani is in the front, and the a/c compressor and fan simply cannot fit

the nest word "Tuner" Base word "tune"
No where in the definition of the word "tune" Does it say anything about gutting.
wrong again...yes , the PROCESS of TUNING a car has NOTHING to do w gutting the interior, however, if your tuning a car on a dyno, whiiich is what TUNING means, then your ride is probably gutted already, or has SOME weight reduction plans in the near future...dont get me wrong u CAN tune it without gutting, by all means .. but whats the fun in THAT? save a few lbs, get rid of that back seat!

Its a car. Something you drive. If you can't drive your car comfortably and enjoy driving your car on a daily basis then you didn't buy the right car. I garuntee you NO ONE enjoys driving a car with no ac in triple digit weather.
then go for a tuner STYLE car....trust me..there are some tuner cars out there w a/c yada yada, but the TRUE enthusiast, and the TRUEST form of a TUNER car...has NO a/c , saves weight ANYWAY possible, PERIOD....that is the ESSENCE of tuning my friend

This "tuner tc" is nothing but a gutted tC that will not perform better stock for stock significanlty than a normal tC. and you save 1500 bucks.
cool, something i agree with...all i was stating was that scion is headed in the right direction...look at the WRX TR (tuner READY) wrx...yes it comes w a/c , yada yada, but its ALSO a 24 thousand dollar car still...(well thats what it lists at on the subaru site) but, scion is just addressing the market trends...some people will eat this up, even in its current state of weight reduction to price drop ratio .. lol

P.S. If anything in any of my posts offended anyone, that was not my intent and I apologize.
your good doode, this is just a healthy convo...lol...we are ALL entitled to our opinioins....just watch the language, and keep it clean...

Thanks

Corey
Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"Base model tC" is correct.

Regardless of what they call it, it's a bad idea. You KNOW for a fact that if they sell these most of the kids who buy it will leave it stock, never put a paint job or clearcoat on it, put trim rings on the steelies and slap on a fart can. Instant rice.

If it's going to be "special order" only, why not deliver it with no paint, no radio, and no wheels at all,(a true "blank canvas") and let the owner do the rest.

I bet even in that case, some kid looking to save a few bucks will buy one, leave it unpainted and put steelies on it. I mean they can't FORCE the buyer to "tune" it. They might as well call it what it is.... A base model, or entry-level tC.

-THE DON
Old 02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably the best way to approach this is to look at who else sells 'tuner cars' and see who is really buying them.

I understand the concept...sell a stripped down car that someone can save a few bucks on, so they can use the money they saved for mods and tuning.

But in this case...is it worth it? $1,500 is just enough to get you a new set of tires and rims. Then what? So you buy a 'tuner' tc, buy a new set of tires/rims, and now you're at the same starting point that other tc owners are starting from. Turbocharged, supercharged or NOS... no way is saving $1,500 going to be enough to cover the cost of those mods. It seems kind of ridiculous really.

Then I wonder who is really going to buy it. Something tells me that people who want a regular TC, but are more money-conscious, are going to end up being the ones to buy it. Meaning out of the few hundred that get produced, a small fraction will actually be customized and hot rodded, while a bigger percentage is going to be riding around town in the same exact car they got off the lot.

Quick Reply: Rumored 400-500 Scion tC Tuner Editions