5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

it is sad how they botched the release of this car
Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sciond
it is sad how they botched the release of this car
Certainly disappointing. I saw it at a presentation here in Portland a year ago along with the new tC
Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys should of been at the Chicago Auto show on the 1st Saturday.

EVERYONE (kids to retirees) was giving the iQ tons of attention! Which was mostly positive. Then of course, what was on everyone minds? "How much?"

--------------------------------------------

I LOVE THIS CAR SO MUCH ALREADY

8.4 gal tank!

Max speed is 93 mph! lol

These specs are off the gas European version....

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/ne...fullspecs.aspx
Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I couldn't believe they didn't have it available at the Washington Auto Show. Their excuse, it needed to be in New York. It's still 2 months away. The fact that a year after product announcement they still don't even have a concept model available for the non-major shows tells me Toyota has completely dropped the ball on the Scion brand. Couldn't they have just grabbed a Euro-spec iQ and changed badging?

It was entertaining to visit the Smart booth and listen to all the people making fun of it, though I felt kind of bad for the sales reps.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
I couldn't believe they didn't have it available at the Washington Auto Show. Their excuse, it needed to be in New York. It's still 2 months away. The fact that a year after product announcement they still don't even have a concept model available for the non-major shows tells me Toyota has completely dropped the ball on the Scion brand. Couldn't they have just grabbed a Euro-spec iQ and changed badging?

It was entertaining to visit the Smart booth and listen to all the people making fun of it, though I felt kind of bad for the sales reps.
iQ isn't at the Milwaukee auto show. Milwaukee dealers usually do the show and not TMC.

Fiat is building-on to the Chrysler plant in Illinois. 500,000 factory line for the Fiat 500. Here's the kicker, they don't know how well the sales are going to be in the US to get them even made? So they are taking huge risk. I did some research this AM about the 500; starting price tag is 17-20k!!! If I recall correctly; Smarts were going for $22+ but the economy was in great shape and the gas was in the average mid-$4's.

That's why I think Toyota is making HUGE wise decision. Rear window airbag which includes 9 more other airbags. Keep making them in Japan. This whole Libyan gas crisis is a blessing in disguise for them.

I hope some TMC online researchers sees this-
If they sold these with price tag of 11-14k; these WILL be flying off the lots!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

We can only hope. I'd guess they put it out at $14.5k and try to market it as a premium small car. If Scion is shooting for sales number and competes with the Smart, you're looking at a total market of around 100,000 sales. However, if they want to break out of the city car only segment, price has got to drop below $14k.

Honestly, why would you get an iQ if it's over 14k when something like the new Elantra costs the same, is larger, has 4 doors, still gets 40 MPG and frankly looks better. By holding off the iQ a year, I think they just got passed by the market.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

it looks like a guaranteed flop.. if I was them I would not even bother...file it with the ft-86 as looks like it will never happen or if it does it will no longer be relevant....
Scion might position itself to be like the Edsel if they are not careful
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by vettereddie
However, if they want to break out of the city car only segment, price has got to drop below $14k.

Honestly, why would you get an iQ if it's over 14k when something like the new Elantra costs the same, is larger, has 4 doors, still gets 40 MPG and frankly looks better. By holding off the iQ a year, I think they just got passed by the market.
Some people were telling me this back in early 2007, when I bought my xA for $14.1K. If people on here are wanting what a iQ can do, why not look into finding the cleanest 2005-06 xA you can find, which will also be more versitile in terms of loading stuff in the back (I searched Autotrader a couple of weeks back, and there were a few within 300 miles of me for $5000-7000 that looked clean, even a RS3 5-speed!!

If Toyota has to hold back on this, due to safety requirements, then so be it. The gas cost out there is already getting crazy, and its March! Obama needs to cut that "no drilling for oil on US terriorty" action, and get back to business!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, everything is riding on this mystical FT. Toyota needs a homerun or Scion is done
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
This whole Libyan gas crisis is a blessing in disguise for them
Libya has an extreme minimum to do with gas prices (produce less than 2% of the world supply of which we do not purchase any of it). it is all speculation right now. The supply of oil is higher than it has ever been in history and the demand in the US is lower than it has been since 1990. We are talking demand dropping by billions of barrels and supply is up by trillions. Speculators see this as a guise to make massive amounts of profit (think 2009 when oil companies made massive profits; trillions higher than 200. This is not the oil companies doing or OPEC for that matter it is pretty much guys sitting on the Wall Streets of the world 'predicting' that supply MIGHT drop by a fraction of a percent and seeing it as an investment opportunity.

By the way we get more than 1/3 of our gasoline from Canada and if Obama removes his ban we produce another 1/4-1/3 in the US.

EDIT: wait until the Day of Rage gets closer and supply will actually drop by a ton. We are talking 500 dollars a barrel and 10+ dollar gas.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Libya is an excuse for oil tycoons to raise oil prices now....
Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 AM
Hix
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
Libya is an excuse for oil tycoons to raise oil prices now....
Investors, not oil tycoons... Those don't really exist anymore; just old money and sheiks.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha! well, the reasoning for buying a xA being cheaper than an iQ...I mean, people aren;t buying xA's because they are a Scion or look cool. they have become cheap transportation now. Most of the ones i see are jacked up and broken, scratched, dented, missing grills. The car was too quirky for american buyers, but really popular in Japan. I saw more of those than bB's. Even today...iQ is bad timing and just plain too weird even for me and my VIP xB1 that's too weird for anyone in the midwest
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM

So sad for Japan and the Japanese. It'll be many years before they come close to getting back to where they were only last week and decades for some areas. It will be understandable if it's a year before we see the iQ.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlstrange
So sad for Japan and the Japanese. It'll be many years before they come close to getting back to where they were only last week and decades for some areas. It will be understandable if it's a year before we see the iQ.

I wonder if these puppies were supposed to be built in the future at the new factory? The Yaris plant that got ruined.

If there's going to be shortages on Toyota parts in the near future? Like Japanese Denzo parts.

I also wonder about this: How many brand new Toyotas are sitting at the bottom of the Pacific? What about this theory; how many of those 175 made for US customers Lexus LFAs are sitting in the containers with those very same Toyotas?

God may help the Japanese & give them luck in the future to overcome.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are things to think about, but most of the companies can't produce anyhting without power
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

Scion iQ: Prelaunch work on the Scion iQ minicar is being done to get it to dealers as early as June. Toyota says no delay is anticipated.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, no delay but the country it's produced in has cut back production....we'll see. no doubt there is a small stockpile. when, or if it's gone, they'll be shorthanded
Old 03-31-2011, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC rear quartes look like the dodge charger's ones. and so what if the rear seats recline (sort of) I still bus my head on the rear glass. (69" tall)

I think the iQ will sell way better then the Smart. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

better late than never I guess. I wanted one of these 2 years ago but I'm still waiting. I wanted the 1.0L manual or turbo diesel. If 1.3L CVT is the only option, that would be a deal breaker.

my real guess at the delay all these years is prius competition.

Quick Reply: Scion iQ Delayed?